Broken toenail under the skin is that a thing?

So Journey was just out running in the yard.   Having a good time she came over to me and one of her toe nails is at 90 degrees from where it should be.  No blood, no scream, pad appears to be ok she of course is limping.  She goes to vet tomorrow.  Just wondering if it is possible to break the nail off at the joint to the toe bone if that makes sense?  Will have to see what the vet says tomorrow.  The toe pad is in the right place just the nail is going it’s own direction.

Can you wrap it/put a sock on it so it doesn't catch on anything and perhaps make it worse?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

One of our hounds (I think it was Petunia )had an extra nail grow out the side of her toe.  We had to keep it dremeled. I'd probably let the vet deal with it since you are going anyway. Maybe wrap the foot with vet wrap to avoid snagging the nail. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It's entirely possible.  It could also be dislocated at that first joint.  If you have a way to protect it until your exam - boot, sock, wrap, etc - it would help.  Keep her quiet.

She may be quite painful on it by tomorrow morning.  And it might need to be removed - either the nail part or the whole joint.  Your vet may need to take xrays to figure out what's going on.

Good luck!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don’t know if this will help you. Buddy has a nail that must have broken in the past which grows upwards. It is fractured into a larger piece and a smaller piece just at the side. Because of its angle it is vulnerable to being knocked and to breaking again, which it has done once since we’ve had him, which made him limp. We took him to the vet on a Friday, who identified that it had become partially detached, and booked us in to have it removed on the following Monday as he would need to be sedated to do it - it was still too attached to just pull off. Over the weekend, he detached it himself - probably when he was doing one of his post-wee floor scratches - there was no blood, no scream and no more limp. We were told to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn’t get infected but we didn’t have any more issues with it then or since, and it has grown back upwards

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Thanks all, Journey goes in this afternoon.   I think it might end up being a break in the same place as you would declaw a cat.  I expect X-rays and a surgery/procedure.  I was able to relocate it in a normal position last night.  It is to wobbly to not be broken/torn in my non-vet opinion.  The foot is very swollen all intact, she has done a good job of not messing with it and just resting quietly.  She hurt this foot this spring bruised it badly, it had recovered she has been on house rest and then leash walks.  Then this happened will be glad to talk to the vet the scheduler said she could eat and drink before she come in,  I am going to be mean she got a little water this morning and nothing until after her appointment in case the can do surgery.  

We will take any good thoughts and well wishes.

That looks like angel Bea's broken toe. She came quietly loping up the yard to me and I heard the toe snap. She never made a sound, nor complained about it, ever, except during when we tried to fix it for her by using a splint and other methods. She wanted nothing to do with any of it. That toe eventually settled into wonky unbrokenness and didn't bother her for the rest of her life.

I hope you fare as well! Good luck Journey, let us know how you do.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

She did break it at the declaw joint got pain meds on board.  House rest for a few weeks.  Vet said a few greyhounds with this kind of issue just have to be hand walked for life.  We are not there yet going to work on making boots fun for all so she might be able to play in the yard with shoes on after the bone heals.

She did not think surgery was the way to go sometimes it complicates things.  I asked if her nails needed to be shorter she said they looked good.  So will see what next spring brings Hope that will allow the nail/toe plenty of time to heal.

Keep good thoughts that it heals up and one day she can run again with out injuries.

I bet she'll be just fine once it heals. Wiki has a toe that the nail kind of sticks up. It could very likely be from the same sort of injury. It doesn't bother her one bit. 

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

8 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

I bet she'll be just fine once it heals. Wiki has a toe that the nail kind of sticks up. It could very likely be from the same sort of injury. It doesn't bother her one bit. 

That is what I am hoping for.  She hurt her foot in June and had been leashed walked.  Vet thought it was a sprain/bruise she was put on rest pain meds and hand walking.  She was doing good, this was her first play in the yard off leash. So I hope it is not a trend and it heals completely by spring so maybe she can play in the yard again one day.  Thanks for letting me know can heal and be ok.  

One of mine had this, it was sensitive while the nail grew out of course, but no long term problems.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.