I Am Devestated...

Oh, come on, Luke. Start eating for your mom and get better real soon. You have lots of people pulling for you!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending more prayers. :grouphug Can they give him IV meds? That is what they did for LaceyLaine...they allowed her nothing by mouth for a few days...then started her on small sips of water...worked up to small bites of food and all meds including her antibiotics and pain meds and tummy meds were given in IV form. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending more prayers for Rusty. Eat for Mommy, Rusty!

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Ask them to give carafate. I think they can also use phenigren

They must be using some kind of pain meds. Which ones?

I did some searching and this is a person, but interesting:

Also, orally, they can give me better pain medication because they add in Phenigren, an anti-nausea medication. Otherwise I don't tolerate any of the narcotics used for pain -- they make me hurl.

I think he's on rymadyl (sp)?

Guest trevdog

Definitely it can cause liver problems, especially when he's already having issues.

Edited by trevdog

Just chiming in to jump on the wagon with Diane...if his liver is out of whack he DEFINITELY shouldn't be on Rimadyl. Some dogs have a stronger reaction to it than others, in some dogs it really tears up the stomach and throws the liver into distress right away. Tramadol for pain should help.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest LolasMom

Much good advice on med's already. Definately I would have a friend or loved one go with you tonight for support. You might want to take a number of different baby foods as well as perhaps some wet stinky cat food. Does Rusty smell the food and then turn away? Or just not interested at all? The reason I ask is that if he looks at all interested and then not, it's a pretty good sign that he wants to eat but his tummy is just still too upset. I know how impossible this can feel and you're doing everything you can, hang in there :beatheart

Many more prayers for you and Rusty :hope:candle

Sending more prayers. :grouphug Can they give him IV meds? That is what they did for LaceyLaine...they allowed her nothing by mouth for a few days...then started her on small sips of water...worked up to small bites of food and all meds including her antibiotics and pain meds and tummy meds were given in IV form. :grouphug

I will ask about this Patti.

Much good advice on med's already. Definately I would have a friend or loved one go with you tonight for support. You might want to take a number of different baby foods as well as perhaps some wet stinky cat food. Does Rusty smell the food and then turn away? Or just not interested at all? The reason I ask is that if he looks at all interested and then not, it's a pretty good sign that he wants to eat but his tummy is just still too upset. I know how impossible this can feel and you're doing everything you can, hang in there beatinghearts.gif

He wanted to eat, he sniffs it and I can tell he wants it, then he turns his head, I think his tummy is upset, I don't think he can keep water down either, unless maybe the meds are making him throw up.

I talked to the vet a while ago, Rusty is about the same, not any worse. I asked him if he was on rimadyl

he said no, I asked some young kid in the last night what pain meds he was on and I thought he said rimadyl.

I'm going to find out when I go tonight.

My vet said he will fax Ohio State Rusty's files tomorrow, I wish he would have now, but it's probably to late.

I'm headed to the hosp. to see my baby now, I hope he is better, I hate seeing him like this.

Thank you all for your prayers and advise. You all are probably getting sick of the same old update, (still not eating)

but I will update anyway. :lol

Fingers crossed for good news. :goodluck

I will ask about this Patti.

Much good advice on med's already. Definately I would have a friend or loved one go with you tonight for support. You might want to take a number of different baby foods as well as perhaps some wet stinky cat food. Does Rusty smell the food and then turn away? Or just not interested at all? The reason I ask is that if he looks at all interested and then not, it's a pretty good sign that he wants to eat but his tummy is just still too upset. I know how impossible this can feel and you're doing everything you can, hang in there beatinghearts.gif

He wanted to eat, he sniffs it and I can tell he wants it, then he turns his head, I think his tummy is upset, I don't think he can keep water down either, unless maybe the meds are making him throw up.

I talked to the vet a while ago, Rusty is about the same, not any worse. I asked him if he was on rimadyl

he said no, I asked some young kid in the last night what pain meds he was on and I thought he said rimadyl.

I'm going to find out when I go tonight.

My vet said he will fax Ohio State Rusty's files tomorrow, I wish he would have now, but it's probably to late.

I'm headed to the hosp. to see my baby now, I hope he is better, I hate seeing him like this.

Thank you all for your prayers and advise. You all are probably getting sick of the same old update, (still not eating)

but I will update anyway. :lol

Fingers crossed for good news. :goodluck

Come on Sweetheart...feel the healing energy coming your way. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I was hoping that Rusty would be feeling better.

If he were mine and unless he is on IV meds, I would bring him home and see if maybe that might help his appetite.

I think he would at least be happier at home, maybe more comfortable as well.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

If he were mine and unless he is on IV meds, I would bring him home and see if maybe that might help his appetite.

Agreed. If he doesn't need to be there Dee, bring the boy home if you can.

Guest Mommydog

Agreed. If he doesn't need to be there Dee, bring the boy home if you can.

My thoughts too, it could be that he's depressed at being there and that maybe partly the reason for him not eating. Get well soon Rusty.

Sending prayers for Rusty. :hope

Listen to your gut instinct. If you feel you can take care of him, he may be better off at home. If the stomach issue can be resolved he will eat. Another one to try is Hill's AD, it is a prescription food and the vet's office probably has it. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Ok, here goes tonights (Tues.) update: I was trying to think of something he really likes to

eat, (he usually isn't fussy & will eat about anything) so I couldn't really think of anything

except chicken, he really likes chicken, but I brought him chicken the other day.So, I was

thinking and taking care if leftovers from dinner, chicken & mashed potatoes, and it hit me,

I yelled out Mashed Taters... Rusty LOVES mashed taters!!! It didn't sound to apetizing but I thought

what the heck, he loves them at home! :P

So, I get his little doggy bag ready... mashed taters, smelly fishy cat food, :sick and

more chicken and off I go.

I walk in, Rusty is laying on his side, sitting up, like he was waiting for my visit. :) He sees me

starts wagging his tail more than he has before, he actually looked happy to see me tonight, not just,

oh it's just you mom. :lol

After about 5 minutes he tries to get up, so we get him up and I walk him outside and he

peed, then we went back in and he lay down on his blankie. He is staying in the operating

room suite, I guess he thinks he's royalty or something. :rolleyes:

Ok, now I tried to feed him some chicken, he didn't want it, that made my heart sink. :(

I wanted to try the stinky cat food but I tried the potatoes first, I put a little down for him, he didn't

want it, so I put so

me on my finger, well he started licking it off my finger, so by the time he was done he had eaten

almost all of them, not that much, maybe 3/4 cup. But I think that's better than the sausage.

When I left he hadn't threw them up. :yay

The only thing that made me sad and cry when I got home was his front legs were really

swelled up, and where they had the IV needles he had blood dripping out, quite a bit to. :cry1

And then when I got ready to leave he got up and wanted to come with me, I felt so bad, I almost

cried in there. If he could keep water down and didn't need the IV anymore, I'd bring him home, I think

he's getting a bit stronger now and he's getting homesick. :sad1

Well that's my long update. Should I be really excited about this or do you think he'll just be

sick again in the morning?

Do you think he'll eat again tomorrow? I will be bringing more taters! :)

Edited to shorten post, which is still quite long. :blush

Edited by nyGreys

If the taters worked, then more taters tomorrow. :) No way to predict at this point, but for him to eat, if he can just keep it down that is a big step forward. Something I have hand fed to more then one sick pupper, vanilla yogurt with Rice Krispies mixed in, fed by fingers. Sending prayers for Rusty. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg