Medical Or Behavioral?

Annette

Miriam will be 11 at the end of the month. We have had her 7 years and we tell people that she is a recovering spook. When she came to us as a foster she seemed to be just shy and we attributed that to just getting off the track and adjusting to the human world and suffering from "information overload". We had her for two weeks and then she was to go to her adoptive home but that fell through. Dixie immediately adopted her as a sister from the day she walked into the house as a foster so we couldn't send Miriam down to Milwaukee when the adoption fell through, and as they say: "the rest is history".

Once she realized that she wasn't going back to her old home she became extremely shy and spooked. The worst event was when it was in the low single digits and she was too afraid of us to come in the house. I think we were outside (fenced in yard) trying to coax her into the house for about 1/2 hour. Dixie couldn't even convince her to come inside. I was almost to the point of tears afraid that she would never come into the house and she would freeze to death. To this day I don't remember how we got her into the house. After that, we kept a 15 foot rope attached to her collar that she dragged around the yard so we could reel her in. We kept that rope attached to her collar outside for 2 winters and randomly for one summer before she wasn't afraid to come into the house. The vet techs at our veterinarian's office commented once to the new vet that was checking her over how much she changed over the years.

Medically she has copper storage disease which is under control. Her liver values were normal at her last blood draw in June. She doesn't need another blood test till December. It took more than 1 year for her liver values to get back into the normal range. Recently a urine test showed bacteria so we had her on antibiotics for 2 weeks. She had 3 peeing accidents in the apartment. She is on a homemade diet for her copper storage disease 95% of the time. The other 5% is when we feed her a prescription diet food.

Now that everyone has her "back story", on to what is making us worry.

Miriam has always been a whiner, but in the last few months she has really increased her whining to the point that we are unable to sleep. Our first thought always has been thinking that she needs to go out. Only on a couple of these occasions did she actually have to go outside. Her increased whining started several months ago, so I cannot imagine that it relates to antibiotics she was on for the last 2 weeks. We did give her pepcid to help settle her stomach because she doesn't do the best on antibiotics.

We don't know if it is her age as a cause for whining? Is it medical? If it is medical, what do we need to be checking her for? Is she getting doggy dementia as she ages and that is why she is whining?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Thank you

Annette, not sure what’s going on with your baby, but just wanted to say I hope you can figure this out. Will keep her/you in my prayers....

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

It can be canine dementia, my Lab would get restless at night in her old age. I think too her old eyes lost their night vision and she couldn't figure out where she was.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

If it's just at night, I'd try some night lights and see if it helps. That might also confirm a vision issue.

Also, as an experiment try a blanket at night or a light flannel housecoat like Houndtime sells. Could she be cold at night? Everything changes as they (and we) get older, so even here in the desert Rocket sometimes keeps a blanket on at night. We also had Allie who was 13 and absolutely loved it when you put the housecoat on her. It settled her right down many times when you couldn't figure out what was wrong. .

Good luck.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

At her age and with her issues, it could be either, but I would definitely ask her vet about canine dementia/ canine cognitive disfunction. There is a drug they can take if it is that, and sometimes an anti anxiety drug can help.

If it's behavioral you can check out the above suggestions. Also try feeding her a snack at bedtime - either part of or in addition to her regular meals. With her copper syndrome you should consult the vet about that as well. Sometimes a karge treat, like a big milkbone, works too.

Has anything else changed in her life recently such as moving furniture, losing a companion or friend (human or canine)?? Any changes at all. Sometimes some dogs just don't handle the dtress of change well and it impacts their behavior.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

it's always best to talk to your vet. i too have dealt w/ a dog w/ canine dementia with my welsh terrier. it started at night. went on to pacing, marking his bed every time he nested, not being able to get steady and comfortable during the day. he could no longer be crated nor contained in an area and he was never like this during his life.

one thing that my vet has found helpful w/ some animals is this: http://www.senilife.com. she said to us to try it, we were having strange responses w/ felix- pacing, whining, etc. from what i was told there should be a noticable change after 2 weeks. felix had gas, gas, and more gas and still moaned and groaned. it was figuring out the right pain meds and many feedings a day for him that did the trick. it might be worthwhile giving it a try or asking your vet about it, maybe yes? maybe no?

She does not seem to be in pain. If anything now that it is a bit cooler (in the low to mid 70's) she has more energy and occasionally does some doggy break dancing in the apartment. Miriam has never been the energetic type. She takes retirement very seriously, if she doesn't have to move, she won't.

Is she in pain?

Try all of the things - blanket (cold), feeding more (hungry), gotta go (potty), massage (aches and pains, attention) - rule some easy stuff out, and hopefully it will get more narrow. As you consider her a recovering spook, lean to supporting her emotionally, maybe something got unhinged? Journal your trials. Hugs!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

hi Annette -- first of all sending hugs to you and Miriam!!!

Whining can be the result of lots of things and pretty hard to figure out. I wasn't going to post this, but our Rainey became extremely whiney after her seizures started (which thankfully your Miriam doesn't have!) and her "brain thing" started at age 10. For her, I think she was just constantly insanely hungry for the most part, but she whined for hours on end - I thought I was going to pull my hair out :(. Because she was prone to pancreatitis, we couldn't give most regular treats and didn't want her to pack on the pounds, so (defrosted) frozen green beans became her bestest (and mine) favorite in-between meal snacks. I'd just defrost and squeeze out most of the water (by this point, she was peeing daily in the house so excess water was not out friend :() and say it was Greeny Beany Time and she would prance and inhale them. I would literally by 20 1# packages when they'd go on sale for like $.99 a bag and keep them frozen.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this since whining can be from anything, but for Rainey it was in fact from dementia or whatever was going on in her brain. I'm not trying to scare you, just sharing what was my experience -- I pray it's just Miriam wanting some extra pets from her sweet momma. :grouphug

you could try seeing if feeding low-calorie snacks might help.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway