Are we feeding him enough?

tammers

Hi there,

We just adopted our big boy two weeks ago. He's been settling in well, no major issues or accidents so far. He's definitely on the quieter and low energy side, but recently we've been noticing bit more energy (playfulness? Grumpy hungry boy?) around meals. 

He gets 4.5 cups of Purina Pro Plan a day (he weighs about 82 pounds), split morning, lunch and dinner. He is definitely a chow hound and will eat anything in front of him. Lately, we've been seeing him wander all around the apartment hunting for food. Anytime we go to the kitchen and come out with no goods, he gets a small burst of energy and goes and finds a squeak toy which he tosses around with and chews (he is never playful with his toys otherwise). While I'm happy he's finally playing with his toys, is it only because he is HANGRY or frustrated? Is he bored? We're definitely looking to get other enrichment toys to get his energy out. 

Edited by tammers

The behaviour you describe sounds like how our dog is when he thinks we are going out, whether we are or not. He becomes very sweet and playful, but I think it’s more to do with getting attention, or maybe his dog way of enticing you to stay with him - why would you need to leave the house when you have such a cutie pie to entertain you? I’ve never considered it to be a display of hunger. If you’re feeding him the recommended amount and he’s not losing weight, you’re probably feeding him the right amount. At two weeks in, he’s probably exploring his surroundings and maybe just getting a bit more brave

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

He's not hungry nor HANGRY nor frustrated nor bored, he sounds like a well-adjusted silly happy boy, lucky you! When I mention "Supper" in any context, Annie goes on alert from wherever she is and either participates in the convo or more usually does a happy dance involving a stuffie. If "Supper" didn't actually involve food :lol after a cuddle with mom she goes back to whatever it was she was doing. Cletus KLTO, otoh, was none of those, he was simply a LabX and they are programmed to Hoover your floor. At all times. No matter how few crumbs there may be. All.Day.Long. Repeat. :lol 

Perhaps your boy would enjoy Noseworks. Food is involved :) 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Welcome!  You'll be able to tell over the next weeks or month whether that's enough food for your boy by paying attention to how he looks.  Pick a few noticeable anatomy parts -- hipbones, ribs, tuck (waist) -- and compare to how they are now.   

Each dog metabolizes food differently.  I feed the same Purina Pro Plan, and the 64-lb dog gets 2 cups a day, and the 76-lb dog gets 2.75-3  cups a day.  This is slightly less than what the  back of the package recommends, but it's what works for them.  The smaller dog is more active, but the larger dog for whatever reason needs almost  50% more food although he is not 50% bigger.  They also get treats 2x a day.  You're giving much more than here, so I don't think you're underfeeding him.  :)  How much is he pooping?  

One of my dogs finds a squeaky or a chewy when I'm preparing their food, and squeaks or chomps away.  I take it as a sign of happy expectation. It sounds like your dog is expressing his enjoyment in the transition to his new life as a pet.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

You're probably over analysing it. He's still settling in and starting to see what he can get away with. If every time he wanders around looking hungry or tossing his toys around he gets a treat or food "result."

Double check he's getting the right amount of food including treats and he should be getting about 20% protein. Any higher can make them overactive and unless they are getting a lot of exercise, for example when for when they were racing, they don't need it and can cause health problems later on.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

watch out! calorie count on pro plan just changed over the past couple of months. i ended up switching my girl from pro plan focus to purina one shredded beef. less calories and she's more satisfied (go know??) with her 2.25 c per day. but she's a 36lb whippet and runs for a good 2-3 hrs a day- so, she needs fuel. on the pro plan sport she was getting fluffy- that's the last thing you want with a sighthound. my gh(s) always weighed the same or a pound or two less than their track weight- they loose muscle. 

try the purina one and it sounds like a lot of food unless your dog is really active. felix weighed 74#s and annie 65# and walked 4 miles a day and played soccer in the yard. she ate 2-3 c per day, felix 3-4 depending upon activity and weather. i feed my dogs a tad more during the winter.

• 3 weeks later...

How is it going?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 2 months later...

Hi we recently adopted our first grey two weeks ago and we absolutely adore her, albeit a little shy at first she’s now fully up to speed with some hilarious behavior. We’ve always had larger breeds of dogs and fed them on Royal Canin without any problems whatsoever. Our greyhound is 18 months of age and she’s around 20 kilograms and we’re told she’s never raced. Not knowing what her previous diet consisted of and after a little research we’ve opted for Arden Grange Salmon & Rice as there’s some really positive reviews for the product and so far so good, no upset stomach and her coats coming up really well, we add a small amount of oats to her morning meal also. Quantity wise she’s having around 290 grams per day (2 cups full) as per the RDA from Arden Grange but seemingly has lost a little weight. Having googled advice there’s suggestions that we should be adding human grade meat to her meals but we’ve never done this with our previous dogs and they were very well   looked after on the dry food options only. 

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Hi we recently adopted our first grey two weeks ago and we absolutely adore her, albeit a little shy at first she’s now fully up to speed with some hilarious behavior. We’ve always had larger breeds of dogs and fed them on Royal Canin without any problems whatsoever. Our greyhound is 18 months of age and she’s around 20 kilograms and we’re told she’s never raced. Not knowing what her previous diet consisted of and after a little research we’ve opted for Arden Grange Salmon & Rice as there’s some really positive reviews for the product and so far so good, no upset stomach and her coats coming up really well, we add a small amount of oats to her morning meal also. Quantity wise she’s having around 290 grams per day (2 cups full) as per the RDA from Arden Grange but seemingly has lost a little weight. Having googled advice there’s suggestions that we should be adding human grade meat to her meals but we’ve never done this with our previous dogs and they were very well   looked after on the dry food options only. 

You will get lots of different opinions about diet as everyone does everything a bit differently. My advice is find a diet that works for your dog and for you. You don’t have to add meat to her diet, but you can if you want to. Mine is fed exclusively on kibble (with treats thrown in) and he’s fine on this. He looks healthy, he has a shiny coat and is quite spritely for a 10 year old. If yours is hungry, or you think she’s underweight, add a little more kibble. An 18 month old greyhound is probably quite active so she might just need a little more than the recommended amount, just keep an eye on her weight.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I've tried so hard to research the right amount of food to give Frazer, but never find anything concrete. His rescue centre were giving him 200g of Arden Grange thinking he weighed 55lb, I weighed him at the vet a couple of weeks ago and he was 69lb! So I upped it to 220-230g of kibble and top up with veg and some meat, reducing the kibble amount if he gets more meat. 

He still has a little hunt around for food, even after he's eaten, but I think he's just greedy! Or getting more brave and assertive, as others have said. I think as long as the dog is in good shape, their poos are fine (and plentiful!), and the deworming is up to date we shouldn't be too worried. Easier said than done!