Not Eating, But Trying To Eat Non Food Items

Daks

First off, Dakar has hookworms, and we are starting the Prison protocol but are waiting for the drontal plus to arrive.

Starting last night he has been very restless, pacing, whining. His stomach is gurgling and is extremely gassy and hasn't probably slept consecutively for more than an hour. Now he is refusing food, but trying to eat other non food items (grass, bits of twig, bits of fuzz off the couch/floor). I'm not sure what to do at this point- try fasting? a bland diet, if so what? Rice? Oatmeal? vet visit in the morning?

Other than that, there's no vomiting and his poop is soft but not liquid. I know he's uncomfortable but I don't know how to help him.

It's called "pica" (I think), and he's trying to sooth his stomach. Probably related to the hooks.

If you can get him to eat anything that's actually food it will help. Then try and make sure he always has a little something on his stomach, especially throughout his treatment.

Pasta, oatmeal, overcooked rice, non-seedy bread (like plain white bread) soaked in broth, and low- or non-fat protein (boiled ground meats, or pan fried and rinsed ground meats, chicken breast prepared at home) are all good choices.

If he starts vomiting and/or has any blood in either vomit or stool, get him in to the vet asap.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It's called "pica" (I think), and he's trying to sooth his stomach. Probably related to the hooks.

If you can get him to eat anything that's actually food it will help. Then try and make sure he always has a little something on his stomach, especially throughout his treatment.

Pasta, oatmeal, overcooked rice, non-seedy bread (like plain white bread) soaked in broth, and low- or non-fat protein (boiled ground meats, or pan fried and rinsed ground meats, chicken breast prepared at home) are all good choices.

If he starts vomiting and/or has any blood in either vomit or stool, get him in to the vet asap.

I'll try cooking some rice, oatmeal and boiled chicken for tonight and see if anything is appealing to him, then give my vet a call in the morning. This has happened once before (the gurgling) and it calmed down after food, but no dice today, and the gas is terrible. I know he's uncomfortable, but I don't know how to help him.

Do you have any Gas-X? That may relieve some discomfort. Just make sure there's no xylitol in it. And definitely check with your vet in the morning or emergency vet if things get worse tonight.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Do you have any Gas-X? That may relieve some discomfort. Just make sure there's no xylitol in it. And definitely check with your vet in the morning or emergency vet if things get worse tonight.

No, I have pecid, but haven't given any as I'd rather talk to the vet first. He had a little bit of rice with some yogurt mixed in (its his favorite food), and the gurgling has subsided a bit, still a little bit restless. We'll probably try to give small meals throughout the night, as I'm sure none of us will be sleeping anyways.

Chicken or turkey baby food in the small glass jar was the trick to get my grey to start eating her other food while dealing with hooks. I had to make sure to give her 3 small meals a day and still do. My greys vet recommended a Pepcid or something similar during the gurgling stomach moments. Trying to prevent the stomach noises with making sure there was less time between feedings worked as well as being persistent with offering the tastiest food.

Seeing them be in such discomfort is tough. Hoping you get the Drontal you ordered soon!

If you have any human Ranitidine, Zantac, you can give the dog a regular size human tablet without any problems. You may need to put it in a tiny bit of cheese or peanut butter. Essentially you're dealing with Gastritis, but will also need to rule out Pancreatitis if the dog has eaten a lot of fatty food recently.

I had to take my dog to the E vet 20 miles away at 3am a couple of years ago because of extreme pain from an inflamed stomach lining. They sorted the pain out and referred my dog back to my vet for 8.30am where they put her on a drip etc for the day until I had her back in the evening.

That gurgling is gastritis from the hooks. Give one Beano or Gas X; might help. Do consult the vet, though.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Well the gurgling and gas has lessened significantly, but he is still uninterested in food and is obviously still feeling unwell. I'll call my vet when they open and see if they want me to bring him in.

please get him in. Something is not right. Hope he is ok :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Well, we went and saw the vet and got a course of metronidazole. Still positive for hooks (no surprise there). I've made him some boiled chicken and oatmeal and he's eating again. Seems to be feeling a little better, just a bit lethargic. The drontal plus arrives on Friday so hopefully it will knock back the hookworms and his gut can start to heal.