Boy Or Girl ?

Guest das1075

Boy or Girl  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a preference for male or female greyhounds?

• Boy
    • Girl
    • Doesn't matter! They're all GREYT!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eeyore

5 boys, here...My 1st was a female...I prefer the boys, however, since my little girl passed 10/31/06, I never realized how much she was able to keep my guys in control, though it was never a visable thing...with all 5 guys, I find the need, no matter when, to want to be Alpha male, in my yard...maybe why the need for 3 surgeries, drains and sutures since 02/2007, hence they wear their muzzles in the house...

Guest dauphinelaura

One girl grey, one boy non-grey. We chose the girl because she'd been at the shelter the longest and I knew the moment I saw her that I was in love!

OOPS!!!

I picked boy because I have one and I thought that was the poll.

Never have had a girl, but met more reserved girls than reserved boys. I'd prefer goofier ones to the reserved ones...boys or girls.

Guest smarthound

We have 3 females and 1 male. Their personalities are all completely different and we love them all dearly. Personally, I don't think gender matters much.

I have 1 of each- my female, Kelsey, is very clingy and doesn't let me out of her sight. My male, Sterling, is more independent but also more playful.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

We have 2 boys here, there litterbro's. We knew we'd probably get 2 and expected it would be a boy & girl as thats normally how there kennelled, but fell for our cheeky boys. They do get one well and often sleep next to each other, but are totally different personalitywise. Hector is an attention seeker and braver than throp when out, whereas Throp is a bed monster and is more nervous of new things and where Hector will pace and worry more if were out of sight, throp will usually be lounged out.

Guest MountainHounds

This is just my personal opinion, but I've found in my fostering experiences, the boys are easy, sweet and loving while the girls tend to be quite the challenges. In the past three years I've fostered 9 girls and 5 boys (that I can name off the top of my head, but I think I may be missing one or two). The boys have been great, I failed fostering with one, still desperately regret not failing with another and wouldn't have minded two others staying in my house, the fifth I was glad to see go. On the other hand, I've had pushy girls, I've had super-hyper girls and what's even worse for me, I've had whiny girls, including my current foster, the beautiful but ditzy Glide. Out of all the girls I've fostered, I was really only sad to see one of them go, the rest of them, I send them off to either their new homes or the cell-dogs program with a smile on my face, happy to have helped them on their road to retirement and glad that the road doesn't end in my house. This is why I prefer to foster girls rather than boys, I'm usually not at all tempted to keep them :P

Just one sweet boy here, Casey. When we went to look at available hounds we thought of getting a girl this time. We had recently lost another sweet boy, Big. None of the girls really clicked with us and we were told about a boy that had been at the kennel for a long while and the rest is history. :blush

Guest FordRacingRon

There are two reasons we have a girl and they are both stupid, but I was SOOOOO naive when it came to getting my first dog I wanted a girl for basically two reasons.

First was they are smaller,,,,,,I thought. I thought there would be no room for a boy in our little home,,,I was wrong any size grey would fit here. So that is lame brain excuse number one, but number two is even dumber.

Reason two,,and this is really really stupid, I wanted a dog that peed like a girl buy not hiking thier leg (Isn't that lame). My thought was if the dog peed in the house, a girl would only pee on the carpet, a boy could pee anywhere. Told you it was stupid. To make it even dumber when we are walking Leia will sometimes pee like a boy, if she wants to hit something high off the ground. Leia has never peed in the house though !

Guest das1075

Haha. I understand your second reason. I haven't adopted yet, but originally I wanted a girl because I didn't want a dog with a "thing" between it's legs. I thought I would bond better to a girl. I've had A LOT of people correct that feeling though! So now I'm much more open to the boys. Plus, I like the really big greyhounds (even if it does mean more food, poop and hair). They're just sooo beautiful to me.

One of each here...Mac my first, my heart dog, the greyhound by which all others are judged, a big shy, somewhat aloof, sorta spooky,red fawn male who is and always will be daddy's boy...and Dessie an eight year old red brindle retired brood momma,a talker,a cuddle bunny, somewhat dominant,gotta pee over where he peed,daddy's girl...and my bridge girl Charm...I'll always want one of each..well I WANT several of each but my wife keeps me grounded in reality...

Dogs and small children are the only people I really get along with....MacDaddy

Guest longdogs

I think you can make broad generalisations about gender behaviour but each dog is an individual. I find it hard to choose. Both have different good points and no particular bad points and I haven't met many greys I wouldn't readily adopt.

Guest GreyFox

I voted "girl" because when we were going through the adoption process a year ago we wanted a smaller greyhound and that pretty much meant a girl. Now that we have a girlie, who I love to bits, I would love to have a big, snuggly, goofy boy. Doodles is very sweet and fits the reserved, cautious, independent description, although she does ask for attention more and more and very subtly.

Edited to add that if I was doing it again, I don't think I would specify a gender. Doodles was picked for us, and she fits very well with our family, but next time I think I would like to pick our grey, or have him/her pick us!

Edited by GreyFox

Guest CygnetC

I prefer male dogs to female dogs of any breed. I have 1 male Greyhound and my bulldog is a female. And while I love her I can't wait for the day where I can get my male bulldog (definitely not anytime soon). Unfortunately no more Greyhounds of any sex for this house. Wally likes to see other Greys, likes to do "playdates" with them, but I have found that he does NOT like it when there is another Greyhound in his house with his mom (if their owner is there he's okay). He doesn't like to share me in general but he REALLY doesn't like to share me with other Greyhounds. I love my needy boy :wub:

• 1 month later...

I would have a house full of boys (the bigger, the better) if I could. Unfortunately, Gabe doesn't get along with other males, even (especially?) greyhounds. There are probably exceptions out there, and if we find one, I'll VERY happily welcome another male into our home. Until then, we'll stick to females, which is fine. I wouldn't trade our prissy little Miss Diamond for the world.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.