Reko Sojourner

Batmom

Once upon a time, a beautiful brindle girl finished racing and went to live on a farm. She had some beautiful puppies, and then began to wait – sweetly, patiently, like the good girl she was – for someone to ask for her and take her home. Surely it wouldn’t be long – she was only 6, with plenty of life left to live.

In March of this year, she left the farm for foster care. She was limping a little. A stone bruise? A pulled muscle? The next day, the vet discovered she had bone cancer of a particularly fast growing type. She wouldn’t be adopted out after all; she would spend the rest of her life in the home of Greyt Friends’ president.

Sojourner’s tumor grew more rapidly than even the vet expected. She left for the bridge Saturday night, with a kindly human friend by her side.

Her human friends say that she was the sweetest, gentlest soul and “the softest little girl I've ever met--her fur was like running your hand over expensive velvet.” She liked her treats and toys, and simply to sit with a friendly warm person and be petted.

I never met Sojourner and yet, as I type this, the tears are running down my face for this sweet greyhound who had to leave so young, so soon. Please join me in thinking of her for just a minute, so that she can tell her new friends across the bridge, “You see? People remember me, too, and loved me however briefly.”

Godspeed, little girl.

post-15-1084978533.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trevdog

Poor girlie, at least she knew retirement in a loving home even though only for a short time. Run free pretty girl.... :crying:gh_run2

I am so sorry to read this post. Godspeed sweetheart! You were loved by so many and you will be missed.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest KyGrey

What a beautiful tribute! In her short retirement I'm sure she had more precious memories than in her whole life. Run free little girl! f_yellow

Guest cvacchia

I'm so glad she had someone kind to care for her even if it did come so close to the end. Run and play now, sweetie.

Guest BrockGusDad

I am so sorry.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this sweetheart to our attention.

Godspeed Sojourner.....

:weep:dogcookie:angelwings

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

:weep How very touching and sad. Godspeed, sweet Sojourner. You touched many hearts and will always be remembered as an angel here on earth. :angelwings

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am now crying right with you. You don't have to know these wonderful hounds personally to know just how special they are. Thank you for paying tribute to a deserving pup.

Godspeed sweet girl...

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

oh this so sad. run free sweet girl. im glad you got to know the good life. im so sorry it was so short..

I'm so glad she had a friend by her side. Run free girl!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)