Jane's In Bad Shape - Admitted To Hospital

Guest VelvetEars

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VelvetEars

Hey, everyone. I slept in today - was out late last night for a special movie screening that I'd waited a year to see, and am on call today. Fortunately, haven't been called in yet so thought I'd post a quick update.

I talked to the tech who's assigned to her. She said Jane is a little better than yesterday, but still in pain. She can be coaxed to get up and walk to the run, where she pees and has bloody diarrhea (soooo glad she's there and not here for that!!). The doc on this morning has taken a look at her, but her primary doc - my childhood friend - comes in at 1, at which point I'll get a better update and information on what the next step will be. The tech can't give me any results from the barium series - only the doc can - so that will come when I talk to the doctor later today. I will go ahead and say yes to the surgery if they think it will help her. She will, as before, be DNR should something happen.

Jackson is beside himself. I always said he would do poorly as an only dog, and now I know for sure. He's moping. He's looking for her. He'll take two cookies and leave them next to the bed, like he can't eat his unless she eats hers. (And this is the same dog who figured out how to pop open the plastic tub they're in and help himself while I'm at work.) She doesn't give two figs about him, but he's sad w/o her. I keep telling him that she's sick and she's at the doctor and we hope she'll come home soon, but it breaks my heart to see him so sad. I might try to take him to the park for a walk this afternoon - provided things seem quiet at the hospital - to take his mind off things.

I'll update again when I've heard from the doctor. Thanks for all your prayers. I believe they can help!!

Continued prayers!

And thanks for the update. Hugs for yourself and Jackson too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VelvetEars

I just got an update from the doctor. She is not moving the barium. The Xrays show there is some sort of mass behind/on her stomach. She's in a lot of pain, but is on pain meds. Just to do the exploratory surgery is at least $2000, with no guarantees that she'd a-survive surgery, or b-be able to recover from it.

I can't stop crying. I'm not ready to say goodbye to her. I'm just not. But it appears that it is time.

This SUCKS. There isn't anything else I can say. It just SUCKS.

{{{{{{Meredith}}}}}}

There's never any guarantee with surgery. Joseph came thru his fine and was able to come home same day. BUT that was him, not her. And our surgery was only $400 -- the expensive part for us was the time in the hospital.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VelvetEars

They consider it exploratory, and the estimate she gave was 1800-2000.

edited to add: given her previous issues (stroke, etc), she's high risk going into the surgery, and it complicates everything.

Edited by VelvetEars

ETA: I lied a little. The total bill from my vet (who did the surgery) was @ $600 I think. The basic surgical fee was $400; there were some extra monitoring and meds charges on top of that.

I'm sorry you didn't get better news. Keeping you and Jane in my thoughts. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm so sorry that you are facing this and that Jane is in pain. You're right- it just absolutely sucks. You are both in my thoughts and prayers today.

We were given the same choice and decided to let Peanut go. That was 2 years ago but all the signs you are saying were the same. We said a sad, long good bye to our baby...

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry for you. We went thru almost the same thing 6 years ago; we opted for the exploratory surgery and the dr. called us to say that when he opened her up, something had punctured her bowel and she had peritonitis. We didn't even get to say goodbye. I still cry to this day, I always think "if I had just taken her to the dr. earlier"... It's so awful, I know.

--Connie--

Guest lotsahounds

I'm so sorry Meredith. Jane seems to be a little fighter though! Would the vet maybe put you on a payment plan if you opted to do the exploratory?