New Grey Not Pooping 48 Hours

We just got our Greyhound sweetie on Saturday. Shes 5 years old and a retired racer. She hasnt pooped since Saturday evening at about 7PM, it is Monday evening 10PM now. She has peed regularly outside on a leash but hasnt pooped.

We have tried with her coat on, with it off. We have tried taking her with our other dog and taking her alone. We take her about every 2-3 hours like our other dog. We have tried taking her on a few walks to push it out.

Shes drinking normal amount of water, acting normally and even ate nearly all her food today.

Pretty good for day 3 but worried about the no poop thing!

She is in heat but I thought she may have the opposite effect.

When should I contact a vet?? Any suggestions?

This isn't unusual for a new hound in a home. BTDT. It's been a while but we used to get similar posts here all the time. She will go when she's ready, probably in the next 24 hours or so. As long as she's drinking and not dehydrated, no need to worry yet.

You might try giving her a little more space if possible, maybe making sure you can securely hold the leash while giving her as much room as possible and turning your back, or maybe let her go behind a bush if she wants. She is most likely not used to going while on a leash.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

This isn't unusual for a new hound in a home. BTDT. It's been a while but we used to get similar posts here all the time. She will go when she's ready, probably in the next 24 hours or so. As long as she's drinking and not dehydrated, no need to worry yet.

You might try giving her a little more space if possible, maybe making sure you can securely hold the leash while giving her as much room as possible and turning your back, or maybe let her go behind a bush if she wants. She is most likely not used to going while on a leash.

I agree, she will go when she's ready. Greyhounds are able to hold on longer than other breeds of dogs, just keep giving her the opportunity to go but don't pressurise her.

Grace every now and again will go for 24 hours without pooping.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

One of mine outwaited a huge multi-day rain deluge of 5 days before she pooped. :rolleyes: Its not optimal, but unless they stop eating and drinking, start vomiting, or other signs of distress indicating a blockage, you can usually wait on the vet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It might not be an option for you, but she might go if she's not on a leash (i.e in the yard on her own). Kasey took FUREVER to learn to poop on a leash and would only go in the yard. Super frustrating. And he always had to poop in the same type of space (right near the edge of the pavement....could be miles of grass but had to poop literally at the very end of the grass - often missing and it hitting the sidewalk!) Some are also really shy/dignified and prefer to be more concealed to do their business. Even turning your back when she goes might help (or near/behind bushes), as well as Mary Jane's suggestions. Also, I find they need a good walk to just get things moving. A 20 min walk around the neighbourhood might just get things going.

Just thought I'd add that even though she thankfully has finally done a 2 (not unusual, not healthy per say, but not unusual. She's had lots of recent changes.)

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015