How much Bach's Rescue Remedy to give?

smt

What is the correct dosage of Bach's RR (per the dropper) for a 58 pound female, 2 years old?  Our foster rep has given the OK to give our new foster girl BRR to see if it eases some of her dislike of the crate when left alone.  She is not soiling or destructive in the crate, but she does a lot of barking and won't stay settled in the crate when we leave.  We want to do whatever we can to make the crate as low stress as possible for her, and if her emotional state can be improved by a little BRR, then that is what we are going for.  We are giving her a frozen kong when we leave, and I randomly toss in treats for her throughout the day for her to discover.  We also crate while we are home for short durations so she does not only associate it with being left alone.  She gets a 1.5 mile walk in the morning.  Lastly, we leave classical music on for her, or play "Through a Dog's Ears" on repeat.  Duration alone in crate ranges from 6 hours (1 day per week) to 2-4 hours the rest of the days.  

My answer would be none as there is no evidence that it does anything. ;) However, there is evidence that Zylkene and Composure Pro can help to reduce anxiety. Both are OTC, but they're generally sold through vets, or that's how you'll find the best price at least. I would recommend trying one of those, and a DAP diffuser (cheapest through Amazon).

FYI, there is a Swanson's supplement that had what Zylkene has, but the amount is different so you can't get the same exact dosage. Which is fine because you can give a little extra without it doing any harm. I know for groups cost can be an issue do if they're hesitant to use the Zylkene because of cost, check out Swanson's Anti-stress formula and use the dose recommendation from the Zylkene to get as close to the suggested amount as possible.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks Neylasmom.  I have not heard of these supplements, so will do some investigating.  I don't think our girl is experiencing full blown anxiety.  We have had a few come through our house that appeared to be in a lot more distress when left alone.  But I want to head off or forestall it going in that direction, in case it might.

Ditto what NeylasMom said about Zylkene and Composure Max. I use the liquid version of Composure Max as an appetite stimulant and for thunderstorm issues. Good for separation anxiety but not something that will last all day. I ordered that and the Zylkene from chewy.

Rescue Remedy had zero effect here. If you check the label I think it still contains alcohol.

If you're going the essential oil route, only use the blends developed by Dr Shelton, DVM. I don't trust any other company for purity.
https://www.animaleo.info/
The Ready To Use blend to pet on: https://www.animaleo.info/calm-a-mile-rtu.html
The diffusing blend to add to distilled water: https://www.animaleo.info/calm-a-mile-neat.html

Dr Shelton's products are cat safe:
https://www.animaleo.info/cats.html

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Bach does make an alcohol free pet version....but good grief.  If you're giving something less than1/16th of a teaspoon how can there be enough alcohol to do harm?  Rex my winehound probably got more than that when he'd steal a few laps of unattended wine on the coffee table.  

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Not drops - but DROPPERS full?

Yes. Years ago I was using up to 3 droppers full every few hours. That's why I later switched to the products I posted above.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

3 hours ago, smt said:

After price checking and review reading, I ordered some Composure Treats.  Can't hurt and are way less expensive than Zylkene.  Will do a little controlled experiment to see which, if any, helps ~ Composure or BRR.

Just a heads up that Composure has a different formula than Composure Pro. Imo doesn't really have enough of the ingredients at the recommended dose to do much, but you can safely give more. Since you ordered, try it and if you think it's helping a little, but not enough, consider giving more or getting the Pro. There's also Solliquil, which is similar, but I believe also tends to be pricey. FYI, Composure contains L-theanine, which you can buy separately for very cheap. To give you an idea of why I saw there's too little in that supplement, my 40 lb dog started with 50 mg twice/day and now takes 100 mg 2x/day.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If you still think about Bach's flowers skip the rescue remedy and add walnut to her drinking water. Walnut is the remedy for changes in life. Rescue is not the answer to everything. 😉 

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

6 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

Just a heads up that Composure has a different formula than Composure Pro. Imo doesn't really have enough of the ingredients at the recommended dose to do much, but you can safely give more. Since you ordered, try it and if you think it's helping a little, but not enough, consider giving more or getting the Pro. There's also Solliquil, which is similar, but I believe also tends to be pricey. FYI, Composure contains L-theanine, which you can buy separately for very cheap. To give you an idea of why I saw there's too little in that supplement, my 40 lb dog started with 50 mg twice/day and now takes 100 mg 2x/day.

Well s**t, I ordered the regular Composure.  Glad it's not too expensive.  I will look at the conversion to see how many to try her with to equal the dose she would be getting with the Pro version.

Update on the BRR experiment; it may have been coincidental, but I gave her 2 droppers of the BRR 30 minutes before I departed today.  I crated her about 15 minutes prior to departure, and I heard 2 barks as I was preparing to leave.  Once out of the house, I waited around another 5 or so minutes to see if she would tune up.  Not a peep.  That is the quietest, least amount to barking drama we have had in a week.  It may be that she is just finally settling in, or beginning to accept the crate, or it may be bc the tincture actually helped.  Whatever it was, I was very pleased.  I retired the camera yesterday because it was stressing me out too much to watch her cycling through her barking fits, so I have no idea if she remained calm for the 3.5 hour duration of being alone.  She was calm when my partner got home (which is the norm).  

As an aside, we were told when we picked her up that she was a "crate bolter", which we found to be accurate.  I started practicing the "its your choice" technique that Krissy on the forum shared in another thread.  Little girl picked it up by the second practice session, and now stays in "down" position until she is released to exit the crate.  Pretty impressive!

I know the feeling with the video. Both of my girls have had SA and it's so hard to watch. I would keep the camera going and just check in once and a while just so you have an idea.

Regarding the Composure vs Pro, don't stress too much. The main difference is the Pro has an extra ingredient. Otherwise, dosages are similar. Just be aware you can double or triple the dose.

1 minute ago, NeylasMom said:

I know the feeling with the video. Both of my girls have had SA and it's so hard to watch. I would keep the camera going and just check in once and a while just so you have an idea.

Regarding the Composure vs Pro, don't stress too much. The main difference is the Pro has an extra ingredient. Otherwise, dosages are similar. Just be aware you can double or triple the dose.

The camera becomes the bane of my existence.  I wish I could have enough self-discipline to only check it once in awhile. Instead, I find myself watching it at every opportunity, and I find that my anxiety spikes when the pup's tune up.  My foster rep reassured me that as long as she is not soiling or destructive in the crate, to not overthink it or worry too much; that it is not unusual at all for them to go trough a period of adjustment in which they bark and whine when left alone.  My other 2 SA girls this year peed, dug, shredded, and howled in the crate.  Our current foster is no where near that.  And I want to keep it that way:)

I have used Bach's Rescue Remedy for several years and have found it to be highly effective as have some holistic vets.  One of the great things about it is that it is very safe! You can't really give too much and unlike homeopathics there is no threat of 'proving' a remedy either because it is a different kind of energy healing.  The dose most often recommended is 4 drops once or twice a day or whenever needed and that is what I have used for all my dogs.  If it is a serious situation like from an unexpected startle I may double or triple the dose.  I had one hound that was so spooky he got it twice a day for 2 years! but the day came he settled down and became calm and confident and didn't need it anymore unless something really unusual happened. Be advised you must use the specific and patented BACH's Rescue Remedy and not one of the cheaper clones.  Also if you want you can use the bottle you purchase to make a whole lot more which is what I do because it saves a lot of money.  I don't remember the exact recipe because I am not at home to look it up but basically you just add a couple drops, like 8 would be plenty, of the RR to a 1oz bottle of spring(not tap or distilled) water that has had a tablespoon of a preservative added ( I use ethanol but some people use vinegar).  Sounds to me like you are doing everything perfect. I am betting she will settle down.

51 minutes ago, racindog said:

I am betting she will settle down.

Well if she does, it will be apropos . . . because her name is Bette:)

I will be curios to see if she does as well today.  I will follow the same regiment - potty, dose, wait 15 minutes, crate with a frozen kong, wait another 15 minutes and leave.

And thanks for the tip to make it more economical.  

Day 2 with the BRR experiment went well, too.  Minimal barking when she went in the crate (like maybe 10 seconds), and no barking at all after that when I listened for 10 minutes outside of the house.  Again, maybe it is coincidental, but I will take it.