Following Around The House Question

Hi guys,

Is it normal for your hound to follow you into every room you go?

I know that he spends most of his time in the front room when im at work playing with toys and napping in the sun (i set up a spy cam).

However when i get home from work, he will just stay by my side - even when he wants to go to bed, he would rather moan that he wants to go to bed, but yet he wont unless i go aswel.

He also wont take himself away from the room i am in to play (unless i walk into the other room and start him off) then if i move again he will drop his toys and follow me.

Is this normal? Can i teach him to be more independent? Dont get me wrong i dont mind him following me around but i would like him to have the confidence to do whatever he likes rather than do what i am doing.

I think this makes sense (apologises if it doesn't)

Edited by Gilly91

24cw9z8.png

Sounds pretty normal to me!

How long have you had him?

As he gets more and more comfortable in your home and with your routine he may allow you to be farther away from,him for longer periods .... but don't count on it.

The only one we've had that will occasionally choose to be in another room is Ruby. She has always been an independent girlie.

I don't think it has a lot to do with 'confidence' ..... they just really want to be with their pack.

:)

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Perfectly normal behavior. Lola follows me everywhere as did my first Greyhound, Wendy. After being home almost 2 years, she has only recently begun to stay in the bedroom in the evening while we watch TV in the living room.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Normal. It should lessen as he becomes more comfortable.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:lol I'm almost never alone walking through the house. All day long I'm telling the dogs to "LET ME WALK", otherwise I'm tripping over them. I've had Kyle for almost 10 years now and he still follows me all over, or lays down close enough to be able to see me.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Mom?

Mom?

Mom?

We know you're in there.....

52685575_10217825911340366_1764504682685

52397752_10217825911540371_4750243007721

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

100% normal. IMHO it will decrease over time. Meaning, when the dog is not under your feet, he will lie down and keep a line of sight to wherever you are. Then, that too may decrease. But it may be years.

In the meantime, you can set boundaries. When I had 3 greys in the house, 2 of my own and a foster, my 2 resurrected the habit of being underfoot constantly, along with the foster. SO - I had 3 greys at my heels in a very small house. I tolerated mostly, for the foster's sake, but then I started closing doors. I decided I could go to the bathroom without an audience. Also "back,back,back", which was basically me saying that and flapping my hands, and the 3 of them backing up so I could get out of a room. Also "watch your feet" became code for "move or I'm going to step on you". Not true "training" but you can do little things to get some space, but you're pretty early on, so just accept it for now.

It's not a reflection that your dog isn't ok, it's just something they do for a while. The fact that he's fine when you're gone means he's doing really well. It's a quirky grey thing. They don't call them "Velcro Dogs" for nuthin! LOL.