Calming Aids For Hyper Puppy When Traveling

Monahnsto

Ok so we went camping last weekend. We took three boys and left Jake with the sitter. Phinny was hyper, excited and easily bored. It rained and was cold so we did not get out as much as planned. The KOA we stayed at (only place left over the holiday weekend) was packed with people and lots of dogs. The campsites were very close. Phinny barked at all the dogs, kept wanting to run out the camper door, he was pretty good, but it was not the relaxing weekend that we thought it would be. Of course he is a like a baby that needs constant attention. Unlike the older boys who are just happy to lay outside and enjoy the nice lazy day.
We are planning to go again this weekend. I must say I am not looking as forward to it as I usually do. My thoughts are to take him to playcare this afternoon for five hours, and all day 8 hour play on Thursday and then half day on Friday. The ride to the campground is about 2 hours. He is fine in the truck. I wanted to get some calming aid such as rescue remedy to have in case he gets out of control. I have used that for my cat when we moved and traveled by car for three 8 hour days and hotels. He was about to get dropped off the side of the road 60 miles from home when I stopped at a petstore and bought it. He was calm and mellow the rest of the trip. I don't want Phinny to be knocked out but a little calmer and less of a monster would be nice. any thoughts?

Edited by Monahnsto

Rescue Remedy did nothing for my dogs. Richards Organic Pet Calm was somewhat better.

ComposureMax liquid was the best for helping Mazy chilling out during storms. I got it at Chewy. You may be able to find the chewable treats at Petsmart.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

IMO, daycare makes hyper dogs even more hyper. It's not calming ...

I know people need to have some solutions to work off the energy that puppies have but, daycare promotes even more of that unruly energy which makes the dog even more "chaotic" and more likely to want to engage with other dogs he sees. It's a matter of promoting the behavior that you want to have ...

Do you take him for long walks to work off the energy?

It sounds like a bad weekend with lousy weather. Do not drug your dog! WORK WITH HIM!!!walks, hikes, meeting people, bring a crate if necessary unless he is o.k. in an x-pen. But it's focused exercise and training that will help him become a good canine citizen. If you had an unruly child would you get them out to play or give them meds? I too agree that doggie day care is not great. Walks, bike rides, hikes, catch- YES.

And yes I raised a GH from 7 weeks of age, camped, long road trips, and everything you can possibly imagine. It's work, just like having a kid.

Edited by cleptogrey

In this case, I would suggest only going if you know the weather will be fair enough to allow you to tire him out being active outside. Calming remedies are for reducing stress and anxiety, not an alternative to providing the mental and physical stimulation your dog needs. Food puzzles, treat dispensing toys, and frozen stuffed Kongs or Toppls are excellent ways to tire dogs out too, even if the weather is poor, and they're easy to pack. There's a Facebook group called Canine Enrichment you may want to join that has tons of ideas for creative (and often inexpensive) ways to tire out your dog mentally:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canineenrichment/

If you're missing that component and only focusing on the physical, you're facing an uphill battle.

I do think doing the play groups beforehand are a good idea too. If you are leaving Friday I might skip that one, but if he enjoys being there a full day Thursday makes good sense. Generally I think 2-3 days per week, mostly non consecutive is ideal for dogs who enjoy doggie daycare (fwiw, I'm a professional trainer and work at a facility that has daycare so I'm basing my opinion on my experiences there).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oy.

You don't drug your dog for your own convenience.

If the weather isn't good enough for you to get him his exercise at the campground, and you simply *have* to go camping, it might be better to leave him at home with a sitter or board him somewhere where they will take good care of him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

NeylasMom, thanks for the FB link!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

it takes constant work to get them to not bark like crazy at everything and everyone. Our puppy started barking like a maniac around 6 months and we couldn't stand it. I got her a bark collar that emits a high pitched noise when she barks, and she learned it in 2 barks. Now all I have to do is ask her is she wants her bark collar, and she stops. She is allowed to bark when the door bell rings, and that is it. "No Bark" is heard at our house less and less now, and I use the collar about 5 minutes every 6 months or so if she starts ramping up. Nothing worse than a dog who won't stop.

We also give her lots of exercise, lots of praise when she is not barking. My nightmare was a Poodle mix who non stop barked. She LOVES to go camping and is a happy girl, loves to meet new people and dogs, and enjoys being outdoors. It is hard when it rains, so I always bring along a couple of puzzle games for her to use in those instances.

Good luck

Karen

• 3 weeks later...