Walter Roick

Guest larock

Guest larock

Walter Roick (Zeke's Walter)

December 4, 1996 – June 1, 2008

I know everyone says this about their hound but Walter was a special greyhound, one in a billion. He was our first greyhound, and a bounce at that!?! Over the years David (DH) and I kept asking ourselves (rhetorically, of course) two questions, "who in their right mind would return the most amazing greyhound in the world?" and "do you think he's happy?" I can tell you the latter was answerable, Walter had the kind of personality that made you think he had known you all his life. Just the mention of his name would send him bounding at you full of exuberance, a big smile on his face. When we first adopted him we thought perhaps he was just trying to find new owners (see question 2) but we later realized he just loved all people and animals. The only exception to this was Major, one of the neighborhood boxers. Major and he never did see eye to eye, and Walter took great pleasure in making a complete scene while passing his house. Sadly, Major passed away a few years back, as have most of the original neighborhood dogs. Walter in fact, is the last; the end of an era.

David, Walter and I had lots of greyt adventures together; sometimes every day was an adventure because we took Walter with us everywhere, even to the store to buy lottery tickets. Walter had the greyt privilege of attending the last 8 GRTB's in Dewey Beach. He also went to Grapehounds last year. He loved seeing old friends, making new ones and being a complete idiot on the beach, of course. I think one year he almost pulled my arm out of the socket. At Grapehound's we took a walk to Taughannock Falls where he found a large, pool-sized puddle, and just lay there contentedly. At home David would fill his pool daily in the summer; he thought water was the most fun ever. OK, not more fun than cookies but close.

Part of what made Walter the most amazing greyhound EVER, was that he actually helped saved about 83 greyhounds in his almost 9 years with us. Like starfish, we know you can't save them all but we do our best, one at a time. Here's the math: DH and I feel that every time we raise $200 for greyhound rescue, rehabilitation and adoption - a greyhound is saved. So, since Walter is the reason for this, he's the one responsible. Without Walter there would be no "Greyhound Pals", no greyhound paintings, and the Walter Pendant would not have been created. All these things have cumulatively helped raise over $16,000 for the greyhound plight, hence, 83 greyhounds saved. In addition to this, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the countless times David and Walter would return from an adventure (they were best buddies) and DH would say "sold another greyhound". Together they were fierce ambassadors of greyhound adoption; I think Walter even helped David become more out-going.

So, while we are beyond broken hearted and miss him with every fiber of our being we will continue with Walter's legacy because there are houndies to save. Of course, Walter is now on his beach chasing the waves and eating from the many low and plentiful cookie bushes. One feels inclined to ask that age old question, "do you think he's happy?"…

Edited by larock

Guest greymom1997

You will always have all those memories you have just recounted. Thank you for sharing Walter with us! I could close my eyes and visualize him bounding at full speed toward you.... God speed Walter. :gh_run All three of you were blessed by having known and loved each other....

f_yellow

Edited by greymom1997

What a very special boy, thank you for sharing your fond memories of him with all of us.

Godspeed Walter!

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

All I can say is beautiful. Thank for you sharing.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

No words can express my feelings for you and David. We will stand at the bar and share a few drinks again in Dewey.

Thanks for sharing Walter with all of us.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry. I know how much your hearts hurt. Walter was a very special little man. I know he's happy there...he is in greyt company at the Bridge until we all meet again. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest K9_Lady

I am glad Walter had you too. Sounds like you have had many good times and special memories together! He will always be in your Heart and at your side. :paw:heart

What a very touching tribute to your best boy. :beatheart May you always feel his loving spirit with you. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh LYNN!! I'm so sorry! So sorry! Here I was, bugging you about non-essentials ... :(

Walter was a lucky guy, and it sounds like his luck rubbed off on you guys, too. He bounced right to where he was supposed to be, didn't he?

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I'm so sorry. :cry1

What a lovely tribute to your special boy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry. :candle:grouphug Run with the angels Walter. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest GriffinsMom

What a lovely tribute to a very special hound. Godspeed on your journey to the Bridge Walter. You will be in good company there.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Oh, Lynn---I'm so sorry!

Your post about the house at Dewey caught my eye, so I opened it, and when I got to your signature---shocked! I hadn't seen any of the posts about his troubles...

A beautiful tribute--you're a wonderful writer! Makes me even more glad to know what a special home my girls' mama has found; Walter definitely bounced "Home" when he landed with you and David.

Hugs all around, and an extra scritchy for Brightning.

Lisa

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge