Durable Bed That's Not Noisy?

Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post. My fiance and I have had our greyhound Minerva for about a year now, and we just moved into a new house. We were in an apartment before, and we couldn't fit her bed in our room, so she slept in the living room and had gotten used to it. We have room in the house, so we keep her bed in our room so she can stay with us. She definitely seems to prefer being in our room.

However, she is a major digger/nester. She destroyed her old bed, so we got a new one that's made out of a more durable, canvas-like material. Every two hours, in the middle of the night, she'll dig vigorously for about 5 minutes. We feel a little bad telling her to stop and lay down since we know it's just an instinct she has, but it's getting pretty unbearable.

Suggestions on either a bed or a training suggestion to get her to stop digging/nesting would be most helpful. Thanks so much!

My Lola is a furious nester and it's crazy-making when it happens at 2 in the morning! I used a spray bottle with water, giving her a quick squirt along with the command "enough!" as soon as she would start digging. She still nests but stops immediately when I tell her 'enough!'.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

They're not cheap, but the Bessie and Barnie bagel beds are offered in a plush, washable fabric that can withstand vigorous nesting. They do flatten out with time, but Sweep still loves hers after several years.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

It might also help to put an old quilt or blanket on the bed (Goodwill is a good source) and let her "nest" that. It will fulfill her instinct to nest, but is a lot quieter. First hand experience :lol

:nod

Nigel not only digs, he is also makes a gazillion circles before he finally 'gets it right'.

There are many old blankets on all of our beds and they do help lesson the digging.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Peggy is a nester too. But if I drape a blanket over her she stays quiet much longer. Your Minerva may be getting cold or may even have uncomfortable joints or a sore digestive system preventing peaceful sleep?

Look for something with a warrantee. Have you thought about the kundra beds? Many rescue groups had them. My friend who has Afghan has some that are 20 years old! They have quite a few different materials. The web site is informative. Or the perla plastic beds and a quilt? Galgo rescue uses them.

Another vote for an old quilt. Firm foam bed + old thick quilt = sleep

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

here they are, now that i am at the computer https://kuranda.com/dog-beds/standard-dog-bed

all of my dogs love them and they are great in and outdoors

amazon and other sites carry the pearls https://www.cherrybrook.com/perla-bed-purple-base/ and there are sherpa washable covers. with a quilt- or a couple of polar fleece blankets your pup should be happy.

Our girl was doing this too -- she had a lovely new bed that was much more plush than her old one, but when she dug at it to nest (which happened a few times a night), it would wake us up... there is not enough coffee in the world for that to be a sustainable way of life! After a few days, we put an old fluffy comforter on top of the bed, and she "nests" into that. Her bed might be more comfortable than ours. But, now we get our sleep, and she gets to feel cozy and safe in her bed.

Thank you all for all your suggestions! We tried the old quilt on her bed, but the first thing she does is brush it off. It really seems like she just needs to get to the filling of the bed. We're going to try looking for a fitted, softer cover that is hopefully more quiet. We'll also take a look at the Kuranda beds. Thanks!