Jane's In Bad Shape - Admitted To Hospital

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

Yesterday, I gave Jane and Jackson each a smoked pork bone from the grocery store. Apparently, Jane ate hers entirely during the night, and then vomited most of it up. When I got up, there was a pile of vomit consisting mostly of chewed up bone, along w/ pee (we think).

She was knuckling under when we tried to get her to walk to the stairs to go out and pee. DH carried her downstairs and outside, where she looked around, disoriented, before pooping out clear liquid. She had to be carried back inside. She drank some water, threw it up, and then made her way into the living room, where she apparently puked and/or pooped clear liquid, and then got onto the couch (I wasn't in there right then).

She was panting heavily, not very responsive, and had a fever, so we took her to the vet. They iced her down - her temp was 106 - and got about 3/4 of a bag of fluid into her (chilling it as well), and then we transferred her to the hospital when her temp was down to 104. At the hospital, her temp was 103. They Xrayed her and said it appears that she has a bowel obstruction, quite possibly a part of the bone she ate last night. They are going to do a barium series on her, and then we'll make a determination about whether surgery is a next step. (side note: in a strange twist of fate, her doc happens to be one of my childhood friends, who I hadn't seen in probably 25 years.)

I feel so awful. These were huge meaty, smoked pork bones in the pet section, processed locally at a farm just outside of town. I had no idea that she would do more than just chew on it...and when I went to bed last night, she hadn't shown any interest in the bone in several hours. Lesson learned on that one, that's for sure. :(

And honestly, given all she's been through in the past six months w/ her stroke and her tail amputation, I just don't know how much I can put her through this time. I don't even know if she'd survive surgery. I'm just at a loss. I want to give her a fighting chance, but I don't want to put her through something that's going to end up hurting her more and maybe not even helping.

I guess if y'all could just spare some prayers for her, that would be the best thing. I won't know much more until tomorrow - unless she takes a turn for the worse - and I'm on call at the hospital from 7a-7p, so if I get called in, DH may post updates in my absence.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by VelvetEars

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:(

Sending lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Don't base your decision on what has been, base it on what is now, and let them do the surgery if they want to. That's my advice based on seeing cases like this - and the sooner the better. The sooner you do it, the better her chances.

Sending many good thoughts and prayers for her. :hope :hope :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest VelvetEars
Don't base your decision on what has been, base it on what is now, and let them do the surgery if they want to. That's my advice based on seeing cases like this - and the sooner the better. The sooner you do it, the better her chances.

Sending many good thoughts and prayers for her. :hope:hope:hope

They want to do the barium first, to have a better idea of what they're dealing with, because there's only so much they can see on the Xrays. And I'm not making any hasty decisions - I want as much information as I can get.

Meredith-

you have all been through so much... my thoughts and prayers are with you and Jane.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.