Good Thoughts For My Gracegirl Please

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug I'm so sorry about your sweet Grace. Poor baby :(:hope

Have you been able to get in touch with the owners? They need to pay for the vet bills.

Take care and please keep us posted :grouphug

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

:grouphug I'm so sorry about your sweet Grace. Poor baby :(:hope

Have you been able to get in touch with the owners? They need to pay for the vet bills.

Take care and please keep us posted :grouphug

:nod

I think they still don't believe that this could have happened. I called an left a sobbing message with her, and then call him and got him live. I said "do you want me to put it on my credit card and you can reimburse me, or do you want to pay the vet directly?" They will be covering the cost.....but it in no way makes Grace pain free this AM. Every time she moves even the slightest bit she whimpers.

My heart is breaking. I just woke her up (5:30AM my time) and got her outside. We were in the yard and Fenway walked over to us, she was terrified of him. :( I'm crying again as I write this. People who have known her since I adopted her a year and a half ago cannot believe how much she's changed. She's now outgoing and confident, patient and loving, and is friendly with all people and animals. (or I should say "was" friendly with all animals.)

I'm just torn up over this!

I too thought "I guess it's okay if she doesn't have a muzzle, those things happen to other people". Guess what? I should have (and will from now on) insist on muzzles for everyone. Part of me wishes Grace was not muzzled because she could have at least fought back, but part of me is glad she didn't because I could have been rushing two bleeding dogs to the vet instead of just one. Stupid, stupid me!

I really appreciate everyones thoughts and prayers. You have not idea how much it means to me right now. I'll update again after we visit Dr. Fisher this AM to take a peek under the bandage. I'm hoping I can post more photos.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Im so sorry this happened :grouphug How horrible. Sending prayers :hope

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

We were in the yard and Fenway walked over to us, she was terrified of him.

She's feeling vulnerable right now. You'll want to keep the other dogs away from her while she's healing. Maybe run an x-pen across the area she's sleeping in so that she can relax and feel safe, and walk her separately from the other dogs for at least a week. When she feels stronger and is more comfortable she'll be fine with them. You don't want another dog bumping into her by mistake while she's healing. More hugs to both of you!

We were in the yard and Fenway walked over to us, she was terrified of him.

She's feeling vulnerable right now. You'll want to keep the other dogs away from her while she's healing. Maybe run an x-pen across the area she's sleeping in so that she can relax and feel safe, and walk her separately from the other dogs for at least a week. When she feels stronger and is more comfortable she'll be fine with them. You don't want another dog bumping into her by mistake while she's healing. More hugs to both of you!

Good advice, thank you. The other dogs (Fenway and Forest) are doing fantastic with her, and leaving her alone. I'll do separate turnouts for them now. I though she might like to see her baby brother, he's been wonderful and very concerned about her. Not so much, I guess. :( Everyone except for Grace will be crated while I'm away, and for the time dog #4 (the attacker) is in my house she will be crated unless going for walks or to the bathroom. A friend is going to take #4 for the day today and tomorrow, so that is a huge load off my shoulder.

There are angels out there, and they've stepped up to help when I've needed them the most. Thank you!

Edited by gracegirl

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

:grouphug I'm so sorry to read this! Sending prayers to Grace and you. I'm sure time will heal her wounds and rebuild her confidence. That was quite an attack -- good thing it didn't puncture anything critical.
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Poor Grace. :( I hope she heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

!!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!! Not grace!!! :( That is just just awful and the pictures--- !!! What on earth happened??? :( :( :( I don't know what to say :(

If I can do anything at all PLEASE CALL ME. And in the future- if you need help taking care of pups or a friend to go to the vet with-please call me too!!

What did the owners say? Are they willing to pony up some vet costs?? :(

"Some of the vet costs"?

They damn well better be paying every dime!

Lauren, I am SO sorry for poor Grace!

I guess, if you ever decide to do this again (board), you simply tell them "bring the muzzle, or don't bring the dog," and be prepared to turn them away at the door if the boarder and family show up without your required items.

George sends his love!

Susan

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

!!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!! Not grace!!! :( That is just just awful and the pictures--- !!! What on earth happened??? :( :( :( I don't know what to say :(

If I can do anything at all PLEASE CALL ME. And in the future- if you need help taking care of pups or a friend to go to the vet with-please call me too!!

"Some of the vet costs"?

I guess, if you ever decide to do this again (board), you simply tell them "bring the muzzle, or don't bring the dog," and be prepared to turn them away at the door if the boarder and family show up without your required items.

George sends his love!

Susan

Boy, you took the words right out of my mouth! Yes, they are paying 100% of the vet bills, the meds, and I'm even thinking of asking them to replace Grace's brand new collar that is ripped to shreds. I'll also be sending them any follow up vet bills.

I think I'm only taking boarders I know from now on. We have some good grey friends that come play in the yard often. Everyone is muzzled for these play dates. They are all welcome to stay with me in the future, but I think I'm taking my name off the list for the grey sitting co-op.

Oh my, poor Grace and poor you. Hugs to both of you. So sorry this happened.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I'm so sorry! I hope she heals quickly and unevenfully :hope :hope

You probably need to start thinking now about how you're going to keep her from scratching her neck once it starts to heal and itch. It will help to tape a nice thick sock on her back leg...the tape would go around the thinnest part of her foot, on the sock only of course, not on her fur/skin...you would have some hanging over the taped part. This is going to be a hard one because I can't think of a way to actually cover her neck. You may want to ask the vet if they have any ideas, too...hopefully Gracie will be one to leave her owie alone, but you never know. Are you going to be able to be home with her?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Poor Grace. I just feel for you. Lucy was attacked on a walk on Xmas eve a couple of years ago, and had drains and staples and looked like a Civil War soldier in the infirmary. Did the vet say if it was all surface damage or were muscles involved? I'm hoping her collar took the brunt of it, so your new collar was worth every penny. :D

After Lucy was mending, Diesel slept near her and followed her to make sure she was ok. So brothers aren't all bad... Lucy was a shy and spooky girl who lived in my closet that first year we had her, and over the years she has blossomed into a pretty outgoing silly girl. Some people have told me she's dominant too, and some of that could be because of her experience. I'm always a little apprehensive when she meets a new dog, but I try not to let that travel down the leash. For the most part, she gets along with everybody and wasn't afraid of the boys I fostered.

Don't worry too much about Grace being afraid. Our dogs take our cues from us. So for now send Grace calm healing thoughts and I'm sending you a big huge hug.

Guest BooMooandDoo

"Some of the vet costs"?

George sends his love!

Susan

Boy, you took the words right out of my mouth! Yes, they are paying 100% of the vet bills, the meds, and I'm even thinking of asking them to replace Grace's brand new collar that is ripped to shreds. I'll also be sending them any follow up vet bills.

I think I'm only taking boarders I know from now on. We have some good grey friends that come play in the yard often. Everyone is muzzled for these play dates. They are all welcome to stay with me in the future, but I think I'm taking my name off the list for the grey sitting co-op.

This won't effect my April 3rd reservation will it :D. I'm just joking. Glad to see she's doing better this morning.

Guest jessicaksu125

I am so sorry Lauren! That is awful. I feel so bad for Grace. At least the family is taking responsibility and paying for the injury, but you're right, that won't make your baby feel better!