Greyhounds, rugs and Parkinson's...

Irish

So, my husband has Parkinson's Disease and I've been told to remove all rugs. I'm going to visit a Greyhound on Saturday and possibly adopt. The kennel manager told me I need to lay rugs down for the grey (I've read this also) since we have hardwood floors. Is this usually  the case with greys? Because I'm scared to take the chance that my husband might trip or worse, fall, over the rugs. 🥺

Edited by Irish
Didn't edit😉

I've always had rugs out for my hounds.  Runners here and there.  I've got a blind hound who uses those to stay oriented.  I've also used them for feeble, shaky elderly hounds, and for my youngish girl who had corns.   Carpets or runners do seem to make their lives easier.  I'm sorry you're facing this dilemma.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

We use yoga mats to make paths for Punkin. They grip well and *may* pose less of a tripping hazard than a carpet, I don't know. Not all greys require anything over a wooden, tiled or linoleum floor and perhaps your group can locate a hound whose needs have been determined by him having already been fostered in a home. That being said, as our greys age, a bit of grip (mat/carpet) may be necessary. I too am sorry you are having to weigh this. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I think most greyhounds (and most dogs in general) will be ok with, or at least quickly get used, to walking on hardwood floors, though a few may have issues. Can you take the prospective greyhound somewhere with hard floors to see how it goes? Put someone across the floor with a treat - if the hound goes across to get the treat I expect he will be fine. If the greyhound is ok walking on hard floors, then you could just put a few rugs or dog beds in corners away from where your husband would be walking, so the greyhound has comfortable places to lie down.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

The other option is to use something like a ground cloth or very thin runners.  The dogs just need to feel something grippier than a smooth floor, not necessarily something thick like an actual rug.  That way you can also secure the all the edges to the floor with carpet tape to make it safer for your husband.  Anything with a low profile can work depending on your husbands needs - FLOR floor tiles, green artificial turf runners, paint tarps cut to fit, thin outdoor rugs/runners, vinyl office floor runners.

Some folks have had success using things like PAWZ socks or toenail grips or paw pad stickers to help their dog feel more secure on slicker floors without rugs.  It also helps to keep their paws clean and well moisturized, so they stay flexible and naturally grippy.  A dry paw pad gives a very slick feel on smooth floors.

We've had the spectrum here in regards to comfort on smooth floors - all the way from "no problems" to my one now who has to be carried into the vets office because she won't leave the entrance mat by the door!!  :rolleyes: 

But definitely ask if they have any information about how any prospective dog reacts with slick floors.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Even if the hound has no initial problems with hardwood floors, one bad slip can set them back. This happened with our Willa, and we had to make her little "islands" of rugs to get her confidence back up, which took several weeks. I would recommend low-profile rugs or runners, like others have said, and carpet tape. We've had a lot of luck with this one: https://a.co/d/jl90st9 It holds the rug in place wonderfully so your husband won't trip, but it doesn't damage the hardwoods underneath. If you use yoga mats, the tape does tend to pull off some of the rubber, but at least yoga mats are cheap!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

After all of the greyhounds we've had here, I would not subject any greyhound or other big dog to a smooth or shiny floor like hardwood, tile or smooth concrete. At some point as they've aged, every one has had a moment where their back legs slipped on a smooth floor. Fortunately no major injuries, but they were often sore for a few days after and reluctant to walk on the same surface again. One of our hounds, Petunia, was petrified of any smooth or shiny floor. This house looked like a rug showroom when she was with us. Even now with two older dogs, we had a custom runner cut that runs about 26 feet long from the back door to the edge of the kitchen, and additional runners on their route to the back yard. 

If their paw pads get dry they will be even more prone to slipping. From experience, I don't think you can say that you will never need to have rugs/runners in place for the hound. 

My father-in-law has some mobility issues that are similar to Parkinson's and will even trip over or get caught on his own feet on any surface, so rugs are indded a tripping hazard for anyone with similar conditions. 

Good luck in whatever decision you make. There are lots of people here who have been through similar circumstances, so it's a good place to check if you have more questions. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

look up tacky paw, show people use it for their dogs for indoor ring. some dogs do skid out. i think i saw it on amazon but cherrybrook should definitely have it.  if you can't find that product google  "what is used on show dogs paws to stop them from skidding out"

sorry, but husband trump dog. the stuff really works.

oh, yoga mats slip, low profile neoprene runners stay in place. but with the parkinson shuffle even that is dangerous. the elderly fall and either break their pelvis or hip.

Edited by cleptogrey

2 hours ago, Irish said:

thank you cleptogrey. I appreciate the ideas and the husband ;) I'm realizing this more and more, that my husband comes first. which should've been obvious in the first place. oops. (sorry honey xo)

your most welcome. 

try bringing your dog in weekly for nail trimming as well. and do get the tacky paw or something similar- non-toxic. the old stuff was a rosin type product. think about it, gymnast us rosin all the time, but this is not messy. 

good luck w/ all and keep that spouse truckin- 

28 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

your most welcome. 

try bringing your dog in weekly for nail trimming as well. and do get the tacky paw or something similar- non-toxic. the old stuff was a rosin type product. think about it, gymnast us rosin all the time, but this is not messy. 

good luck w/ all and keep that spouse truckin- 

💛💙💜💚🧡❤️

Every breed can and does have individual dogs who don't care for slick floors.  Until you meet one and see how they react you can't make generalizations about any certain breed.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all, just wanted to give you a little update. I put down some low pile rugs and my husband has done great one them. =) We still don't have a grey because we still need to get some things settled, but hopefully one day. :)