Hi everyone! 
I’m having a bit of trouble, but it hasn’t developed into trouble trouble just yet…I have a greyhound. He is five years old and he is an amazing guy. He does NOT get along with dogs who are high energy and I know that. So we steer clear if I notice he’s getting overwhelmed or the other dog isn’t responding to his boundaries. Anyways, I adopted a female, Mia, yesterday. She is also five and is actually his litter mate!! I think it’s adorable but obviously they don’t care. They get along great and she’s super lazy just like he is. I’m having zero issues with her. She’s potty trained right away so it’s been amazing. The issue is…my male, Tej, showed his teeth at her today when I was sitting on a chair by them. He was in front of me and she stood beside him and he showed his teeth. I told him to be nice and removed myself from the situation if it was a “I’m protecting my mom or I’m jealous of her giving you attention” kind of thing. Then, a few minutes later I’m in the kitchen and he stands by me and she walks up and he shows his teeth AGAIN. There was no growling involved just him showing his teeth. I moved out of the way again. She did not seem to be bothered by his reaction. She just stood there almost ignoring it. My question is, do I just let it play out? He has never done anything more than a growl and teeth shown to any other dog. But I’m a first time grey owner and I want to make sure I do this right. They share space and food and literally everything else even though I have two of everything on opposite sides of the room. They have their own stuff but neither guards resources or has any indication of food aggression so I am not worried about them sharing (obviously still keeping their stuff opposite just in case). I have had zero problems taking them out together on leash when she walks up to him when he’s standing by me. Heck, she even slammed her face into his on accident and he didn’t react at all! It was only in those two situations where he showed his teeth. 

please help! I feel like I’m failing the introduction process right now. 

I do want to add…

we met on neutral ground with both dogs on lead. They weren’t let off lead due to it not being a fenced in area. However, they had complete slack after the sniffing stage was over. No one showed any signs of discomfort or aggression. To get them both in my vehicle, we put muzzles on them because it was a small space. They both laid down and snuggled for the majority of the ride home. Then, she stood up and stepped on him about five minutes from home and he growled. I told him to be nice and that was the end of it. To be honest, I would be pretty upset if someone stepped on me in a small area so I can’t be too upset over that interaction. The rest of the time it was fine. While they were home for the first few hours, their muzzles stayed on. After a few hours I felt like I could take them off safely and it was fine. They have been inseparable since. She follows him around and he shows her how to navigate the house. He booped her nose when she was laying down and that was fine-no reactions from either of them. And she was having trouble on the hardwood and he noticed it. He gave her a little nudge on the back and walked next to her until she felt confident to walk on her own. They are super sweet together so far and he’s being a great teacher and helping her. It’s almost human-like, but it’s been amazing to watch. The teeth baring when he was next to me is just a little concerning 

Welcome and congratulations on your new addition.  I am sure you will get lots of good advice.  May I make a suggestion to use a muzzle on each until they get used to each other and settle in completely.  He may just be saying that is to close to my mom and they may work it out after a little while.  Just saw your second post, maybe use the muzzles when you hang out until he learns you have enough love and attention for both of them.  I always would rather be safe than at the vet or e vets for something a muzzle could prevent.

When I introduced my second greyhound every time they were in the yard my first would T-bone the new greyhound so hard I could hear the air come out across the yard.  This went on for a few weeks even took them to an enclosed track and had a behaviorist watch the behavior.  The second greyhound learned not to get in front of my first greyhound. (She was a racer with a decent record he was a school drop out).  They became the best of friends  once he learned the rules.

Keep the muzzles on until this gets sorted out. If your male is showing his teeth because he's upset, don't tell him to "be nice". You want a warnings. Sometimes they are very subtle. Try to figure out what little cue he may have given before it led up to him showing his teeth.  

But, is there any chance he's what we call a "smiler"?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

2 minutes ago, 1Moregrey said:

Welcome and congratulations on your new addition.  I am sure you will get lots of good advice.  May I make a suggestion to use a muzzle on each until they get used to each other and settle in completely.  He may just be saying that is to close to my mom and they may work it out after a little while.  Just saw your second post, maybe use the muzzles when you hang out until he learns you have enough love and attention for both of them.  I always would rather be safe than at the vet or e vets for something a muzzle could prevent.

When I introduced my second greyhound every time they were in the yard my first would T-bone the new greyhound so hard I could hear the air come out across the yard.  This went on for a few weeks even took them to an enclosed track and had a behaviorist watch the behavior.  The second greyhound learned not to get in front of my first greyhound. (She was a racer with a decent record he was a school drop out).  They became the best of friends  once he learned the rules.

Thank you so much for responding. I do not own the muzzles so unfortunately that is not something I can do for the long term. They are on loan just until tomorrow from the adoption lady. 

1 minute ago, macoduck said:

Keep the muzzles on until this gets sorted out. If your male is showing his teeth because he's upset, don't tell him to "be nice". You want a warnings. Sometimes they are very subtle. Try to figure out what little cue he may have given before it led up to him showing his teeth.  

But, is there any chance he's what we call a "smiler"?

Thank you so much for responding. I know I shouldn’t say anything but it’s such an immediate response. I will definitely be more aware of it in the future. I agree, the warnings are extremely important. I don’t want him to lash out without warning if I continue to encourage that.

I don’t think there is a chance he is a smiler? I was thinking about that too but I have never seen him smile in any other situation. 

They are well worth the small cost of purchasing.  I ordered an extra one and a stool cup from greyhounds only just FYI they come in just a few days and as long as you are getting them I recommend getting a stool guard for each one.  My girl came with hookworms and the stool guard just helps make sure she does not eat anything they also help with cuts and stitches.  There are multiple places to get them.

Could you keep them for a few more days from your adoption group?

Just now, 1Moregrey said:

They are well worth the small cost of purchasing.  I ordered an extra one and a stool cup from greyhounds only just FYI they come in just a few days and as long as you are getting them I recommend getting a stool guard for each one.  My girl came with hookworms and the stool guard just helps make sure she does not eat anything they also help with cuts and stitches.  There are multiple places to get them.

Could you keep them for a few more days from your adoption group?

I could definitely reach out and ask. Both have been off the track for 2+ years, if that makes a difference at all? I’m not certain. Greyhound behavior is a lot different from what I am used to. 

2 minutes ago, tejnmia said:

Both have been off the track for 2+ years, if that makes a difference at all? I’m not certain. Greyhound behavior is a lot different from what I am used to. 

Time off the track does not really matter in this case.  This is a case of a whole new life and new housemates.  It just takes time to learn the new house rules and then the rules between the two greyhounds, someone needs to be the leader and someone the follower.  They will sort it out just give them time, supervision and uses all your tools in your tool kit. ( keep a schedule, greyhounds love there schedule) does not always have to be time specific but same thing happens turn outs, walk, playtime, feeding.  Use muzzles when you need to and all the gentle positive reinforcement you can hand out.

Please up date us and let us know how they are doing.  

3 minutes ago, 1Moregrey said:

Time off the track does not really matter in this case.  This is a case of a whole new life and new housemates.  It just takes time to learn the new house rules and then the rules between the two greyhounds, someone needs to be the leader and someone the follower.  They will sort it out just give them time, supervision and uses all your tools in your tool kit. ( keep a schedule, greyhounds love there schedule) does not always have to be time specific but same thing happens turn outs, walk, playtime, feeding.  Use muzzles when you need to and all the gentle positive reinforcement you can hand out.

Please up date us and let us know how they are doing.  

I keep a pretty strict schedule, maybe not time related but in order of how I do things. I wake up, we go outside, etc etc. i do not like my schedule to change and honestly that could be a problem right now too. Tej is so used to our schedule and we’ve deviated from it slightly. Even a slight schedule change stresses me out and Tej definitely picks up on that. Once we get back to it I’m sure that will definitely help our situation. I want to thank you again for responding, you have been a huge help to relieve some of this stress. The adoption lady told me to let them figure it out and if they get mouthy, so be it. “They’re dogs and they’ll figure it out by whatever means necessary.” Obviously I want to avoid whatever that could entail…so I figured greytalk might be able to help. Thank you again!! 

I would ask to borrow the muzzles until you can get your own.  It's an important tool for several reasons:  to separate and keep them from harming each other right now, to keep from licking an injury or wound, to keep from eating nasties outside and I am sure that there are more.  Everything is too new right now to take chances.  They are used to muzzles and will be fine if they wear them for a while.  Better safe than sorry.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Welcome to you, Tej, and Mia.  

To add to the posts above, I agree in not correcting Tej when he growls at Mia for stepping on him or showing his teeth when he thinks she is too close to his most prized resource -- you!  He is actually showing good dog manners, letting her know what the rules are without hurting her.  Try to think of it as he is guiding her just as much by doing those things as he is in helping her learn how to navigate around the house.  Over time, as they get more comfortable with each other, the rules may change. 

I also agree in keeping muzzles on, at least when you are not right there.  That adds safety for both. 

It sounds like the introduction period is going very well.  Congreytulations! 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

What Ellen said :nod

If you are in the US, GEM sells muzzles https://gemstore-185419.square.site/

And here too  https://www.hound-safe.com/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hi everyone! I have an update-very surprising in such a short time. These two have become the best of friends. I took them to the dog park when no one else was there and let them off lead. Oh my goodness. They played and played and turned the park into a track! It was amazing. Since then, they do everything together. They greet me and ask for attention together. They both get in each other’s space and push each other out of the way to get to me and there’s no reaction from anyone. I think Tej figured out that I have not one but TWO hands to give pets to everyone. I adore these two. 

obviously I’m still watching them close and keeping an eye on their interactions, but so far it seems like they really enjoy each other. Tej has really gotten out of his shell and plays more now than I have ever seen since adopting him! Thank you everyone for your advice, i really appreciate it. 

Wonderful update! 

tiny hada siggy.png

:beatheart

tiny hada siggy.png

Glad all seems well. When one of the two girls I have react negatively to the other one, I just try to draw their attention away from negative gestures by taking them for a walk, distract them with playing with a toy, or a treat. Seems to work for us. Their behavior has improved. Often, their spats are over treats and one trying to take it from the other one. Older one is more experienced. Younger one, usually walks away. But, younger one wants to hang on the older one when in the dog yard when they go out to pee. I feed them their regular meals separately most of the time and it is not a problem for me since I am retired. I do not leave them with food when I am not at home. They steal toys from one another to entertain themselves, and it has never been an issue. Older girl is on her third partner, since her last two partners have passed with cancer. When my girls walk together, the older one pees and the younger one will most always have to pee in the same spot to mark it, I think more of a challenge but without negative reaction from the older one. My human side sees it as a contest somewhat. They sleep on their own beds at night next to each other and have no issues. They follow each other around the house. I just think they love their own kind to communicate with. I have had two greyhounds together for the past 13 years and they just seem to love that the most. I would not have it any other way. My first two were loners did not have a companion to be with. My last six have never not had a partner to be with. It makes them more perky in my opinion as we all know greyhounds have that tendency to be couch potatoes. Congratulations on having more than one, like potato chips. :)

That's a nice early Christmas present for you. It's always a leap into the dark when introducing another dog into the household and I'm happy it worked out for you.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I have another question for everyone. We went to the park again yesterday, staying on the side with no other dogs because I’m trying to socialize Mia with other breeds through the safety of a fence (she gets along well with my mom’s black lab but it’s a precaution and she’s not fixed YET ((she was a broodie before I adopted her))). Anyways, yesterday a husky came in and Mia and Tej were racing him along the fence. No issues except Tej was barking at him the whole time they were running. Now I know greyhound play tends to be more “rough” but Tej has never barked at another dog before. Their tails were all wagging and they seemed to be having fun and the husky was barking back at him so I don’t think it was aggression. I’m just curious if that’s a normal grey behavior or if I need to correct that immediately. Tej LOVES the dog park and loves racing the other dogs but I’ve just never seen him bark while playing. But like I mentioned before, he’s been crazy playful since adding Mia into our little family. Before Mia, he would play with me but it was more “let’s play with the stuffed toy and then relax” and now with Mia, he is really rowdy and it’s fun to watch. 

Totally normal for Tej to bark and there's no need to correct it. Willa and Doolin (my own littermates) play in our backyard all the time and I'm sure the neighbors think they're vicious because Willa talks so much smack (snarling, barking, growling, the whole works). :lol But that's all it is, and Doolin knows it. They're having a good time!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Hahah that’s too funny!! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m so happy to hear that!! I adore these two and I am so happy to see Tej act more “dog.” Before Mia, he wanted to lay in bed all day and would come over to me for attention. He loves to snuggle in bed and be a little spoon. It’s adorable. But now, he finally has the zoomies!!!!!!!! I’m so happy!! (Don’t let that fool you, he still always wants to be in my arms :lol:)