Hobbes Update - Hobbes Is Home!

It has been a roller-coaster for Hobbes since I last posted on him. With all the testing that was done, it was discovered that he had a resistant strain of Giardia that was causing the explosive diarrhea, weight loss and weakness. Although he had mild food allergies, this was the major cause for his illness. He was treated during July for three weeks and immediately started gaining weight, stool normalizing and becoming stronger and healthier each day. We were overjoyed at his return to health.

Then just as he was doing well, he started having "leaking" problems on his bed and the floor and he was treated for a mild UTI. Again we were hopefull that it was a minor step backwards. The problem continued, he was placed on Proin and seemed to be doing better during the day with minor leaking during the night. We took the usual precautions with bed pads, we pulled rugs up - anything to make it easier for Hobbes.

Suddenly early Sunday morning he had another bout with Vertigo but recovered within a few hours. He was examined yesterday and complete blood workup done. His vet was impressed at how healthy he looked and how much weight he had gained. His blood work was all normal so we arranged for more

tests on his urine.

This morning he was wonderful, playful, very active - suddenly out of nowhere he was hit with another bout of vertigo. He vomited, looked dizzy and confused and we rushed him immediately to the vet to examine him. As the vertigo is suddenly happening more frequently, she is afraid that he may have a brain tumor that is also causing some of the problems with the urination.

I am just devastated at this point and can't stop crying. He has come so far after a year of battling the diarrhea. Just as it seemed he was regaining his health we may find him facing a far greater fight that he can't possibly survive.

Hobbes is just shy of 13-1/2 years old and we don't want to put him thru stressful and painful tests. Has anyone had any experience with these symptoms?

I'm sorry this is so long - I'm just so worried about him.

UPDATED: 8:00 PM

HOBBES was looking more and more ill so I rushed him to our vet. He had a temp of 106.9 and was immediately treated as critical. Although he had been walking fine all morning by the time I got him to the vet parking lot his back feet were knuckling under. He has now been stablized and is under observation all night and being treated at the e-vet. Tomorrow we will be taking him to the animal neurologist in Portland for an MRI or CatScan to see if there is a tumor. There is also a possibility that he has a massive infection that caused the fever.

At this time last night I had just gotten off the phone with our vet - it was wonderful news about how great he looked and his blood panels were all normal. Tonight my sweet Hobbes is fighting for his life with an unknown cause. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I love him so much and I can't imagine him not being a part of my life.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe it is a reaction to the Proin? I know some dogs don't do well on it...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I'm talking to the vet again in a couple of hours and have discontinued the Proin. He has had such a bad reaction to very good medication such as Flagyl that I wouldn't be surprised to see this happening again with the Proin. We did a urine sample on him yesterday that was inconclusive so they were planning to use a catheter on Monday to get a sample for testing at the University. She believes he could have a UTI that was resistant (as the Giardia was) to the antibiotics.

He is still recovering from this morning now and looks very uncomfortable and ill. It breaks my heart to see him go from bouncing & happy to confused and miserable in a matter of minutes. If this is a reaction to the medication, I will be very, very relieved. This just seems to be a nightmare that goes on and on.

Thank you all for your good thoughts.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

:bighug Hobbs & Mary :bighug

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest Winterwish

Oh Mary,I'm sorry Hobbes is having these health concerns. Hopefully it's the medication,and the side effects will go once it works itself out of his system. :hope:hope

Sending good thoughts and hugs to Hobbes and you too. :dogcookie:bighug

If Proin is the same as PPA, my China had a stroke from it. She never had any of Hobbes' symptoms. She developed a weakness on her right rear side and knuckled when she walked. It took us 6 months to train that foot to walk properly.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest caiteag

Quinn did VERY badly on PPA (which I understand is basically the same thing as Proin)... it gave him seizures/mini-strokes. Hopefully it is something as simple as this for Hobbes.

Tonight my sweet Hobbes is fighting for his life with an unknown cause.
Oh no... :( Your poor pupper. :grouphug Sending tons of light and prayers to Hobbes and all the vet staff that are working with him. Hopefully you'll find some answers quickly. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.