Afraid dog will bite waking from sleep

Hi all,

I recently got a fantastic new 2 year old greyhound. I would never have realised I was such a dog person but I absolutely adore him. In the evening he loves nothing more than lying on my lap and cuddling into me. When he sleeps he has his muscle twitch racing dreams and I recently read about startle reflex where the animal can bite if they are woken suddenly from a sleep like that and to be honest it freaks me out a little bit. Does any one have any thoughts?

Second question I would love a really good training reference online/book as I know nothing about dogs and I’d love to begin a little train regime with him as much for the bonding experience as for anything else. 

All tips to a complete novice would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

Cynthia Brannigan's books about retired racing greyhounds, and Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies are both required reading for our adoption group before we adopt out any of our dogs.  I, personally, have also found any of Patricia McConnell's dog behavior books to be very helpful in understanding dog behavior in general.  

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Here is something to learn about dogs...it is an old old saying that has been around a long time: "Let sleeping dogs lie."  Leave the dog alone when he sleeps. Would you like being bothered while you were trying to rest/sleep?  If you just leave them alone when they sleep then you don't have to worry about startle responses or any other responses.  :inlove

Greyhounds are used to sleeping in kennels with noone touching them....  While I do sleep with some of mine, others are clearly a bit risky for sleep aggression because of their unique upbringing.  Also, they can appear awake when they are not...be cautious of that.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I would say that if he's been sleeping on your lap, and you haven't seen any evidence of sleep startle, he's probably not going to have that behavior.  It's always possible though, so just be aware in those situations.  And maybe limit his sleeping time in close proximity.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

5 hours ago, racindog said:

Here is something to learn about dogs...it is an old old saying that has been around a long time: "Let sleeping dogs lie."  Leave the dog alone when he sleeps. Would you like being bothered while you were trying to rest/sleep?  If you just leave them alone when they sleep then you don't have to worry about startle responses or any other responses.  :inlove

Thanks and definitely what I do mainly but he falls asleep lying on top of me on the couch so it can be anything from making a cup of tea, needing a pee from said cup of tea or heading off to bed that will wake him. 

5 hours ago, Fostr_Mom said:

Cynthia Brannigan's books about retired racing greyhounds, and Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies are both required reading for our adoption group before we adopt out any of our dogs.  I, personally, have also found any of Patricia McConnell's dog behavior books to be very helpful in understanding dog behavior in general.  

Brilliant that will be a huge help

Not all greyhounds have sleep startle. My Grace doesn't and by the sound of it yours doesn't either.

Basic training is possible with greyhounds but don't expect them to be as trainable as Labradors or collies for example. They are very good at chasing the thrown toy but then they will stand by it waiting for you to come and pick it up.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Greyhounds also sleep with their eyes open and can look quite awake when they aren't.  It never hurts to speak first if you want to touch a reclining hound.  

Welcome to the wonderful world of Greyhounds!

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

On 4/27/2021 at 6:21 AM, Fostr_Mom said:

I'd run away from a group that had required reading.  My first greyhound Little Girl was a basket case but she taught me about greyhounds and I taught her about being a pet.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

2 hours ago, Hubcitypam said:

I'd run away from a group that had required reading.  My first greyhound Little Girl was a basket case but she taught me about greyhounds and I taught her about being a pet

We have found that a lot of people have the wrong idea about greyhounds.  The required reading gives them a better idea about greyhounds and ownership. It also cuts down on just this sort of thing with new adopters.  We also ask them (in normal times) to visit one of our meet & greets so they can interact with the dogs and speak to the foster family about a dog they might be interested in.  It is all in an effort to make sure people really want a greyhound  (not a pie in the sky idea in their head) and cuts down on the returns.  This works for our group. 

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

6 hours ago, Hubcitypam said:

You can read until your eyes bleed but all of that has no guarantee the dog you get will have done the same reading.   

I agree. Grace hasn't read the bit about zoomies or counter surfing or sleep startle or wanting cuddles and a fuss made of her or separation anxiety etc. etc.

Here in the UK there are plenty of greyhounds up for adoption so we can pick and choose to a certain extent but you still don't know what your hound will be like in your home.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time