Pink feet

Allergies? Stress licking? Pain? I’ve had dogs who did all of that. The worst looking was my senior who had started to have spinal issues. He licked so much in one week his toes looked raw. Took him to vet. She started him in pain meds & licking stopped. 
The allergies for my dog were not food related. Seemed more seasonal & bathing with medicated shampoo every couple weeks handled it.

There are so many possible causes. A vet visit would be a place to start. 

If allergy testing is suggested I would hold off on that. It's expensive and not always reliable. Your vet can prescribe something (pills or an injection that lasts about 3 months) but ask about just trying Zyrtec first.

Have you recently put any fertilizer or weed killer on your lawn? Any chance of an over-spray from a neighbors yard?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yes to all the above.

Start by scheduling a vet visit.  You want to rule out anything physical causing pain or tingling in his feet or dragging his feet.  As you wait to get in start wiping his feet off with hypoallergenic baby wipes when he comes inside in case it's some sort of allergy or other reaction.  Also, do a bit of research on his food and treats to check and see if they've changed anything in the formulation recently.  Companies aren't required to report when they make changes to established formulas so you may need to email the company and ask.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Look around during your walks and see if something in particlular is blloming that isn't normally present. When we had this happen there was a massive ragweed bloom in our area. Rocket also licked his paws to the point of being pink or red. He had to have steroids and and allergy drug to get it under control. At the time, all of the other dogs that we usually saw on our walks were having the same issue, and as we talked to other owners we learned that they all had ended up at the vet and prescribed pretty much the same meds. 

We also used baby wipes to clean the paws after every walk and every trip outside. If you don't the problem just continues. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

allergy to mold in grasses/dirt? very common. OR FUNGUS? at one point emily was licking away- my vet inspected her webbing, what i thought was just dirt turned out to be fungus. Felix had an issue w/ his nail bed at the same time- fungus. we used human jock itch spray and it healed up quickly. but let your vet look at it.

Has anyone put down fertilzer lately? Definitely sounds like an allergy.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

One of our girls has the same problem and it started last summer. We noticed some new weeds in our yard and the more they spread, the more issues she had. We had her at the vet 3-4x last summer and ended up getting a Cytopoint shot and cleaning/drying her feet every single time she went out. That cleared up her issues. We're doing the same thing this summer. We're pretty sure it's an allergy to whatever those dumb weeds are!

Edited by Sundrop