New rescue barking at night

Hi everyone,

We adopted our first greyhound last night a 1yr old girl (this is also our first dog, we currently have 2 indoor cats) we went to bed and put her to bed in our spare room, down the hall from us with a comfy bed an her jacket incase she was cold (but may have been to hot because she was panting) after 30 mins she started barking so I got up thinking she may have needed the toilet, which she did so we put her back in the room and she just started barking again. We picked her up that afternoon and she was outside all afternoon and night until we went to bed. We have a large uncover patio area with a bed off the ground she was happily laying on. We haven't introduced the cats face to face yet because we are trying to do it slowly for everyone, however I had no idea what to do last night and she seemed more calmer outside when we went out again and just chilled out and went on her bed. The rescue said she slept inside at their house with the dogs that were downstairs and they were all upstairs, we only have a 1 storey house however. We don't want her sleeping in our room as we have never had any animal sleep in our room, plus we do run the air con quite low at 18 degrees and we want her to have her own space as well, I dont think that's an unreasonable thing?
I'm guessing the first night at a new house inside and she was quite anxious? Is there any way I can ease her into this better, I'm thinking of getting a crate for the spare room so it's her own space (not shutting the door) and putting blankets over it etc, also wasnt sure if she was scared of how dark it was because we have 100% block out blinds so we tried opening the window but it didn't help. We just have the door shut because our cats have always free roamed our house at night when they sleep. I just want some help as I'm trying to do the best thing possible here as well.
I did some searching this morning and a lot of places said don't get up and go to them when they bark as then they know they will get your attention, I don't want her barking inside all night and getting compliants as well. We didn't get a chance to walk her yesterday so I'm also wondering if that contributed to it she had some toys but she doesn't play with any.

They are very social and do not like to be alone.  I don't know if you had shut the door as they don't like to be closed in either.  She probably would be much happier sleeping in your room with you.  It doesn't have to be in your bed, just near by. 

As hint, usually the first night is not the worst with crying.  It was all strange yesterday.  Today, the realization will set in for her that she is alone now.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Please search this forum for additional suggestions; quickly, I found this. There is a link I'm trying to locate about bringing home a new solo greyhound, hopefully another member sees this and can post it asap.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What is your newly retired Greyhound thinking? By Kathleen Gilley

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. 

This is the article I was looking for. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Can only speak from experience with two Grey's who we rescued at the same time. I ignored the barking the first night in the hope it would settle. I had open sleeping arrangements downstairs for them, couldn't bring them upstairs because they hadn't yet figured these out, and we didn't really intend / plan on them sleeping upstairs.

I appreciate you live in a single storey so it's not such a simple fix, but when I set them up a bed upstairs, they are much more content. They'll settle downstairs all day long, only go up to sleep at night. Maybe knowing where you are will ease things.

My first thought when I read the post was that this was some kind of a joke...Who adopts a dog, brings it home and then shuts into a room all alone for the night.

Perhaps a Greyhound is not the best fit for your lifestyle.  Maybe get another cat ???

You have been given very good advice as well as some suggested reading.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

1 hour ago, tiffachu said:

Thanks, for that. I just want her to be happy and content as well and if she seemed happy outside and content it seemed like a smart move?

Greyhounds are not outdoor dogs.  Please do NOT consider this as a solution.

You just adopted a dog who has never, ever, in her entire life, spent any significant time without any companion.  To plunk her down in a completely unfamiliar room, shut the door and isolate her, without any training whatsoever, and expect her to lay there quietly was not a realistic expectation on your part.   Dogs have a native understanding level of a 2-3 year old human toddler - would you do that to a child??

I understand that expectations are different in different countries, and in the UK it's not a thing to have your companion animals sleep near you.  But you need to give her something.  She has no bond with with you, limited familiarity with living in a house (with other dogs), no trust, no sense of comfort.  YOU have to create all that for her.

She's still basically a puppy at only 1 year old, and she'll need a significant amount of exercise every day, a strict daily schedule that doesn't vary, rules and boundaries so she learns manners, and a lot more patience than you've shown so far. 

Crate training is a great idea as long as you introduce it correctly and don't just shove her in at bed time and expect it to work.  Set it up where you want her "safe space" to be with all the doors open and a nice comfy bed inside.  She may prefer to have a cover over it, or she may prefer to see out - you'll need to be flexible until you figure that out.  Do short training sessions where you toss very YUMMY treats inside for her to go get and come back out.  Once she's comfortable with that, you can feed her in her crate to make it more of a good thing.  If you're going to want/need to crate her while the humans are gone (due to the cats, particularly) you can begin shutting the doors for short periods, treating and praising, and opening them up again.   

Crate training will take some time, so maybe you can grab a sleeping bag or cot and sleep in her room until she's more settled.

Got the book "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell for step-by-step help in doing Alone Training, which will be the next step.

There are many threads here on Greytalk to search through for tips on introducing you new greyhound to your resident cats.  Hopefully your adoption group cat tested her prior to adopting her out to a home with cats.  Still, be very cautious with these introductions - sometimes dogs lie on cat tests and they are most definitely NOT cat tolerant.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have brought her inside today for some time, but we can't have her inside all the time due to the cats. We have an 11m L shaped patio thats cool and shaded that she is happy to stay under. It's more at night we aren't sure what to do and last night we put her outside because she seemed happy and was anxious in the room alone (which is fair) We can't have the spare room open because of the cats either

The rescue did say they she had been cat tested and didn't seem to care for cats however our cats have seen her but they haven't met face to face as of yet they can just see each other through the door.

4 hours ago, tiffachu said:

The rescue did say they she had been cat tested and didn't seem to care for cats however our cats have seen her but they haven't met face to face as of yet they can just see each other through the door.

Just a word of caution. Guinness was tested as cat safe but had to be returned from his first foster home because he didn't get on with their cat. Some dogs lie on the cat testing exam and others tell the truth and some just don't like the particular cat they are homed with.

I'm also someone who doesn't want their pet in my bedroom, I don't even allow them upstairs. Try putting an old blanket or quilt on the bed she sleeps on in the day time so it starts to smell like her then put it on her nighttime bed. Don't put a coat on her, my two greyhounds sleep quite happily in a cool room and Grace won't wear a coat outside unless it's below freezing. Make sure your nighttime routine and waking routine is the same each day, even at weekends, so she knows what's going to happen and doesn't worry about being abandoned. Give her a few nights of whining, barking and going to see if she wants to go for a pee but don't make a fuss.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Did your adoption group do a home visit prior to approving the adoption? Are they aware of the arrangements this young dog would be living in? 

Your cats are obviously more important that trying to settle this terrified dog into your home.

Please return this dog to the group so they can find her a kind and loving home.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Our grey has never slept with us but he does indeed sleep on the floor across the room from us and has never even tried getting on the bed.  I think you’ve taken a plunge into the deep end of the pool.  Greys aren’t cats and they’re really not like golden retriever’s.  Please don’t leave her outside at night alone.

Edited by Toffeesdad

Tiffachu as you can see there is difference of opinion on where a dog should sleep depending more or less on which side of the Atlantic you are but the one thing everyone agrees on is that greyhounds should sleep inside. One of the reasons is that they have thin coats and no body fat to insulate them from the weather. Also historically were bred as hunting dogs that hunt independently so any small animal could become prey including cats. As she is a young greyhound in time she should accept your cats as part of the pack and they will be safe but that doesn't guarantee the safety of your neighbours cats.

You have come to this forum for help advice and are getting a lot of criticism from people who don't know your full circumstances only what you have told us. Only you can decide if the home you have given this hound is right for her.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thanks @HeyRunDog I appreciate your help, I've received a lot of cristism yet no one takes the time to help they just think I'm the worlds worst person.

She will be sleeping inside when we get her used to everything, we are going to slowly start introducing her to the cats (they have seen each other everyday through the door) it's just I don't want them to meet straight away and have a bad experience either, we did the exact same thing with our kitten, which was much easier than with a dog.

I'm doing my best to take everything slow which includes her coming in as well so she can get used to outside too. Other owners have said they would never trust their greyhounds and cats alone together, so even when they are comfortable they won't be alone together, and like others we have to work as well and are away from home.

From opinions of people who know me and are actual vets as one who is a vet and a greyhound owner, they believe I am doing just fine and are 100% here if I need any advice. Not everyone wants a pet to sleep in their room with them either, which is something I can't understand.

I want to thank you again, honestly. Your comment between everyones meant a lot.

Not sure how your greyhound grew up, was she used to a crate?  I had never used a crate before I got my first greyhound.  I got mine before adoption groups were common.  It was a friend of a friend was a track vet made a phone call and ordered one kinda like a pizza.  No home check, no information, not shot records, was not spayed, had never seen one in person only on tv.  Requested on Friday, got a call Monday morning to come pick her up.  Never saw the person I talked to.  (Sorry for rambling it was a different time and things change, point being that would never happen today.  Now there are home visits, contracts, they come fully vetted and with support from the adoption groups).  Before dogs were living inside as a general rule too.  Times change just like with kids used to be out at dawn, home for lunch back at sunset with the dog.  Now kids are inside on computers with the dog at there feet.

Ok back to the crate, I originally got one to do an airline trip that never happened.  Was the best thing I ever did.  Keeps the greyhound and cat safe from each other.  Gives the dog there own space could be put in whatever room you want her to sleep in.  I know the use of them can also be linked to where you live.

Hey @1Moregrey we got her a crate on Sunday and shes been going in it well, she has blankets over it and a big fluffy bed in it that she loves. I'm not sure how she grew up I believe she was a non chaser rescue didn't really tell me much information. Shes going well in the crate and I tested her with the door closed last night for a couple times like 15-20 minute periods and she was doing fine, Im trying to take everything slow so she can trust us and know we aren't going to leave her just in a crate. Once shes good overnight she will be crated with the door closed overnight.
We are going to start introducing the cats to her on Friday very slowly again, with a muzzle. But for now the cats have just been watching her outside so everyone can get used to everyone