Walking Dogs With A Walker (The Other Kind Of Walker)

I've been having back problems and have been using a rolling walker to get around both inside and outside the last month. I hope it will only be for a short time longer.

The dogs have been angels, pretty much.* I am especially grateful that they know to ignore my food plates that I transport by putting on the walker seat. They are certified therapy dogs and were habituated to medical equipment years ago. They never pull on leash. My main problem has come up the last few weekends, as we've gone on short outings. We are all confused about the best way for 1 human and 2 leashed dogs to walk with a rolling walker.

They stay on my left side, which is good except for having their leashes get continually caught on several knobs. They are uncertain of my pace, and we have some jerky starts and stops. I haven't run over any toes yet, but I've had to bump a couple of tuchises fairly often to get them to move. I only take them to flat, clear areas with lots of people around in case I need help, but even this was a problem when Jeter went behind me to get to a petting stranger and pinned my legs against the walker with his leash.

Anybody got any suggestions to make things less frustrating?

*Exception: Jeter carrying out one of my sneakers through the dog door into the back yard for a toss-in-the-air celebration. I was too embarrased to ask someone to go out and get it, so had to wait about 10 days for Jeter to gradually bring it back into a seeable and retrieveable area.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I wonder if waist leashes would help? They would at least free your hands a bit. Of course, that wouldn't solve the problem of dogs wrapping you & the walker up in the leashes. Another thought is to fasten each leash to the front bar of the walker--again to free your hands. That also might help with the tangling. I'm about to have my second hip replacement and I have to admit, I've been too chicken to try walking dogs with a walker. I have enough trouble managing them while carrying a cane. I hope you'll be feeling better very soon.

I'll also be watching this thread for the wisdom of others.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

How about one of those attachments for bicycles? There's all different styles. Here's a quick google: https://www.ebay.com/i/282939165403?chn=ps

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Can you have one dog on each side of you, with shorter leashes to keep them close? They may not get the full sniff/peemail jaunts they are used to but we say that a short walk is better than no walk at all. They can get used to it. :)

Hope you are feeling better asap!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The short leashes idea feels like a good idea -- less tangling on knobs and around dog legs. I will experiment.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

The European style leashes have extra rings and clips. They might be your answer. Also k9 NOZ makes great biothane leashes.they are very durable, great grip and comfortable. The owner Bud is very accommodating. He might help you by constructing a leash with an extra clip on the handle, extra ring as well and a ring on the 4ft or 5 ft lead.

My father used a 3 wheel walker with hand brakes. He loved the maneuverability of it. They are light weight and have a good carry bag accessory. You'll be zipping around in style!

Do feel better soon.

Edited by cleptogrey

How would I train the dogs to walk in front instead of on the left side? Guide them with the leashes till they are in front, say the command word (something like "front"), and then praise and reward?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, how about training them to walk behind and follow you? In front is generally for puller your boys are too well mannered. Try working with one at a time to see who can do what. For behind it would be a treat in hand held behind you and say follow. Try it in the house. Do I smell lots of fun quality time for the boys?

How would I train the dogs to walk in front instead of on the left side? Guide them with the leashes till they are in front, say the command word (something like "front"), and then praise and reward?

I'd be afraid of running them over if they were in front. My guys stop all the time for what seems like no apparent reason.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Shorter leashes clipped to an over the shoulder or waist belt with one dog on each side of walker.

:dunno

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

i walked my saluki right next to the stroller or pram for who knows how long. i schlepped my kid & saluki around everywhere and since DD was such a good napper that i went thru 2 strollers. people always made room for us on crowded sidewalks. your a patient person, just say excuse me and wait. cheap cotton webbed training leads can easily be tied to the walker. they will be easier to hold on to while you motor around.

it does sound like trial and error to find out what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrea -- you should have let me know and stopped by! The dogs are dying of boredom and would have been so excited to see you. And I could have shown off my framed copy of Joe's greyhound patterns print.

I had a relapse weekend before last. Things have slowly gotten back to the new normal but I haven't taken the dogs out for two weekends. Appointment with neurosurgeon looms. :( I do already have a waist leash, and have been pondering possibilities.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

I do already have a waist leash, and have been pondering possibilities.

You probably already know, but am adding this just because of the term "waist leash". Put the leash at hip, not waist level. You will put more stress on your back if you use it at waist level. For some folks, like myself. an over the shoulder leash works better than hip/waist leash. I think we are the minority. Hips work better for most. It is all down to personal preference and needs. Many multi-leads can be adjusted for use either way.