Good Thoughts For My Gracegirl Please

Lauren,

I'm finally got on Greytalk and believe me, this is not the first post I'd hoped to make...

I am so sorry to hear about Grace. She's a total love and I know you both are hurting right now. Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you and Grace.

I understand your feelings about the hound sitting coop at the moment. We've had some good success with it, both taking dogs in and finding sitters. That's how we met you and Grace, which has been a wonderful experience. We do insist that potential hound-sitting candidates - dog and human - come over to our house ahead of the sitting dates and meet us, our hounds and two parrots. If anything seems less-than ideal I wouldn't hesitate to send the people and their dogs elsewhere.

Try not to beat yourself up over what happened.

I'm glad to hear the attacking dog's owners are doing the right thing about the vet bills. Hopefully they're as mortified as the rest of us who are reading your posts.

:welcome2 Well hello! Good to see you here. I'd also rather not have this be your first post....but if this can prevent even one injury to another dog, then I've accomplished what I wanted to from this post. I also know that positive thinking goes a long way, so I'm glad there are so many get well wishes for Grace here too.

Hopefully this can serve as a wake up call to the other folks in the co-op. Dogs are different on their own turf, on someone else's turf, and also on neutral turf. We've met this dog before, but on neutral turf. I don't know what set her off here.....but with all our play dates and other boarders we've had at our house my dogs are very comfortable with "extras". In fact, the foster, Fenway and Grace are all snoozing with me in our living room right now. :wub:

I've got my extra muzzle now, so I'm prepared for anyone's forgetfulness in the future.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Grace! I hope Fenway will be a good brother and help take care of her. Don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen.

I hope she heals well and can overcome the emotional part of this.

You're in my thoughts!

Mindy

Mom to Max (grey), Buttermilk (grey) and Winston (iggy) and Skinkids, Ally and Ben! In loving memory of Angels Chelsey(Weim), whom we lost on August 26, 2004, Majestic(Chow) on November 20, 2005, on October 5, 2007, we lost Natasha(lab mix), and on May 28, 2009 we lost our greyhound Ike born 7/31/2005 You were too young to go!!!! We lost Monte(Whippet) on September 23, 2009. We miss you all!

Guest DebSzal

I've been thinking about your Grace all day. I hope she is doing better. Her recovery may be slow but she will have many attentive nurses to help her along the way. This was a tragic accident, but I am convinced by your story that muzzles are a necessity at times. I would hate to have my dog attack or be attacked herself. I'm glad at least the owners are being responsible, so that is one thing you won't have to worry about and you can concentrate on Grace's recovery. Give her a kiss for me and my Grace and kept us posted. :colgate

Horrible accident. Please go easier on yourself. Gracie's neck looks pretty bad, but thank goodness it will heal. She will be ok and you will be ok. Lessons were learned, bills are being paid and Gracie is getting wonderful care, no doubt. I know how it hurts when our grey get hurt. We are quick to blame ourselves, but there' nothing we can do now except help and realize things will be better. Hugs to Gracie and to you. continue to let us know how she is doing.

Ouch! Those pictures! Poor Grace, sending healing white light for her and a :grouphug for you both.

I've often been scoffed at and accused of being over protective for insisting on muzzles for introductions, play dates and for turning dogs out seperately when something seems a little off. I just wish those people could see this thread. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything like this happen yet, but it is always in the back of my mind that it could.

I'm happy that you now have a spare muzzle, always good. I keep a muzzle for each plus a spare in the car too.

Guest vahoundlover

Checking in to see how Grace is doing. WOW! Poor Grace :grouphug Don't beat yourself up, accidents happen :grouphug Continued prayers and healing thoughts coming your way.

Guest loveagrey

Good heavens! Poor Grace!!! Looks awfully sore... I hope things heal up well, and I certainly hope the owners have learned something from this.

Healing thoughts on the way for Grace.

:f_white

Poor, poor baby. :cry1 The pictures are shocking. I am so sorry this happened. Thinking of you both and keeping my fingers crossed for a quick recovery... :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

You must have been posting at the same time I was writing my first response... because I didn't see those pics initially.

The hardest part now will be keeping her away from the wound. My Bauer ripped his drains out TWICE... talk about frustrating...Ugh!

What we found that worked was a kid-sized turtleneck. Covered the wounds enough to keep him away from them, but also allowed enough air in for things to heal.

Hugs to you and Grace. :(

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

How's she doing this morning? Looks like your vet did an awesome job putting things back together again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good morning all! It sure has been an interesting weekend. I REALLY appreciate everyone's concern for her, the healing thoughts will go a long way. Grace is doing as well as can be expected considering what she's been through. Friday night, the night of her surgery, she was crying in pain when she moved in her bed. She is spending most of her time on a bed in the corner of my living room where she is out of the way. Considering Fenway is 14 months old and Forest is 3 years old, they have been doing FANTASTIC with her. My house is to small for an ex-pen, so it's great they are being so good. (Really, it's too small for an ex-pen, it's a 750 sq ft, 2 bedroom house, and I already have two crates set up for the boys!)

Grace has been eating well, I've been delivering her bowl to her bed and fed her several small meals yesterday. She ate every bite. She ventured out of her corner to one of the other beds in the living room for a few minutes last night. She's been getting up to get drinks and has been asking to go outside. I know she's feeling better because she tried to cockroach for a belly rub last night, but then cried out in pain so we're not quite well enough to be silly. I've been sleeping on the couch to keep an eye on her and she just jumped up here with me. So things are looking up, the wounds are draining like they are supposed to and she seems to be feeling okay. :)

ETA: The dog who did this to her has been staying with BooMooAndDoo since yesterday morning at 10am. I'll pick her up this evening and will crate her until her family comes to get her. I'm so grateful to BooMooAndDoo for helping me out this weekend.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Its encouraging that she is eating well and trying to roach. I hope she is soon back to her silly self.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest karma98104

Awww... I'm so glad to hear she is feeling better. I'm sure all the cookies and visitors are helping :) How did the pill pockets go over?