non-squeak toys for a new 2 year old

smt

So, we are fostering (and may very well end up adopting) Ursula.  She is 2 and fits the description of all the folks who warn against adopting a 2 year old.  We have had lots of fosters in and out lately, all 2 years old, and she is the first who is a toy maniac.  It is CONSTANT.  While I love watching her get so much joy out of playing, the noise can begin to grate the last nerve. So, do you have any favorite toys that do not squeak and that will not destroy anything if she sends them flying through the air?

107824490_3324816320904439_1329097091661

Get her a screaming monkey. You will quickly miss those squeaky toys! :lol 

I don't know about any silent toys (unless you count a stuffed kong), but the grunting hedgehog is Sweep's all-time favorite, and I find the lower pitch far less bothersome.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

I think maybe some of the flat toys don’t squeak? Not sure, but, yeah, after listening to a screaming monkey at 3 a.m. you will be glad to put up with the squeakin:lol

edited to add, some people go to Goodwill and buy stuffed children’s toys. No squeakers, but be careful of eyes and things that can come off and be swallowed

Edited by Remolacha

Somebody posted in another thread recently about a toy that their dog loved which had a squeak audible only to dogs...can’t remember the details but I think the dog was possessive/aggressive over the toy, which was taken away. If you can find the thread, maybe you could ask them? She’s another beauty, by the way! And the squeaking doesn’t seem to be bothering Bette!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

You'll have to put your PPE on and perform a squeakectomy :D

A quick incision in the stuffed toy and you can remove the plastic squeaker or put a hole in it before sewing it up again.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I'll keep investigating.  For the time being, we are only "dosing" her with toys in intervals.  The rest of the time, the basket of toys is put out of her reach.  I think it's good for her to learn to be calm and content doing nothing.  And yes, Bette is able to tune her out, as she does with most everything.  We say that Bette is 2 going on 60 and Ursula is 2 going on 6 months.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have just adopted a greyhound, and he shows no interest in toys at present- don't think he knows what they are.

A new toy arrive today- PITAYA  CHEW TOY from N & A Dog Chew Toys from Amazon ( other sites are available)

He immediately jumped at it and spent a good few minutes playing, It seemingly has a squeaker, but he hasn't found it

With almost any squeaky stuffed toy, you can just cut a small slit in it with a knife and pull out the squeaker. It will usually be a hard (or harder) plastic thingy inside the stuffed toy.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Investigate Kong toys.  At least some of them have a squaker you can turn off and on.  We also use a lot of rope and knotted toys though those can get very heavy.  Their favorite rope toy is a HUGE solid rope ball almost a foot across.  That thing will knock you flat if they throw it in your direction, but they have so much fun playing with it!  That one stays outside for the most part.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have a couple of the squeaky toys that are only audible to dogs. TrustyPup and HearDoggy both make them, and our grey loves them both. The TrustyPup platypus toy was the first toy she ever resource-guarded (though we've since worked on that). You can buy the TrustyPup ones at Target, and the HearDoggy ones either on Chewy or Amazon. For both kinds, when they're squeaked it just sounds like a puff of air to human ears.

If you're open to some less obnoxious squeakers, Outward Hound has a Fattiez line that makes a lower-pitched grunting instead of squeaking. I believe there are other companies/lines that have more of the lower-pitched noises too.