Help with coat sizing

Greymike

I'd like to purchase coats for my two greys. I need help with the sizing. I have no idea how to measure and don't even have a tape measure. I was wondering if someone could help. My boy and girl are both around sixty pounds. Which size should I buy or them. I'll leave a link to the amazon listing so anyone can see the product and recommend a size. Thank you all in advance. I love the greytalk community and I know you'll help me out.

https://www.amazon.com/Esobo-Fashion-Winter-Four-Legged-Sweaters/dp/B0922FBC62/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=O1hhO&content-id=amzn1.sym.5f7e0a27-49c0-47d3-80b2-fd9271d863ca%3Aamzn1.symc.e5c80209-769f-4ade-a325-2eaec14b8e0e&pf_rd_p=5f7e0a27-49c0-47d3-80b2-fd9271d863ca&pf_rd_r=P8MJ7QZDAQA923N18BVV&pd_rd_wg=hxwxD&pd_rd_r=30e4727c-861e-4ed1-b344-146ea4f2606e&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1

You could write the vendor and tell them how much your dog weighs and take their recommendation.  I see it is returnable if not correct.

I make coats and in my sizing, your dogs would be about 28-29 inches, depending.  Some dogs are more compact than long.

I have attached a measuring chart for you to use.  You could pick up a tape measure in the $store, probably.  Don't make it too big.  When your dog squats to poop, the coat will be hanging in his pile.

Good luck.

Measuring Your Dog.docx

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Greymike, What part of the country are you in and how cold does it get? 

There's several comments on the sizing chart for the outfit you're interested in. Both iggies and big non-greyhounds had complaints about the fit.

I'd look for greyhound-specific coats.

I was just going to suggest Irene with Houndtime. She makes both fleece and flannel coats. My greyhounds rarely needed a coat, hated fleece because of the static, but loved Houndtime's flannel coats.  http://www.houndtime.com/?fbclid=IwAR0BtnX9gYJZW8snPHZBzp_FT74BWBjkUrWjPce0gLVTusEg8CHH1pYE4o4

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

They don’t look large enough for a GH. My whippet’s chest it an XL.  Start here on GT by searching topics for winter coats. Also look at the Halemar site. I used their jackets more than the $$$$ voyager coats. But do purchase one of Irene’s coats- they are great for city nights in the house, chilly days and can be worn under a Halemar coat. 

58 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

They don’t look large enough for a GH. My whippet’s chest it an XL.  Start here on GT by searching topics for winter coats. Also look at the Halemar site. I used their jackets more than the $$$$ voyager coats. But do purchase one of Irene’s coats- they are great for city nights in the house, chilly days and can be worn under a Halemar coat. 

I agree. The coat you've linked looks better suited for Italian greyhounds or whippets. If you want something at the same price point, I'd look at the XXL in this (actually, the red appears to be on sale for $11.99!! :blink:) or for a little more, the largest size of this one.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

If you don't want to buy a tape measure, do you have a ruler or a yardstick, or know someone who does?  You could even use a 12"x12" floor tile, if you have those.   Get some string/ribbon/rope/belt and place that around the strategic measuring areas of your hound.  Length is while the dog is standing, measure from the back of the neck to the start of the tail.  Chest is around the biggest diameter.  String should be not too loose but not too tight.  Then put the string along your yardstick to measure. 

It's really easier just to get a tape measure from Amazon before you order the coat.  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

24 minutes ago, Greymike said:

I wanted a coat that the dogs can wear around the house for the cold winter. One with legs on the front and the back.

The flannel housecoats made by Houndtime (above) don’t have legs but my campers have been wearing them for years and they have been just right for our winters. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

On 9/18/2023 at 12:15 PM, Greymike said:

I wanted a coat that the dogs can wear around the house for the cold winter. One with legs on the front and the back.

someone gave me a coat with all 4 legs- no matter which dog wore it- they are either in or out of the rear legs. go for 2 simple house coats and a fleece blanket that your dog can nest in.

I’d also recommend legless clothes. Even before Buddy was old and arthritic, I could never get those long sticks to bend into something with legs, and if you decide to leave the clothes on for turn outs and you happen to have a boy, he will pee all over them! Something you can drape over your dog’s head and wrap under their belly is ideal.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23