Alan's Spinal Cord Injury

Did you get my e-mail in regards to the canine carts? I had shared with you about two folks who have used them, the one in particular being a close friend whose GSH suffered an FCE at 11 years of age, and lived very happily and healthy till the age of 15. She had zero use of both back legs after the FCE. She could haul hiney pretty good with just the two front legs because there wasn't anything dragging in the back :)

Continuing prayers for all of you, and I know you are still raw from the loss of your sweet Katie Bug :grouphug :grouphug :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Yes! I did get your email DeVon and I apologize for not acknowledging it :blush I talked with Brian about the cart and he is not to keen on a cart for Alan :( I am all for it if that means he can go for walks again and at least get around the yard chasing squirrels, bunnies and birds again. I may still be able to talk Brian into it. He can walk now, but he drags his left leg and it gets in the way so he is always tripping himself unless he is walking in a straight line...right turns are hard for him cuz his weight shifts to the left and bam, down he goes on that left leg. My Mom and I are going to design a sort-of donut shape cushion with straps to surround the abrasion on his left thigh/hip so when he goes down he has some cushioning. My Mom is a wonderful seamstress.

Alan is Brian's baby...he loves that boy so much! I adopted Alan as a wedding anniversary gift for Brian 2 years ago and a birthday gift for Alan because his birthday is the 25th of June and our anniversary is the 28th of June. This has just devastated Brian :( and I know he wants what is best for Alan and he thinks Alan would just hate a cart and he says he couldn't use it in the house, but when he's in the house he is pretty much always laying down. I think in time he may see the need for Alan to have a cart.

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For what it's worth, a friend of mine borrowed a cart to use outside when her grey's hindquarters were paralyzed. I think they used it only to take her for walks, not as a full time thing, but she said it helped her hound's spirits immensely to be mobile and also aided overall muscle tone, both very important benefits. Perhaps Brian would be amenable to a similar approach. In the meantime, hugs to Alan and both of you.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I don't have any experience with paralysis, but have had 2 tripods. From the video, the one paralyzed leg was hindering his

movement. I wonder if there would be some way to sling the leg so it wouldn't drag. Then he could learn to get around as

a tripod. My tripod still chases squirrels.

Guest Winterwish
... My Mom is a wonderful seamstress....

Just trying to think of a way to make a type of immobilyzing type sling that would serve the purpose of keeping Alan's left leg up,flexed,and snug to the pelvis.

It would have to evolve,but as time goes on,Alan's left leg will atrophy some,and something that could be worked out like that may be easier to work with.

The thng with a cart is that the right leg would also tend to lose at least some measure of strength,and if there's some kind of solution with a sling that could bring that left leg up,maybe up and anchored at the right shoulder area,it may be better for Alan emotionally too.

Do you think such a thing can be made?

I wish I could do something Suzie and Brian. :grouphug

Guest Winterwish
I don't have any experience with paralysis, but have had 2 tripods. From the video, the one paralyzed leg was hindering his

movement. I wonder if there would be some way to sling the leg so it wouldn't drag. Then he could learn to get around as

yes,that's what I was wondering.

I'm glad you're pup is doing so well. :dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish

yes,that's what I was wondering.

I'm glad you're pup is doing so well. :dogcookie

I was trying to see how Dreamer would be with his leg brought up with a t-shirt on. And as awkward as it was Suzie,he did take a couple of steps and didn't fall. I know it's not the same in that Alan has been recovering overall :grouphug but just to mention it,okay?

It seems like an adaptive sling like that would probably need to be anchored at the right shoulder,which may weigh on that unfortunately,but maybe thru acupuncture that can be addressed and balanced as well.

Just thoughts Suzie. And I'm really sorry if they're off base in any way.

Not at all off base! I welcome any and all suggestions for some way to make things better for Alan! I think some type of sling is a greyt idea for him and possibly a better solution than the cart? It would need to be padded at the back were his hip/thigh/butt bone hits the ground just in case he loses his balance and falls. I have also got some booties on order for him but I should probably stock up on several pairs because he is going to tear them up real quick!! I have a set of Muttluks and he has been wearing one on his left foot but it's already torn up. If amputation was a good solution then we would be all for it...we went thru it with Miss Nellie and she ran faster on 3 legs than she did on 4! But, bone cancer is a far cry different than this type of injury :( Unfortunately, that leg is acting like an anchor right now and that's exactly what I call it, an "anchor!" Oh, I also call it a "kick stand" because while standing I think he uses it for balance. He is very stubborn, which can be good because he insists on eating while standing and drinking while standing!

So, no offense would be taken for any suggestions for a sling for Alan's left hind leg!!!

I am going to try and get some video later when Brian comes home so you can see how he gets around now and I will try to get a photo of his booboo so you can see where the padding in his sling would need to be (just in case anyone has suggestions!)

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Guest Winterwish

Gee Devon,I hadn't really looked at dog carts in some time. We had 2 neighbors who had them in the past,but since looking at one on this website,it really does seem like a very -if i can say 'good' option.

Suzie the website I just was looking at is:

K9carts

Thought the 'walking option' may be good to read thru'. Also,they say that if a particular disability isn't listed to contact them and see what they can do.

This is just a picture of something Suzie,with no real idea attached to it,and hope that's okay.

It's just that as someone who sews too,sometimes just seeing something- well it may not be a solution,but it's just something to look at and think on when trying to figure.

Only thing is,this involves an immobilizer for the front leg,which does seem easier to bring up then the hind leg,so it's really just for consideration of what can be worked out,even in conjunction with a cart,the cart being in a walking option mode.

Or if you do use a cart for Alan at some point,maybe the company can make a seat for Alan's leg so he could go on walks with normal use of his right leg? The cart being mainly to hold his pelvis for free walking?

Have you taken a look at CarolB's harness for greys?

I am thinking nothing but good healing thoughts for Alan. I hope he just needs a little more time to regain more function in that leg. Many many :grouphug for you & Brian.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest vahoundlover

OH Suzie, My heart is breaking for you and Brian... :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I wish I could give you guys a real hug... :cry1 Please give Alan a ton of kisses for me...I'm sure the ones he got in Philly have rubbed off by now...

Keeping all of you in my prayers.

Here's another cart manufacturer in western Massachusetts. I think some folks w GHs have used this company otherwise I don't know how I would have heard about it.

http://www.eddieswheels.com/

I got to the link below from the Eddie's Wheels web site. They gave a free cart to a vet that rescued this pup. The vet's office is in Havana, FL which is not very far from OnRushPam's home. I'll check to see if Pam knows them, to see how the cart works.

http://www.winteranimalhospital.com/brutus.htm

FWIW, hope Alan feels better soon,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I wish the news were better :(. I hope it will turn out that the vets were too pessimistic.

In the meantime, :goodluck for Alan, and :grouphug for you.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

...the not knowing if he will ever be happy again,...

:bighug

Suzie, try to remember through your own sense of loss that he won't really be looking at it that way. Think of all the stories you've read or heard about the amazing adaptability and resilience, the will to live and to enjoy life that dogs have. Think of my own Wabi, who's never really been unhappy for long in her whole life, and was born with an "extra" back leg! ;) Remember your very own Miss Nellie, who smiled even after she lost that leg!

There will be adaptation, for sure; your's and his, but it will happen. Wait and watch. It's still so early!

In the mean time, huge hugs. I can only imagine how you must be feeling through all this!

:bighug

ETA: About booties. I found a set that fit Wabi well, and have coated them with the paint/dip on rubbery coating for tools you can buy at hardware stores to make them last longer. You can just keep adding rubber goo over the wear spots, so one set of booties could theoretically last just about forever!

If you ever want to chat, you know where I am, Suzie! :bighug

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest Tenderhearts
Yes! I did get your email DeVon and I apologize for not acknowledging it :blush I talked with Brian about the cart and he is not to keen on a cart for Alan :( I am all for it if that means he can go for walks again and at least get around the yard chasing squirrels, bunnies and birds again.

No apologies necessary! I just wanted to present a possible option for you!

I guess I should have been a bit more in-depth on why I suggested the use of a cart. I realize that Alan is getting around, albeit more slowly and it's awkward with the one leg/foot not cooperating.

The one dog I know more details about, who had the FCE at age 11 and lost complete use of both hind legs, was only in the cart for her daily walks/potty breaks, which of course, were more frequent as she aged (she passed away at 15). I remember pictures her 'daddy' posted of her just laying in the back yard, contented to soak up sunshine and fresh air. I don't believe she was ever in the cart in the house except to get her in it prior to her walk, or out of it afterwards.

I know the other dog was around 4 at the time of the FCE, and the cart has allowed him to even go on hikes with his other canine brothers who have the use of all 4 limbs, plus he loves to run, which he can do quite adeptly in his cart now.

I know you and DH love Alan dearly, and will do whatever you feel is best for him! :grouphug

Guest tammara

I am so sorry you are going through this :grouphug I don't know if the following could help at all... I work a lot with stroke patients and was wondering if some sort of leg brace could help? I found this companyclick I was thinking this could help him from knuckling over as it may lift his foot up and offer some stability? I wish I could offer more help... you are in my prayers... :hope

I have no words, just prayers for all of you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

A google search found an "Ehmer sling" for the rear leg. website: Slings

15F2.jpg

Thank you for that image and link! I was searching all over the net for something like that!

Brian still says no to the cart :( He thinks it will give Alan an excuse to not use his left leg. I think he hasn't totally ruled it out...he just thinks it's too soon for a cart. I was telling him that they can be adjusted so he can still use his rear right leg and if he starts to gain use of the left leg it can be lowered to touch the ground so he can exercise the left leg too. I might have him convinced yet...actually, I can order it and have it show up and be here and I can have Alan in it and moving around and so when Brian gets home from work we could surprise him ;)

Alan is very depressed...I can tell...I see it in his eyes and it breaks my heart to see him that way :(

I want my boy to be happy again...

Suzie Collins