Learn From My Mistake

About two weeks ago, Wendy had a run-in with the backyard fence and needed stitches in her hind, right axilla. She got antibiotics and Metacam. On Sunday, she came up lame from a cut on her pad from doing zoomies in the yard. She was quite uncomfortable, so I gave her a buffered aspirin, 325 mgs. On Monday morning, I woke up to massive amounts of brown vomit. OK, I thought, the aspirin upset her tummy. When I came home from work, I found that she had vomited more, probably a total of 10-15 times! She was wonky, wobbly and panting heavily. She would not lay on her beds, but sought out the tiles (seeking to cool the fever). Off to the E-vet. Long story short...Wendy has had a gastrointestinal bleed probably the result of the Metacam closely followed by a dose of aspirin. Today she is stable, no more fever or vomiting but still has some blood in the stool. It looks like she will be fine, but I wanted to share our experience so hopefully no one else has to go through this in the future. If you see brown vomit that looks like coffee grounds RUN to the vet...there's internal bleeding. Although the vet told me that giving Wendy the aspirin was the right thing to do, it is now clear that she is very sensitive to Nsaids. They will note that on her chart.

I will NEVER self medicate again. No matter how small the discomfort I will ALWAYS FROM NOW ON CONSULT THE VET. Lesson learned.

Please pray for my girl.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Glad to hear she is going to be alright :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

How scary! I hope Wendy continues to improve.

I had something similar happen with Phoenix, but he didn't get sick. I had run out of Metacam and gave him some aspirin. When we went to the vet the next day, she wouldn't sell me more Metcam because she said that it takes a week for the aspirin to completely leave the system, and she tested his blood.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm very sorry you went through that and are going through this. How awful. I will keep her in my thoughts. Paws crossed for my boy's half-sister.

Yes, brown coffee-ground vomit or black tar-like stool indicate internal bleeding. You should clarify with your vet whether this a result of the NSAID or the combination of the aspirin and the NSAID. What was the Metacam dosage? This is a risk with any NSAID but usually occurs with extended use and higher doses.

finalsiggy.jpg

I know a lot of peeps like Metacam and it works good for them but when it was prescribed for Slim I checked on it and was totally uncomfortable with the number of bad rxns and deaths associated with it so I didn't use it on him and won't use it on any of my greyts. Same thing with Primor. Safety record is totally not good enough for me. I admit I am overly protective but thats just me. Glad she will be OK- poor baby girl-what a terrible thing to go through. Rimadyl is also on my list ha! They are just so strong and dangerous. I heard one posterd say one time that there is a reason death is listed as a possible "side effect" with these things. Most of the time the vet prescribes stuff like that I won't argue but I won't give it to them either. I just save it to use in non greyhounds if necessary. I have had remarkable success with yucca and homeopathic/accupuncture modalities that I am more comfortable with.

Poor babe, and poor worried momma. I'm glad to hear that her prognosis is good!

Out of curiosity, was she still taking the Metacam, or had she finished that?

For others reading: Aspirin seems to be very popular for greyhounds on GT, but it's one of the worst NSAIDs for causing stomach bleeds. I won't use it unless vet-prescribed (as for a probable stroke, for example). Still, wouldn't expect a single dose to do that to your girl -- please don't beat yourself up about that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear that Wendy reacted so badly. Poor baby! Who'd have thunk 1 aspirin would cause that? I know you aren't supposed to give aspirin if your dog has a bleeding disorder... but the heck are you supposed to know in advance? Hugs and scritches from me and your half-sister Summer!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest KennelMom

It's always good to share stories like this. It's not easy, but it helps others for sure.

For others reading: Aspirin seems to be very popular for greyhounds on GT, but it's one of the worst NSAIDs for causing stomach bleeds. I won't use it unless vet-prescribed (as for a probable stroke, for example). Still, wouldn't expect a single dose to do that to your girl -- please don't beat yourself up about that.

This.

Also, there's a general trend for folks to do a lot of OTC dosing of hounds for (what I would consider) minor, acute issues...I definitely did in my early days. I've learned with myself and with the dogs that minor discomfort is OK and often has an important purpose in the body. It also helps to know when symptoms are getting worse, which can be masked if treating at home and may limit what a vet can do or see if you end up needing to take them in.

Love and snuggles also from Wendy's half-brother Shane. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thank you all so much for your well-wishes. To answer Batmom - she had finished taking the Metacam about a week ago, but the vet thinks that it was still in her system in sufficient amount that, when combined with the aspirin, pushed her over the edge

Also, there's a general trend for folks to do a lot of OTC dosing of hounds for (what I would consider) minor, acute issues...I definitely did in my early days. I've with myself and with the dogs that minor discomfort is OK and often has an important purpose in the body. It also helps to know when symptoms are getting worse, which can be masked if treating at home and may limit what a vet can do or see if you end up needing to take them in

Total agreement with above. In retrospect, the mild discomfort she was feeling from her cut pad was a good reminder for her not to race around like a maniac and dig trenches in the yard. It would have helped the thing heal more quickly. Pain does have a purpose.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm sorry Irene. Sorry that Wendy has had a bad time of it. Sorry that we played phone tag but it was good to hear your voice on the answering machine. Glad that Wendy is on the mend. Give that beautiful silly girl a kiss from her Auntie Leslie. Call me if you need anything...

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star