I Am Devestated...

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Rusty. Mom wants you home! :candle:hope

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Rusty didn't throw up in the night but

he threw up this morning after taking his meds. I told the vet

he ate a little bit of sausage yesterday when I was there. He thinks maybe the meds

upset his stomach. His front legs are swollen, :( I hope from the IV needles.

Vet said his liver is all out of wack, that didn't sound good. He said there's not much more they

could do for him. :cry1 I KNEW this was going to be up to me to decide what to do, if he's not eating,

I can't let him starve to death, but how long do I wait? I wanted him to come home, I thought he

would feel better if he could be here.

DAM, DAM, DAM,DAM. :headwall

I'm going to see him tonight, I'll take something for him to try to eat again.

What should I do, somebody please help. I don't want anything to happen to him in there all alone! :cry1

I didn't even understand what they said his meds were, this is the best I

can do tagament, reglar? flager? (sp)

Edited by nyGreys

Guest luckydog

Can you take a trusted family member or friend with you tonight? It's obvious that you are so distraught that you cannot retain what is being told to you by the vet, so another person can be helpful to write things down and ask questions for you.

Guest Snowy8

Try the meat baby food someone suggested...surely they have him on some sort of IV to keep him from starving....

I'm sure the swelling is from laying down & the needles. Will he stand up & walk any? Maybe get him to walk a little...sometimes when they're just laying around, they're weak & don't feel like eating.

Guest trevdog

Try the baby food, beef or veal seem to stink the most and are most enticing. Are they giving him anything for the upset? I'm sure the meds are upsetting it and yes the swelling can be from the needles and not moving around so much. I'd give him some more time, he did have major surgery there, if I had that kind of surgery, I would still be not eating either. Though they do seem to heal quicker than we do.

How out of whack were they talking for his liver values?

Edited to add with an empty tummy too some meds will upset it and he won't want to eat. They can go for awhile without eating, as long as the IV is in. Is he getting up at all and walking, potty trips or anything?

Thought of something else, have they xrayed him again to be sure all is ok in there?

Edited by trevdog

Still sending many positive thoughts. I am sure his tummy is upset still. Rusty PLEASE eat so you can get strong and come home where your Mommy can help you feel better!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest trevdog

I reread you post Reglan is for tummy upset...perhaps they need to try another one. Dallas was on that and I don't think it was the best choice for her. She would eat but a little while later you could tell her tummy was upset although she manged to keep it down. This was on top of the other meds she was on.

Tagament is also for upset tummies. Flagyl seems to have a side affect of causing upset tummies though, it's an antibiotic to ward off bacteria and infection I believe. Maybe the combo isn't working for him can they try something else?

Are they giving him any NSAIDs? If so, that will affect the liver.

Are they giving him carafate? Zantac or pepcid? Reglan?

Sending lots of prayers.

Diane, He's not on NSAIDs.

I am so sorry. Adding good thoughts and prayers.

The meds probably are Tagamet, Flagyl and Reglan.

Yes, he's taking these 3.

Tagamet and reglan are both for his stomach. When I end up at the promptcare for a migraine, I end up getting Reglan once they've run a line. Works OK, but not 100 percent, he's probably still feeling awful. :(

Sending more hugs and prayers your way. :hope:grouphug

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest ProudGreyMom

Flagyl can make for a sick tummy so they are probably countering it with the Reglan and Tagamet.

I agree about having a friend or someone go along with you. Just sit and visit, talk to your pup. Maybe bring some of the baby food flavors and see if he wants to eat a bit. Animals know their own bodies well though, if he feels really cruddy he will just want to see you.

Ask them to give carafate. I think they can also use phenigren

They must be using some kind of pain meds. Which ones?

I did some searching and this is a person, but interesting:

Also, orally, they can give me better pain medication because they add in Phenigren, an anti-nausea medication. Otherwise I don't tolerate any of the narcotics used for pain -- they make me hurl.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits