Dempsey's Recovery

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Just wanted to give another update on Dempsey and thank everyone again for all of the support we have been given here.

He slept a lot better last night and didn't have to go outside quite every hour like he had the night before. He also didn't whine nearly as much so I was able to get some rest finally. DH has been sick the last couple of days so he can't relieve me much from hound duty! I've found it seems to help a lot if I sleep on the dog beds with him. When we take him outside, he's wanting to walk around to the backyard now rather than just stay close to the front door. He's getting around pretty well as a tripod! :)

Dempsey isn't as bruised up anymore either- he's a dull shade of purple now rather than the bright red/purple he was when he came home Saturday. We got the bandage off that was over part of the staples and he isn't seeping anymore at all. He's eating well (although only canned food so far!) again also. He is starting to seem more and more like his usual self.

The staples will come out sometime next week and we'll meet with oncology the same day regarding the chemo (still assuming it was osteo and not some other type of cancer- won't know for sure until Wednesday.

Everyone here and on CoG did tell me that I would be amazed at how quickly he started to heal and that's absolutely true! There have been brief moments when he's been struggling when I did wonder if we made the right decision given his age, but then I let go of that thought since the alternative was not an option we wanted to consider. Each day we are given with him now is truly a blessing and we are hoping that there are many more good days to come.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayers for healing for Dempsey :hope glad he is getting around better and all of you are getting some rest. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

That's great news, Heather. I was really really pleased to read your update. I hope Dempsey continues to do well during his recovery, and I hope you manage to get some rest..! Keeping you and your boy in my thoughts. :goodluck:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

So glad to hear your sweet fella is doing better. :) Sending him more light and kisses. :candle:kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

It sounds (and looks) like he's doing great :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

OMG...I can't believe how much better Dempsey looks! Keep up the good work sweetie...we are so proud of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest HersheysMom
I've found it seems to help a lot if I sleep on the dog beds with him.

Well aren't you the best mom ever! :)

He's looking good - I'm so glad he's doing so well.

Looks great! In case no one has suggested it yet, arnica gel can really help with bruising. It's amazing stuff.

Keep up the good work, Dempsey!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Yes! He's doing everything right, and so are you. It's amazing how much better he looks in the last picture. All that bruising and seeping and stitches are enough to make you wonder if you did the right thing, but be assured that you did. That soft tissue trauma looks scary, but heals quickly. And now there is no pain from the tumor, and no chance of that bone shattering.

Sending tons of white light for healing and a quick recovery. And gentle hugs to your sweet, brave boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Another amazing story and pup. Loads of prayers and wonderful thoughts coming your & Dempsey's way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He looks wonderful...reminds me of Winslow :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--