What's This In His Mouth?

ahicks51

We're taking him in to the vet tomorrow (the emergency vet clinic, based on the description, said it could wait), but- ACK! Anyone know what this is?

P1010050.jpg

The white slimy stuff is on both sides of the tongue, as well as growing on the back of the tongue, too. You can't see it unless he's panting (even with his mouth open, looking for it, it doesn't show until he sticks his tongue forward).

No changes in diet, no problems breathing. Anyone know what this is? Please?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably fungus.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Will it scrape off? Could be thrush, a yeast infection.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Looks like thrush to me. As a pediatric nurse I've seen in a lot in babies and it looks very much the same. It's a yeast infection so some antifungal will probably take care of it.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Looks like thrush to me. As a pediatric nurse I've seen in a lot in babies and it looks very much the same. It's a yeast infection so some antifungal will probably take care of it.

If it is it's contagious. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after touching.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

If it is it's contagious. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after touching.

Thrush was the first thing that came to mind; I set up my brother-in-law's medical billing system, and it was a running joke with thrush: treat one, then treat the spouse. I'm sure the medicos will get the connotation. So, yes- I'm a little neurotic about disinfection to begin with. I'm just not sure how to handle the communal water bowl. I may have to withhold water and provide separate bowls as required, yes?

The evil thing about this is that it's *fleshy*. I thought he'd somehow gotten a wad of wet paper in his mouth, but thought he'd surely be trying to get it out with his tongue. I was shocked to find it all the way back on his tongue, as well as both sides. There's a *lot* of it- and although I seem to recall thrush can form secondary structures, I've never seen a picture in which there's so dang MUCH of it. When I asked the e-vet what thrush looks like in the canine, they said it's more of a problem in horses. Not helpful.

It doesn't seem to bother him. It's not pseudomembranous, as it won't wipe off. It must be some sort of leucoplakia.

He's on pred, 5 mg three times a week. I know prednisone can be an immunosuppressant, but it's such a low dose for such a big dog.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I'm no expert but that is a really low dosage of pred to be immunosuppressant. Fingers crossed it is something easily treated!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

"they said it's more of a problem in horses"

Thrush in horses occurs in the feet. It's black and smells VERY nasty. It is an anaerobic bacteria. Not a yeast infection as it is in people - definitely different from whatever your dog has. Please keep us posted.

Susan

Edited by smday

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

"they said it's more of a problem in horses"

Thrush in horses occurs in the feet. It's black and smells VERY nasty. It is an anaerobic bacteria. Not a yeast infection as it is in people - definitely different from whatever your dog has. Please keep us posted.

Susan

I'm surprised the vet even mentioned thrush is horses, since it IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. :blink: Like smday says...in horses it's the hooves that are affected. I hope it's something easily treatable.....keep us posted!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Strange! That is a new one for me....I am definitely interested in the results so please update after you visit to the vet. I hope it is something that is easily treated.

I've never had to deal with it personally, but I was under the impression that the white surface part of thrush would wipe off leaving a sore, ulcerous place underneath. This looks more like some kind of growth, if it won't wipe off at all ... let us know what the vet says. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

That is so bizarre. It looks like chicken fat or the marbling in steaks.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Winterwish
The evil thing about this is that it's *fleshy*...

...He's on pred, 5 mg three times a week. I know prednisone can be an immunosuppressant, but it's such a low dose for such a big dog.

Wow ahicks,that really is concerning. It does look like much more then just thrush,I've never seen thrush (in humans) quite like that,I mean,to that degree. But it may give a very different presentation in dogs. ?

I'd say too as Batmom said,it does have a fungus type of nature to it tho'.

The thing that came to mind that it may be,is a build up of exudate caused by a fistula somewhere along that area.

As for the low dose prednisone and effects. Even low maintainence doses can never be underestimated in what they can bring about in terms of side efffects over time for sure.

Sending good thoughts to you and your dear patient! :hope:dogcookie:dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish

Okay- back from the vet; managed to snag a 9:30 appointment. Just got back from filling the script they either didn't have or thought I could get cheaper at the store (memo: ~$16 for fluconazole at Fry's supermarket versus $39 at Costco!).

The vet is as stumped as I am. Her recommendation was $800+ worth of tests including gas anaesthesia and a biopsy. Two of those tests included a blood panel (which would show he has low white cell counts, same as every other greyhound, or he had an infection- which we can pretty much guess from the appearance of the mouth) and a thyroid panel (which will show that either IDEXX doesn't have the resolution at that level, or that MSU does or does not have their thyroid-by-dialysis test online).

I figure something like this could be physiological in origin, parasitic, or pathogenic. If it's a parasite, I think we're all in trouble because it's nasty. If it's purely physiological (like a tumor), it sure had a sudden onset and got worse fast (he wasn't coughing yesterday). That leaves viral, bacterial, and fungal. I'm going to say "not viral," and guess bacterial or fungal- probably fungal. Which leaves one course of action- antibiotics and antifungals. With antifungals, there's not a big selection- conazole-class antifungals, amphotericin ("amphoterrible"), and griseofulvin, terbinafine.

So, for $200, it was an exam and antibiotics (Clavamox), and another $16 at the pharmacy for fluconazole. Much as I'd like Coco to be treated like a lab rat and biopsied, I'm going to skip that for now as I figure the benefits of a change in treatment venue are outweighed by the risk, stress, and expense of gas anaesthesia. And he's also off the pred- so I need to find something to keep his environmental allergy under control, probably Claritin.

Meanwhile, feeding time around here consists of individual bowls which are then thrown in the dishwasher with a slug of bleach. Water is provided regularly, using the same conditions. On the bright side, the left lateral aspect of his tongue (the one in the image) looks better than it did yesterday.

I'm betting this is some fungal infection gone nutso, possibly complicated by the (tiny dose) prednisone. Between the antifungal, the antibiotic, and some good, solid rest, I'm hoping he'll improve quickly.

ETA: He can't be feeling all that bad; he ate three photocopied pages from a plant tissue culture manual that were lying on the floor. Strangely, he stopped at the paper underneath (Harvais, 1974)- much more important to me as I'd not yet harvested the information from it that I needed. After that, he still had room for breakfast, which I'd withheld seeing as we were going to the vet and all.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Sending my prayers that this is just a icky fungal type of thing. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

AJ--the first thing I thought of when I first saw the pic the other day is that the mass looked like chicken fat. Perhaps it's just a lypoma that's popped up in a weird place. If that's the case, a needle biopsy to extract some cells should tell you that, and then possibly some minor surgery if the lump is bothering the pup. Otherwise, it could probably stay put if that's all it is.

Just thinking out loud,

DD

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04