Vet removed hematoma instead of draining it

Our girl banged her back knuckle really bad around Christmas time and ended up causing a blood blister to form on the top of it. We waited about 5-6 weeks before we went to the vet since they should typically go away on their own, but it was not getting any better and was about a half inch wide and over a 1/4 inch tall. When we took her in to see the vet, he squeezed it a bit, then said he'd go ahead and drain it the next week when we brought both the greys in for a teeth cleaning. Instead of draining it though, he ended up removing it. On a knuckle, there isn't any skin/fat/etc. for a stitch to really hold on to and when we looked away a for a moment after we removed the bandage to let it breath a few days later, she ended up licking off the stitches. We've had to take her back multiple times just to get it rewrapped and have him look at it. We finally have a bootie we've put on her, but I don't think it's the best one and it isn't a good size for her paw, it's really wide. It's been almost a month now since he removed it (weren't happy about that) and while it doesn't look infected, it isn't healing and now her toe looks swollen. Any suggestions for at home aid for an injury on top of the foot - boot/healing ointment/etc.? We're thinking a bootie may not be the best option just because it could rub quite a bit, though if we get one that fits better it might work out. She was getting irritated with the bandages, hasn't licked the boot nearly as much. Also, should we go back for the swelling in her toe soon or see if it starts to go down on it's own? It only started to appear the last few days.

So sorry you are going through this with your hound. I would use manuka honey on the wound. 

dogbooties.com makes fleece booties that are very soft and have a decent velcro to keep them on. I purhased them in size small for my hound and they work well. 

Website has a sizing chart and how to measure foot. I was apprehensive of the size small but they did fit well. They won't hold up to outdoor use and are inexpensive and ship quickly.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

You could try something like this.  Very durable and well made.

Medipaw Boot

• Like 1

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I highly, highly recommend Derma Gel. It's what the surgeons at our specialty practice use and send patients home with when sutures are not an option, or when a dog tries to remove them prematurely...been there, done that! It has kind of an herbal scent so the dog isn't tempted to lick it as much, and it works quickly, with or without a bandage.

• Like 2

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Highly seconding the Derma Gel, EMT Gel, and/or Manuka honey along with dogbooties dot com. 

• Like 2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Highly seconding the Derma Gel, EMT Gel, and/or Manuka honey along with dogbooties dot com. 

All of these are good. We've had success with both EMT Gel and DermaGel

• Like 1
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

7 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Yes, yes, and yes. There is even a "medical honey" now available through vets. But ... some dogs think honey is very tasty. My own favourite is Derma Gel.

Edited by GreyPoopon
  • Like 1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

23 hours ago, JaimeL said:

So sorry you are going through this with your hound. I would use manuka honey on the wound. 

dogbooties.com makes fleece booties that are very soft and have a decent velcro to keep them on. I purhased them in size small for my hound and they work well. 

Website has a sizing chart and how to measure foot. I was apprehensive of the size small but they did fit well. They won't hold up to outdoor use and are inexpensive and ship quickly.

Good luck.

Another vote for manuka honey. It i even effective against MRSA and these days you might need it for that.

• Like 1

We have used Medi Paw products and have been very satisfied.  The company is very good to work with and they replaced a $50 product I bought from my vet (not from the them) which was the wrong product for the type of cast our girl had.  She needed a stronger boot and they just sent me one.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds