Head Tremors

When I first adopted Chloe, she had had "head tremors" at the kennel shortly after she had been diagnosed with hypothyroid and she started the soloxine.

When we adjusted her meds at home, she had had one or two as well.

As time went by, she didn't have any but we did notice that when there was high stress going on, she would have them. One time, I was really scared and brought her to the vet but it had stopped. Her pupils were diated and would not retract. She was scared to death so the doctor wasn't sure if it was neurological or she was so stressed about being there. (this was also the bottom of the totem pole vet after hours)

I've also noticed that as the spring rolls around, she will have a few. She had one about half hour ago. So far they have not lasted more than 5-6 minutes. My vet had told me if they last longer than 5 minutes of so, we should bring her in, but other than that there was nothing we could do but watch her.

This is what she is experiencing. When it is happening, she is alert, happy, receptive, will take a cookie, will come when called, etc. The only thing is her head is shaking. I get so scared when it happens.

When I had first posted about this, almost 2 years ago, there were one or 2 people who had dogs who had this. I know there are a lot of new pups on GT so I figured, I'd see if anyone else experiences this with their hound.

th_MVI_1977.jpg

th_MVI_1978.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Actually, yes! I first noticed it the night Gigi was found after being lost for a week. Because she was very dehydrated and malnourished, the vet and I attributed it to her condition at the time. I saw the tremor several times in the months thereafter, always when sleeping. I very rarely notice it nowadays (1.5 years later). Quite similar to Chloe, but Gigi's are more subtle.

Interesting!

Gigi's tremor

More Gigi

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

This has happened to Carl within the first week or two I've used Frontline Plus on him. I've used it twice on him (and will NEVER use it again) and each time he did it several times for a week or two and never again.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Yes, Gigi's tremors look a lot like my Chloe's. i have never noticed it when she is asleep, only awake. It really upsets me to see it.

It's NOT from Frontline.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Gigi has never used Frontline, so I know that's not a factor. Chloe's tremor is much more noticeable. I don't believe Gigi had them when she was awake - and certainly Chloe looks wide awake in your videos. When you were taking the films, was she originally sleeping, then suddenly awakened? Does she have the tremor when she's standing or walking around?

She was just hanging out in a bed. She can walk around, eat, play etc. I have never seem it while sleeping, but I am not discounting that she has not had them when she is sleeping from time to time. I just have never seen it.

Edited by RobinM

I think I was one of the people who replied the first time. Jim had them in his last few years. Usually he'd be standing looking at me, or at something, and his head would begin a fine tremor - interestingly, his ears didn't shake like that, it was just his head. It would usually go on for maybe 20-30 seconds, IIRC, then stop and he'd be absolutely normal. During the tremors he never looked distressed or disturbed, and his pupils were normal.

One time he fell over while the tremor was going on - I didn't see that, DH was with him. He got straight up as if nothing had happened and carried on, and I wondered if it was just that his general stiffness combined with the tremor did that. :dunno

I never did get a movie, we didn't have a digital camera that was any good at the time, but he had an MRI and spinal tap and full bloodwork and nothing showed up. The neuro suggested we didn't give him any systemic flea treatments just in case, and no unnecessary chemicals, but it was more grasping at straws than anything.

One thing I wondered was whether the organo-phosphate mange washes he had when he was a young dog had damaged his nervous system and it hadn't showed until he was old.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest jurishound

Cuffy has tremors just like this and when he was at the neurologist's at Angell Memorial the other day, I asked about them - the neurologist said they "are common in greyhounds and of no concern." My DD discovered that if Cuffy has something to lick like yogurt or icecream, they go away almost immediately.

Cuffy has tremors just like this and when he was at the neurologist's at Angell Memorial the other day, I asked about them - the neurologist said they "are common in greyhounds and of no concern." My DD discovered that if Cuffy has something to lick like yogurt or icecream, they go away almost immediately.

My vet ( the real one!) was not overly concerned either. I just hate so much when I look over at her and she is having them. She has no clue but it bothers me to no end.

Thanks, what you wrote jurishound makes me feel a lot better.

Guest alannamac

I can see why your vet is trying to keep you relaxed about this, although it is a tremor....Chloe does not seem too distressed about it. That definitely looks like a neurological condition, but those kind of things are very difficult to diagnose with a patient who cannot speak. It must be so hard on you.......but really she looks like she's feeling ok about things and not in pain so try to take comfort in that. Could be anything from a compressed nerve to a reaction to medication, to a doggie Parkinson's.......Neurological disorders are frustrating as heck, but as long as they aren't causing pain or severe physical disfunction, can be adapted to. Sometimes these things are harder on the observer than on those who are experiencing the symptom. I certainly hope you and your vet can figure out what's going on......some sort of association that causes it. She looks so sweet yawning. What a darling.

:bighug

My vet ( the real one!) was not overly concerned either. I just hate so much when I look over at her and she is having them. She has no clue but it bothers me to no end.

Thanks, what you wrote jurishound makes me feel a lot better.

Okay, this is probably going to sound way out there, but I couldn't help but think of it as I was reading this. When people have a problem with vertigo, the first thing we have them do is focus on one thing and just focus on it and the veritgo stops. It's like the licking of ice cream or yogurt and the tremors stop

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Joslin, that's an interesting point you made about Cuffy's tremors stopping when he's fed a treat.

In humans, there are different types of tremors. There are "resting" tremors which, as the name suggests, occur when the person's muscles are at rest - i.e., they're not attempting to move the affected body part, such as the hands. When the patient does go to move (points a finger, grasps an object, etc.) the tremor stops or diminishes. Then there are "intention" tremors, which occur primarily with movement.

The fact that when Cuffy moves in order to get the ice cream, and the tremor subsides, makes it sound like an intention tremor.

What good that factoid does I don't know, but I thought I'd throw it out there, because that also seems to be the case with Gigi's tremors.

J

That's very interesting and useful to know. I still think tremors should be investigated though - or at least watched carefully - because there are some serious conditions which show tremors as a symptom. I would think that if your own vet isn't concerned and the tremors don't get any worse - and there are no new symptoms, then it's probably of no concern, as Jurishound's neuro said.

Okay, this is probably going to sound way out there, but I couldn't help but think of it as I was reading this. When people have a problem with vertigo, the first thing we have them do is focus on one thing and just focus on it and the veritgo stops. It's like the licking of ice cream or yogurt and the tremors stop

Doesn't sound 'out there' at all! Another useful thing to remember. If I have a grey with head tremors in the future, I'll try that, and maybe talk to the vet about vertigo if it seems to help. :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

my angel, Bailey had them one time. I attributed it to allowing her to eat grass in the park that day, and assuming they must have fertilized it. she never had it again and I never allow dogs to eat grass anywhere but my own yard.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

No answers from me, of course, but more anecdotal evidence. Piper had several episodes of head tremors much like that in the first couple of years of retirement. He would have been 2-3 years old. He also has epilepsy, with full blown grand mal seizures and has also had some episodes of focal seizures as well.

His head tremors last a few seconds and I can stop them by getting his attention in any way, even by just calling his name. He does not seem distressed either during or after the tremor episodes. Because of his epilepsy, the vet and I have always believed the tremors to be yeat another manifestation of his underlying epilepsy.

FWIW, he is also taking Soloxin for low thyroid. I have not seen any tremors in the last 3-4 years.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

This is EXACTLY what Raisin has had several times. Exactly. Goes for about 10 mins. and she doesn't even seem to notice it's happening. I was told at one point that it is genetic in some Dobermans and Greyhounds both. She did eventually test positive for a tick borne disease (RMSF) so it might be worth your time to run a complete panel through Protatek or somewhere that does the comprehensive panels. She also had one of these tremors after getting a rabies shot. Right or wrong of me, I have never pursued MRI or anything like that. I figured that they were so few and far between that it did not make sense to make the cure worse than the affliction.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Interestingly, Chloe had her 3 years rabies on tuesday, head tremors on thursday. hummmm.

Icarus had those too. It was part of his seizure behaviour. In his case, it was an early warning sign that his blood sugar was low. He was not diabetic or hypothyroid either. We'd give him a cookie and he was fine.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest EmilyAnne

I wish I could see the video, but unfortunately I cant get my Flash player update player to work. :(

We had a dog before Henry, who had epilepsy, but his seizures were not very typical. His head would go back and forth and turn side to side in a bobbing sort of way, and when it got real bad, his head would bob really fast. It's very hard to describe it accurately. He still seemed to be aware of me being there. It wasn't anything at all like the grand-mals Henry has. His were a result of severe brain trauma. He used to try to bury his head against me to get the bobbing to stop.

I really wish I could see the video so I could tell you if it was the same thing as what Chloe is having.

That looks exactly like what Angel Maddison used to have. You may have seen his clips before but just in case, here they are:-

http://www.my-shops.net/videos/maddisontremor280104.wmv

http://www.my-shops.net/videos/maddiheadtremormuted.wmv

I do beleive that Maddisons tremors were linked to Frontline use.

His could also be stopped (or interupted) by throwing him a toy to play with.

He saw a neurologist who diagnosed idiopathic epilepsy and no treatment was given because Maddison was never distressed by his episodes and the they declined in frequency over the years.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I was hoping to hear from you Bevd. Yes, I had seen these a few years back but I wanted DH to see it.

When Madison was diagnosed by the nuerologist, was it after seeing the episode "live" or by viewing a video? Just curious. Now, at least, I have something to show the vet.

She had another one today while laying on the bed with me resting. I decided to give her a cookie. I asked her "do you want a cookie"? She looked up at me, I gave her a small piece and it stopped. Weird.

Edited by RobinM

Guest Peanut
I was hoping to hear from you Bevd. Yes, I had seen these a few years back but I wanted DH to see it.

When Madison was diagnosed by the nuerologist, was it after seeing the episode "live" or by viewing a video? Just curious. Now, at least, I have something to show the vet.

She had another one today while laying on the bed with me resting. I decided to give her a cookie. I asked her "do you want a cookie"? She looked up at me, I gave her a small piece and it stopped. Weird.

My Peanut had similar when her med levels were off. She did have petimal seizures. What we were told is the ice cream/treat gives them the sugar their body is needing. That's why they stop. Very interesting that they started after the rabies vaccine. Peanut didn't have seizures until after her rabies vaccine (2nd in 3 months thanks to a stupid vet who couldn't read his own records).

When was the last time her thyroid level was checked?

Might be worth having her sugar levels checked... maybe.

Hugs to both of you and hope they stop soon...