Greyhound People

Im a first time greyhound owner with a rescue who Ive had now for nearly 2 years. He was taken into rescue after 3 years with a family but weve no history of that.

Hes definitely not what youd describe as a love bug, a description Ive heard a lot. Its taken me a long time to get him to let me touch his feet, ears and teeth (for brushing) and hes comfortable with me doing that now.

What Im really interested in is other greyhound owners and how they greet my boy. Every single one, either out and about or if coming to my home will straight away be in his face, both hands either side of his head, rubbing his ears and every time he growls and they recoil.

Ive had dogs all my life, first greyhound as I say and hes definitely got his fair share of issues but I never approach any dog that doesnt know me like these other greyhound owners approach my dog. Theres never a slow approach, maybe show the back of the hand and allow the dog to sniff and be comfortable etc

Im just really interested to know if Ive got a really unusual boy who doesnt like strangers cupping his head within seconds of meeting or whether most of you, as experienced greyhound owners would immediately greet an unknown greyhound like this?

Peggy (11) still won't allow kids under about 14 to do that. Maybe its because of their jerky and enthusiastic movements. Even with adults she works out if they are 'dog people' or not. No greyhound owners I have contact with would ever approach a strange dog in the way you describe.

Search out online and share a diagram of canine body language.

eg: https://www.animalwised.com/dog-body-language-and-calming-signals-1426.html

OH..sorry your dealing with rude owners!

As they approach perhaps you could let them know that he is wary of strangers and doesn't like his head touched and maybe they'll just give his back a gentle stroke instead of being in his face.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh they arent rude people,all lovely people, Im just surprised how they go straight into the head & ear area assuming all greyhounds love it.

I have started warning people now, hes only ever growled as a warning and thats always stopped any further head touching but Ill definitely ensure I warn well in advance.

I had a dog who was fine being petted when he had a more outgoing sister to check people out first, but when she died, he began growling at some strangers petting him. At first I would warn people, "He doesn't like strangers." Then went to a behaviorist, who advised me to confidently tell the dog it was ok, and to tell him to step up to the person and get petted. I was kind of assuming the role his sister had played. "It's cool."

My current two dogs are bomb proof, but it drives me a little nuts when people start petting them without asking first. It doesn't happen often, but usually when I'm distracted and don't see it until they're shoving their hands and faces into my dogs' space. I gently remind them it's not a good idea.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I think most greyhounds are used to people and don't have a problem with strangers coming up and start petting on them, so the other greyhound owners may think your dog is "typical" Never the less, no one should come up to a strange dog and start rubbing their head/ears! There are plenty of greys out there, like yours, who do not particularly like being handled by strangers. Good luck in educating the people :rolleyes:

Greyhound owners often have a sense of complacency because most of them haven't had a dog with the quirks you mention. There are many of these hounds who will let you do literally anything with them.

Our Rocket had certain quirks, mostly involving not wanting to be petted when he was laying down and as he got older, not wanting to be rubbed on his shoulders because they were sometimes sore. We had a rule about only petting him when he was standing and that worked well, but as we would meet neighbors on our walks it was somewhat normal for them to want to give him a hug which he also did not like. I always had to ask them to just pet him on his head and ears and for a basic explanation would just tell them that he had some arthritis and was sore in other areas.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I know others who hated to have their ears touched. It’s good that you’re warning people.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Of the four greys I have had, two would have been highly insulted if any human didn't beeline for them and moosh them up. One grey had to greet everyone even if they showed no interest in her. On the other hand, one of my males greatly disliked strangers, and sometimes those he knew, touching any part of him. I used to sing the song 'Can't Touch This' to him :) My current girl only allows touching on her terms. She has always been shy and if someone comes toward her without her permission she backs away quickly.

I think you should just keep alert for a sneak attack by an unsuspecting person and warn them your grey doesn't take kindly to an invasion of his space. I, myself, never greet any dog as you describe, unless the dog has come to me showing they wanted to be pet. I would guess what you have experienced are greyhound owners that have been used to greys who really enjoy the human touch - there are many of those greys :).

Just wanted to add: We had a bandana made for Rocket that he would wear to public events that had the following embroidered on it: "Please ask before petting me." Not everyone read or heeded the message, but most did. There are also hi-viz collars and leashes available online that have things printed on them like, DO NOT PET, or I HAVE SPACE ISSUES, if you need something to help display a warning. You could do the same thing with a housecoat / jacket in cooler weather.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Im definitely considering a bandanna or something similar. Hes fine greeting people just not the head/ear stuff.

Thinking about my greyhound people heading I realise its probably the same with any breed, you join a sort of club and other members seek you out!

Ive just always had mongrels previously so its never been like this before.

Definitely a learning curve.

Im definitely considering a bandanna or something similar. Hes fine greeting people just not the head/ear stuff.

Thinking about my greyhound people heading I realise its probably the same with any breed, you join a sort of club and other members seek you out!

Ive just always had mongrels previously so its never been like this before.

Definitely a learning curve.

Although it seems to have faded away somewhat, it used to be an accepted practice at greyhound events that a dog wearing a red bandana had issues of some sort and that was an acceptable warning to others so that they didn't let their own hounds wander up to or get in the face of the other dog, and was also a warning not to pet the dog without checking with the owner. Unfortunately, this practice seems to be fading away at events, or at least isn't communicated as often, so isn't as well known any longer. Probably one of those things that needs to be reinforced so that we do have some kind of a standard warning that people will recognize.

I think just being vigilant and warning people should work for you. But I agree that some greyhound owners (and dog owners in general) can be very annoying by running up to strange dogs and petting them. I would *never* do that to a dog I didn't know and it continually astonished me how many people let their kids do it. They have no idea whether my dogs are friendly or would take their little kids hand off!

That being said :lol our first greyhound had terrible space issues when she was laying down. Like, she drew blood on both my husband and I (totally our fault not hers) before we wised up. But she was a completely different dog out in public. She would literally mug strangers walking down the street towards her for pets. Just step right in front of them and force them to stop. It was historical once I got over having to apologize for her all the time!

We have had shy dogs as well, and you just get used to protecting them. It can be a full time job as you've seen. I tried all sorts of bandanas and ribbons and coats, but people either don't bother to read them, or think the warning applies to everyone but them! :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Things can change over time as well, or maybe you just discover something. I thought Val loved everyone. I mean, she gets excited when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door, thinks they have come to see her :lol But, I recently discovered that she doesn't like/is afraid of small children. Older kids are fine, but little ones she wants no part of. Who knew? She has been with me for three years.