Boy Or Girl ?

Guest das1075

Boy or Girl  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a preference for male or female greyhounds?

• Boy
    • Girl
    • Doesn't matter! They're all GREYT!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 boys here. Keiper, Scott and Bandit. Plus a male husky/retriever mix and one lone female black lab mix. I just like the boys, although there have been a few female fosters I could easily have kept. :)

Joanne

Guest HipToBeDog

I love both the males and the females but as long as I have my dobie girl, I can only have male greys in my house. My girl seems to dislike all females but sure does love the boys. I've got 2 male greyhounds with very different personalities but both are quite goofy and very affectionate.

Guest lotsogreysmom

We have 3 males and 7 females. When I first got into greyhounds, I wasn't too keen no males because of the marking issue. Well, along came our big male, Houston, who totally stole my heart and helped me realize how wonderful the males are. They are big cuddlers and more affectionate, IMO. My girls are hormonal, aren't we all?!! LOL!

I read that female greyhounds are more desired, but the males can make better pets because the don't show the herding or dominate traits the female can display.

I have a female and she is very gentle and sweet. She has been an incredibly easy first dog for us. I think the individual dog's personality is more important than gender. The females do generally seem to be adopted more quickly though.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

2 of each. LOVE THEM ALL. Teddy is closest to DH, Beau, Chloe and Polli are all closet to me.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mdwolfen

One sissy...oops....I mean male here with his stuffed bear. :P Used to have another male too. :( I think my next one will be female though. Just for a change.

Guest greymommy
We have 1 of each. My boy loves people, always wants to be pet by anyone. My girl is cautious and doesn't want strangers petting her.

Exactly the same here

We have one of each. Bailey is more dominant while Ben is more laid back. We chose a female initially and then adopted a male on the advice of others which was great advice. We found a small male so they're both very close in height and weight.

I notice in playgroup the girls are more dominant (lately its just been the same pups coming out), but I can't remember if the girls are more dominant in the larger group or not.

th_Dewey2064.jpg

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I didn't know that much about gender when i adopted; i just locked eyeballs with Todd in the pound and that was it. (I wasn't actually aware that i wanted a greyhound, but i understand more about this addiction issue now.) As a boy he does seem very affectionate, likes cuddles and loves everybody.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JJStingersMom

Just one for me. A BOY . But I would love a girl... Next time I plan on getting a girl. Hopefully a puppy...

So if anyone out there has baby greyhound girl pups can me in mind. Thank you.

:colgate

Edited by JJStingersMom

I requested a female since my miniature schnauzer seems to want to be the top male! I am getting another female - she is Boo Szee's littermate! I haven't had female dogs myself (my family had some when I was growing up) and it has been fun having one! I'm sure a male would have been as Greyt! :P

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

One of each...Mac my 5 year old red male and his new sister,Dessi an 8 year old retired broodie ...plus Mac's bridge sister Charm...we've also fostered several of each....bottom line I love them all

Dogs and small children are the only people I really get along with....MacDaddy

It doesn't matter to me, they are all wonderful, but I do have a special place in my heart for little brindle girls. When I went to adopt I had a 60lb weight limit in my apartment complex so I looked at the small females. It took Grace no more than 5 minutes to make it very clear that I was supposed to be her mom. Fenway was adopted from afar as a puppy, so I had only a slight idea of what he was going to be like all grown up. While he's still not grown up all the way yet, he's a funny little guy. He's not going to get that big and he lets Grace be the boss of him. He's very cuddly and has zero concept of personal apace. :D I've always wanted a GIANT boy dog, maybe next time.....

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• 1 year later...
Guest 3greysinPA

2 lil girlies... both so sweet and so cute and so loving...

and 1 Figgy!!! king Figgy that is... the majestic hound dog... :lol

LOVE them all.

Guest Hotdogs

One boy, one girl. I adopted my big boy first and then 8 months later, my girl adopted us.

My girl is more friendly with strangers in a very lady like way...very kissy. Even though she's very affectionate, it's on her terms, otherwise she is quite independent. She's also nimble and quick and just so dainty.

My boy is most definitely a boy. He isn't a kisser, but he follows me everywhere and won't seek out attention from strangers unless he see that my sweet girly girl is getting a lot of attention. He's also a bit of moose, has no idea how big he is, tends to run into stuff because he just gets so excited, he doesn't watch where he's going.

They are different from each other but both wonderful dogs and they get along very well. Obviously though, they have compatible personalities which is why they get along so well, and I'm sure that gender is only a small part of that.

Guest urchin

3 males here. At the time I got my first, Woody, I was single and working all day. The adoption agency suggested a male might be better because they have a tendency to be a little more laid back and might be less likely to get into trouble during the day. I don't know if this is true, but Woody was a beautiful dark brindle with a sweet personality who I picked from just a picture on the internet. He had been at the kennel over a year before I took him and he really appreciated having a forever home.

About a year later I took Woody back to the kennel to get a 'nice small female' as a companion. Woody had no interest in the females, and home came cow-dog Big Jake (his racing name actually was Bow Big Jake) - all 85 pounds of him.

My DH brought a female setter to the mix. She rules the roost and is, in my mind, the reason I prefer males. She's a little dominant, a little fussy, and generally acts like she's a princess. Not that I don't love her, but I'm partial to the boys. With her in the house it would be very difficult to add another grown female.

Just added was Blue, an unbelievable sweet, affectionate boy who's quickly becoming my :heart dog. I don't know what it is, there's just something about him.

It'll probably be boys for me from now on!

Our ex-broodie is the sweetest, most gentle, most wonderful dog you will ever meet.

Our boys have been two of the silliest, happiest and funniest dogs you will ever meet.

I love girls & boys! :rolleyes:

Edited by Sundrop

3 males and one female Grey here, plus an elderly female Labrador. I was always a "female dog" person (have had female Labs for 35 years) but the male Greys have changed my mind. I prefer the male Greys now.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.