Dempsey's Recovery

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Thought I would give another update on Dempsey!

He's continuing to do better than we expected. He still has some times where he goes to sit up and yelps, but at least now, it isn't as often, as loud, or for as long. We had him checked today for a UTI because he has had some accidents and is peeing pretty frequently, but he doesn't seem to have one. We'll recheck next week if it continues. He also has a bit of redness/swelling near the incision, so we're keeping an eye on that as well. He goes in Tuesday to have the staples removed, so hopefully nothing happens between now and then!

Instead of just laying on his bed all the time, he is following us around some and seeking out attention again, which is good. The snow is melting here and it's warmed up a bit, so he can take a bit more time to walk around in the yard.

He's gotten pretty darn picky about what he's willing to eat, so we are trying to find a new food for him. He's refusing to eat what he was on before (Pinnacle) and will stop eating stuff I add after a few times (scrambed eggs, gravy, etc). I made a trip to the pet store today to pick up some samples of different foods to see if I can find a new one that he'll keep eating.

Demps keeps coming in here to the office, so I'll post these pictures quick and then need to get back to meeting all his demands! :)

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

Edited by HeatherDemps

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement!

Dempsey's looking great! Keep up the great job you two.

I know what you mean about questioning yourself, but I think it changes when you look into their eyes. Hope he continues to heal quickly for you!

Jamie

Way to go Dempsey! He looks so beautiful. It's heart-warming to see. Heather, looks like you're doing an AMAZING job. You should be proud of yourself :bighug and of your handsome brave boy. :wub: :wub: :wub:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey had his follow up visit at U of I today and they said he's doing great!! The staples came out and the surgeon is really pleased with how that area looks. They are doing a urine culture but his urine is still concentrated so the oncologist thinks the frequent potty trips may be a side effect of the Tramadol. That along with the obsessive licking. Last night, in addition to waking me up numerous times to go out, I woke up to Dempsey standing there, licking his freaking bed. There were wet spots all over the bed! He's licking his feet, the bed, the floor, whatever he can get his tongue on! :) So, the Tramadol stopped today so hopefully we'll see an improvement- should know tonight I guess since I was giving him the higher dose at night thinking that it'd help him (and me!) sleep better.

His blood work looked great also so he had his first chemo treatment today. He goes to our vet next week for a CBC check and then three weeks from today will have his next treatment. I'm hoping we don't see any side effects since he's been through so much already.

My husband had built a ramp for Dempsey to get into the SUV, but Dempsey won't have anything to do with it. For now, I borrow my parents' car to take him to vet visits and he hops right in and out. DH said maybe we should buy a car but I don't think so! :) Since Dempsey is doing so well, I thought I might let him back up on his beloved couch. :) Right now though, he's snoring away on his bed, so he can stay put!

Thanks again for all the support and prayers!!

Edited by HeatherDemps

Wonderful report on Dempsey!! :yay:confetti:yay

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:yay That is such great news! What a beautiful boy! He looks great, and I'm sure feels better with those pesky staples out. Keeping :goodluck he has no reaction to his first treatment. What a great job you are doing helping in his recovery! Continued prayers for Dempsey and you. :hope

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey is continuing to do well, fortunately. It amazes me how much better he gets every day and continues to get better. He is jumping up and off from the couch as good as he ever did before the surgery. Even though he has one less leg, he manages to hog even more of it and kick me even more frequently than before! His appetite is slowly coming back after his first chemo treatment last week, so we're continuing to feed him pretty much whatever he wants. He went in this morning for blood tests, so we're waiting on the results of those. His weight is just over 57 pounds which is so much lower than I expected- he was at 71/72 right before the surgery. He gobbled up some G/D the vet gave us this morning, so maybe he'll be willing to eat that one or two more times. Other than plain cheeseburgers from McDonalds, he isn't really willing to eat stuff more than once. Tonight, I'm making him meatloaf, so hopefully he'll like that. Hubby is getting a bit upset because I'm cooking stuff for the dog that I've never made for him. :)

Over the weekend, we took Dempsey to the pet store where there are a couple of steps he has to go up and down. He didn't even pause before going up and down them. I know 2 steps isn't a lot but I was so proud of him! My parents dog sit when we go on vacation and have a bi-level home with wood floors, so we have to get some practice in before trying a visit over there.

The snow has melted some here again, so I hoping over the next day or two we can make some trips down the street and back. I get so excited every time he does something, however little, for the first time again. :)

I love hearing about Dempsey. Your love and his courage shine through in every post.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Dempsey looks great and I'm so glad things are going smoothly. It won't be long until he's 100% back to his old self. Sending continued prayers for a great recovery!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest HeatherDemps

Thought I would share a couple of healing pictures of Dempsey. They turned out blurry- not sure why- but you get the idea! :)

I finally caved and lifted him up onto the bed this afternoon and he loved it. Was nearly impossible to get him back down but I don't want to leave him up there if I can't be sure he won't try to get down on his own when I'm not looking!

DSC01517.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

Awwww....such a sweetheart...and so brave. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest SadiesMom

He looks wonderful. I am so glad that he is doing so well. It's heartening to read the about the things that you and your husband have done to make him comfortable. I think that is why I love this website so much. There are so many good people on it.

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey has now conquered the bed! :) He is able to get up there and down all by himself. He is getting around great on three legs and there are times I have to chase after him outside. It's hard to believe he's been back home as a tripod for 4 weeks now. I feel like he's come so far in that time and I'm so proud of my sweet boy. He is doing is full body stretches again and gets up to greet us at the door with a wagging tail. :)

DSC01554.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

He is getting around great on three legs and... is doing is full body stretches again and gets up to greet us at the door with a wagging tail. :)

So glad your sweet boy is happy and feeling spunky again! :yay:kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Just look at you handsome sweetheart. We are all so proud of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Gosh, he looks good! Hope he continues to do well. :) :) :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.