Seresto Collar Only Good For 4 Months For Ticks?

Have used the Seresto collars for a couple of years with no problems (knock on wood) but am getting concerned about the warnings of a bad tick season here in NJ. I saved the container of the collar I put on in January and it says right on the front "8 months flea protection" but only "4 months tick protection." I hadn't realized the difference in effectiveness time. This came from Australia...I will have to check on the ones sold here.

The ones sold here (and produced) are 8 month tick prevention.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

We got ours from Chewy. I no longer have the package, but according to the one pictured on the website, they are good for 8 months for both fleas and ticks. This is our second year using them. No problems, even with living in a high infestation area.

https://www.chewy.com/seresto-8-month-flea-tick-prevention/dp/46498

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Strange. 8 months here. Though reduced if it gets wet repeatedly.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Felix is fine with the soresto collar. He has been wearing it since Jan. I don't want to hijack this but anyone know how whippets do with the collar

Whippets should be fine, unless he has an individual negative response.

thanks, starting to use it slowly. from what i was told by his breeders the whippets have not started using the collars yet. but between airing it out, every other day in the beginning hopefully he will be able to use it. WEGOTTICKS here in lower westchester county. dh has stopped fly fishing since every time he went he ended up on antibiotics, no matter what he has a tick lodged somewhere! i'm waiting for the spring hatch to subside, that and the fall- come and get a warm host seem to be the worst around here.

Got my answer...this per the Australian vendor...their collars have a different formulation for tick prevention from the ones sold here, apparently they have nastier and more deadly tick borne diseases. Now what I don't understand is why would the same collar offer 8 months flea protection and only 4 months tick? What do you do, make a choice between what to protect against and change it accordingly?

I don't understand, are you in the US? If so, why wouldn't you just use collars made in the US? Problem solved.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My greyhound adoption group gets their heartworm meds from Australia at significant savings. I continued to order from their source when I adopted Cooper who I had first fostered for a few months. She did well on whatever she had been getting, so I figured why change. Last time I needed heartworm meds, I also ordered a Seresto collar since that was also much less expensive and i was getting the HW anyway so the shipping was the same. Now, however, I will stick with US suppliers. I spoke with Bayer, the manufacturer, and was told each country had their own rules for regulating pesticides.

Mine last 8 months for ticks. I'm on my 4th year with them. Ticks can get on the dog but die before they can do any damage. They have to be fitted snug to work. Many people keep them too loose on the neck.

Felix is fine with the soresto collar. He has been wearing it since Jan. I don't want to hijack this but anyone know how whippets do with the collar

Anything Greyhounds can handle should be fine for most breeds (except certain things with MDR1 sensitive breeds), barring any individual responses.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I asked about this at my vet the other day. Not available in Canada!! He absolutely loves the product though so you guys are on the right track. Maybe next year one of you guys can buy two and ship one over to me!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Dupey00

What is the difference between the small and large seresto collars? My greys neck fits the small collar. Could I use that one vs the bigger size?

I think the difference is in the coverage of the animal. A smaller collar would work on a smaller dog if I'm not mistaken. Does the box recommend size of collar comparative to the size of animal?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 4 weeks later...

Whippets should be fine, unless he has an individual negative response.

FYI

well, he did have a negative response, loss of hair around the collar site. and the collar was loose, i could put 4 fingers in and easily slip it over his head. bayer said that is a reaction and i'm sending out my receipt for a full refund. the breeder did mention that other whippets have had the same reaction. it seems as if the whippet people do use a lower dose of frontline plus- i'm not thrilled especially since felix has been dealing w/ anaplasmosis and now lyme for a year now!