Good Thoughts For My Gracegirl Please

Awww... I'm so glad to hear she is feeling better. I'm sure all the cookies and visitors are helping :) How did the pill pockets go over?

Down the hatch with no problems, she thinks they are great! Thanks so much for stopping by last night. Forest misses you already! :D He's wagging his tail in his sleep right now.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zachary, the humans here are at fault. Not the dog. That's the point that needs to be made. The sweetest greyhounds in the world can bite or nip another dog when racing about in play. Muzzles or separate turnouts prevent this sort of injury.

So how are Gracie and her mom doing this afternoon? Hope you both managed a nap today and get special treats :):grouphug

Cynthia,

If you read what I wrote I in no way blamed the dog. I was responding to another post and incorrectly quoted it. I basically said IF the dog's owners had complied with Lauren's thrice repeated request to bring the dog's muzzle none of this would have happened. The dog's owners are totally at fault for this horrific attack because they chose not listen. Paying Grace's vet bills is the very least they could do. They were irresponsible in the extreme and poor Grace suffered for their lack of concern.

I am relieved and delighted to hear Grace is on the mend and feeling emotionally more secure. I hope this incident is soon forgotten by her.

Zachary, the humans here are at fault. Not the dog. That's the point that needs to be made. The sweetest greyhounds in the world can bite or nip another dog when racing about in play. Muzzles or separate turnouts prevent this sort of injury.

So how are Gracie and her mom doing this afternoon? Hope you both managed a nap today and get special treats :):grouphug

Cynthia,

If you read what I wrote I in no way blamed the dog. I was responding to another post and incorrectly quoted it. I basically said IF the dog's owners had complied with Lauren's thrice repeated request to bring the dog's muzzle none of this would have happened. The dog's owners are totally at fault for this horrific attack because they chose not listen. Paying Grace's vet bills is the very least they could do. They were irresponsible in the extreme and poor Grace suffered for their lack of concern.

I am relieved and delighted to hear Grace is on the mend and feeling emotionally more secure. I hope this incident is soon forgotten by her.

Sorry Zachary, but the dog's owners, while they do share in the culpability, are NOT "totally at fault" for this incident. It was Lauren's call to let them all out together, even though one was not muzzled. Lauren has already acknowledged that she made an error of judgment and she has learned, as we all have, just how important it is to have "muzzles for all" when they are out in the yard together. In any case, the blame game and the outraged indignation that some have expressed here, while understandable, is not helping anything at all. I think/hope we all have learned from her experience and will make sure it doesn't happen to any dogs in our care.

I am really glad to see that Grace is on the mend and hope she has an uneventful recovery. :grouphug to Lauren and to Grace and :dogcookie for Fenway and the foster for being so good while Grace is recuperating.

Good morning all! It sure has been an interesting weekend. I REALLY appreciate everyone's concern for her, the healing thoughts will go a long way. Grace is doing as well as can be expected considering what she's been through. Friday night, the night of her surgery, she was crying in pain when she moved in her bed. She is spending most of her time on a bed in the corner of my living room where she is out of the way. Considering Fenway is 14 months old and Forest is 3 years old, they have been doing FANTASTIC with her. My house is to small for an ex-pen, so it's great they are being so good. (Really, it's too small for an ex-pen, it's a 750 sq ft, 2 bedroom house, and I already have two crates set up for the boys!)

Grace has been eating well, I've been delivering her bowl to her bed and fed her several small meals yesterday. She ate every bite. She ventured out of her corner to one of the other beds in the living room for a few minutes last night. She's been getting up to get drinks and has been asking to go outside. I know she's feeling better because she tried to cockroach for a belly rub last night, but then cried out in pain so we're not quite well enough to be silly. I've been sleeping on the couch to keep an eye on her and she just jumped up here with me. So things are looking up, the wounds are draining like they are supposed to and she seems to be feeling okay. :)

ETA: The dog who did this to her has been staying with BooMooAndDoo since yesterday morning at 10am. I'll pick her up this evening and will crate her until her family comes to get her. I'm so grateful to BooMooAndDoo for helping me out this weekend.

I'm glad Grace is feeling better. This is a tough thing for everybody.

Is it possible for BooMooandDoo to keep the pup until her parents come home? I'm sure you could use the space the crate takes up for something else, and it would free you up to take care of Grace. I'm sure that there are some pretty heavy emotions involved, and Grace will pick up on your stress and that is the last thing she and your pups need right now.

Having been in your spot when Lucy was bit by a neighbors dog, as well as having a dog that bit someone else's when I was younger, I really understand this issue from both sides. I feel for you.

Guest BooMooandDoo
I'm glad Grace is feeling better. This is a tough thing for everybody.

Is it possible for BooMooandDoo to keep the pup until her parents come home? I'm sure you could use the space the crate takes up for something else, and it would free you up to take care of Grace. I'm sure that there are some pretty heavy emotions involved, and Grace will pick up on your stress and that is the last thing she and your pups need right now.

No worries, the dog is safe with me. It will be hanging out with my clan until the parents arrive, that way Grace can get some rest! Continued hugs :grouphug for Grace.

Edited by BooMooandDoo

maybe your greysitting co-op should get together and have some kind of class, or make up a list of rules that everyone needs to follow. I just feel the need to point out some things. I've done greysitting for a number of years now, and have had more than 3 dozen different greyhounds in and out of here. people can't treat greysitting like it's no big deal, and anyone with a greyhound is cut out for it. just like fostering, I think it takes a certain attitude and knowledge. every single time a new pup is brought in, the pack changes and has new rules and new idiosyncrasies. it takes vigiliance and it also takes an easiness in attitude that not everyone has. they sound like opposites, but the easiness in attitude is to put the dogs at ease and the vigilance is to never believe for a minute that nothing can go wrong.

I have been in your shoes. my girl was bitten by another greyhound, seemingly, over nothing. me and the other dog's owner were within feet. the dogs weren't running, just seemed to be sniffing around together. next thing, there was a slight yelp and my dog walked up to me with her shoulder torn open. there were stitches, staples, drains, no sleep, the works. the owner offered to pay for the vet, and I only accepted half the payment, because I felt that bringing dogs into my home, is my choice, and I am taking a chance. it never would have occurred to me to blame the owner or even the other dog at all. crap happens sometimes, that is a chance that everyone with multiples in their household takes. to blame owners and vilify the dog makes absolutely no sense to me. the owners weren't there and the dog is being a dog. you don't know what set it off any more than I know what set the one off on mine. I don't think my dog comes across as obnoxious to other dogs, but she is my baby and I am probably blind to it. I have changed my greysitting somewhat because of it...I only allow males in my house now, and only one at a time. that may sound silly to some, but I honestly do feel the males are more easygoing in general and the females are more likely to be snarky, especially at other females.

I also wanted to say that many people have forgotten many things that they should have brought along for their dogs. I've had people forget to bring dog food, dog beds, all kinds of stuff. to blame the owners because they kept forgetting the muzzle makes no sense to me either. if the dog is an only dog, they certainly aren't used to muzzling on a daily basis, and it could very easily be forgotten. and yes, they went back for it, and forgot again. well, people are packing for their own trips as well as their dogs...it's normal to forget things. even when reminded. how many times have people gone on vacation and forgotten their toothbrush or deodorant? seriously, since when are people villains because of a little forgetfulness?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Winterwish

The humans on all sides seem to have tightened their practices up. Each human involved missed something vital in preventing this.

That's not an issue of blame,just the way it is.

Considering that,I think it's very considerate of the people to be paying the whole bill.

It's so upsetting and it happens so darn fast. :( .

Sending thoughts of healing for Grace. :hope:hope

Edited by Winterwish

I hope Grace continues to heal well.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I'm just seeing this, and I've read all 6 pages with my heart in my throat. I'm so sorry this happened, and just so grateful it wasn't worse, and that Lori has been able to take in the other hound. Lori, what you said about lessons learned: :nod

Maybe booties for her back feet, to keep her from scratching? Might be more claw-blunting/proof than socks. I use short ones on Wabi and they stay on fine, even on long walks. That shouldn't be a problem.

Sending tons of gentle thoughts of healing, and hugs to everyone who got so rattled!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

How terrifying. I'm glad Grace is feeling better and hope she's back in roaching shape soon. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Grace update Monday:

I brought her to work with me so I could keep an eye on her. Today is by far her worst day. She is very sore and has a hard time getting in and out of the car. I now have to lift her back end in, she never lets me do that and today she gave me these big pleading eyes that said "help me, it hurts!" She's still on her pain meds, I might call the vet to see if she can have any extras tonight. I can't wait to get home and get the bandage off, and apply the warm compresses to get her cleaned up too. If the drains have stopped draining tomorrow we can have them removed. I'll take her in anyway just to be checked on. Getting her into the clinic is going to be a nightmare though, I can't drag her in like I usually have to. It's going to take some thinking to get her in there. I'm going to call to see if they have a back door we can use. Any other suggestions to get her in the door would be great. She is usually food motivated, but not at the vet.

One bright spot for her day was to see her friend "Curt the food guy" at work. He works in our IT department and Grace loves him, probably because he always gives her too many good and stinky treats. She was so happy to see him, and leaned into him. :wub: When he moved away to pet Fenway, she followed him and leaned into him again. She ws thrilled to get the attention, that was the bright spot in her otherwise crappy day.

Edited by gracegirl

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Hopefully this is the worst day. I think of it like working out hard, the pain is worst on day 3. We will keep our fingers crossed that the drains get to come out tomorrow. That has to make her feel better! Keep the pain killers going. We will keep you in our thoughts tonight. From my couch to yours. ;) Get some rest. Tomorrow will be better!!!

The Girls

Things have gotten a bit worse. :( We got home from work and the vet instructed me to remove the bandage. As soon as I removed it, she scratched it with her back foot and screamed in pain. I gave her another Tramadol and immediately wrapped her foot in a sock. She's laying on a bed in the kitchen panting. Ugh! She ripped a drain too, didn't pull it out but it's torn. I cannot take the day off tomorrow to watch her. I can bring her with me but she has to stay in the dog kennel or the car. I can only check on her every two hours. Now it's loosely wrapped with vet wrap, and I have some turtlenecks she can wear tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Edited by gracegirl

I don't think dropping her at the vets is a good idea. She's mostly been sleeping, I keep checking on her, and she's leaving her wound alone. Leaving her at the vet would be too traumatic for her. Last time she had to spend extended time there she worked herself into a frenzy (I was there with her too) and her temp shot up. I don't think that would be a good combo today.

I used the suggestion from Xan and put a bootie on her, theres a tube sock under that. I think she'll be okay unti lwe can get there later to see if the drains can be removed.

Thanks guys, as always!