Hi Everyone!

Guest Lyndaschn

Guest Lyndaschn

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to say that I have just started the adoption process! I will be going to the foster home on Saturday to meet a few dogs! I will give you a little background on myself. I have only had Newfoundlands forever and have loved my time with them, but I something has drawn me to Greyhounds. They seem to be the same temperment as what I am used to with a lot less grooming! Lol! I have come to a time in my life where heading to an empty nest and I have the time to dedicate to helping a rescue dog acclimate to life. I don't want to start at the puppy stage and I have never rescued a dog so this will be my first rescue. I also really miss walking with my dog and going on trail hikes (my current Newf is 10 and feeling his age. He has a few medical issues one of which is that he can only walk about a block without it bothering his back). I have researched gh and have gone to meet and greets at local pet supply events, so I feel like I am ready. I am looking for a female because I think my dog will get along better with one.

What should I be looking for when I go to the rescue foster home on Saturday? Any specific questions I should be asking? I would appreciate any advice from you and look forward to starting my gh adventure!

:welcome2 How exciting! I bet you can't wait for Saturday to arrive. My advice, from personal experience, is let the dog choose you if you have several to choose from. Don't base your choice on gender or appearance. Consider your energy and personality and choose a dog who complements that. I am a very laid back, medium energy person. While I was very attracted to the very active, high energy hounds up for adoption - they look like fun! - I chose my Lola who was calm, super-friendly and more interested in cuddling up to me than leaping around. Perfect fit!

Ask the foster folks if they've noticed any aggression issues - space, sleep, resource guarding. Any separation anxiety? What brand food the dog been eating? Is the dog cat/small dog/child safe? How does the dog behave on lead? Any reactivity. pulling, etc.? Run your hands all over the dog . Check for lumps or tender areas. Check skin, eyes, teeth, paws (for corns or lacerations), ears. I know...I'm obsessive! :rolleyes:

Good luck and have fun! Keep us updated. :)

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Lyndaschn

LaFlaca, Thank you. I appreciate all your suggestions. I hadn't thought of a few of those. All good points. Can't wait to meet them!

Very exciting time for you! And your boy will be getting a sibling, which is wonderful. Keep us posted!

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

If at all possible, bring your current Newfie with you when you look at possible dogs. Sometimes dogs have very strong feelings about who they want to share their home with. Go with their choices if at all possible. I had a girl that hated every male grey I introduced her to, but loved low-energy females. I had my heart set on a lovely black boy, but Tia tried to bite him and made it very clear she did not want to live with him! Other times my dogs seem to have no strong opinions, so I've gone with my choices.

Guest Lyndaschn

I am planning on bringing my newf. I am a little concerned because he can be aloof around other dogs in his old age completely ignoring them (an aloof newf!)

Hopefully he will help me out.

If your pup is aloof and ignores the hounds, that too tells you something. At least he doesn't actively hate the other dogs (like my Tia). It will be fun to watch the greyhounds' reaction to him as they probably have never seen a big furry dog before! Some have only seen greyhounds and are shocked to realize that dogs come in other shapes!

Congratulations! And welcome to the wonderful cult, um, I mean world of greyhounds.

You will find greyhound people are there for you. If you lose your dog, we'll come out of the woodwork to help you find him. If there are issues we'll give advice, some unsolicited. :) And when they leave for the Bridge, we will mourn and weep with you.

What state are you in? There's probably a greyhound sitter near you. Or a large greyhound event. Or maybe just a walking group.

Guest Lyndaschn

Congratulations! And welcome to the wonderful cult, um, I mean world of greyhounds.

You will find greyhound people are there for you. If you lose your dog, we'll come out of the woodwork to help you find him. If there are issues we'll give advice, some unsolicited. :) And when they leave for the Bridge, we will mourn and weep with you.

What state are you in? There's probably a greyhound sitter near you. Or a large greyhound event. Or maybe just a walking group.

Thank you! I am excited to start my journey with these wonderful dogs. I live in Massachusetts near the Cape. I would love to find a walking group or anything greyhound. I know that the foster I am going through does activities in Middleboro. If anyone knows of any others please let me know!

Looking forward to reading about how your trip to the foster home went today.

Newfoundlands are such gorgeous dogs. Out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle fits a Newf and a grey?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Lyndaschn

Looking forward to reading about how your trip to the foster home went today.

Newfoundlands are such gorgeous dogs. Out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle fits a Newf and a grey?

I just got back from the rescue actually. I met two beautiful girls! The one I think will be the best fit is named "Pocket". She has been vet checked, spayed, up to date on her vaccines and chipped. She has a small scar on one of her back legs. She never raced because she doesn't have prey drive. She also doesn't jump, apparently, so they keep her in a bottom crate. She was calm around my dog. My dog was good with her. The typical sniffing, etc, but for the most part they stood next to each other ignoring each other. I walked them a little bit together, which was mostly me getting tangled in two leashes. She is multi colored. Very sweet. She had been adopted out, but was returned after only a week because they said "she cried all the time" So that either means that she has separation anxiety or the people they homed her out to don't realize a dog needs time to adjust. The home visit is next Sunday and if all goes well with that she will stay with us! I would love any suggestions for helping her to adjust. She will have a crate. I work at home so time alone will be only a couple hours a day at most and my Newf will always be here with her.

To answer your question about the vehicle, my dog somehow manages to fit in the back seat of my Ford with his butt on the seat and his head between the two front seats because he needs to be as close to me as possible without being in my lap! As far as room for both dogs, my husband drives an SUV type vehicle so shouldn't be a problem.

Congrats! I think scars add to their beauty. She sounds like a beautiful brindle.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Pocket sounds like a good possible fit with your Newf.

She has a small scar on one of her back legs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of that tissue-thin greyhound skin. They get cut by the tiniest things, especially when they're running.

My first grey was a "bounce" from another family, too, except she had been there for several years. She was miserable the first week. Crying, watching out the window, running to the door every time she heard a pickup truck. Best advice I got was not to sympathize with her, but to treat her like she was the bestest, luckiest dog in the world. And sure enough, that's what she started acting like. :)

It's not much different acclimating a new greyhound than any other dog, with the exception that she will still need to learn about being in a house instead of a kennel. I suggest keeping to your regular schedule. Let your Newfie show her the ropes. Don't force attention on her; let her come to you. Be ready for digestive upset from nervousness, even if you give her the same food she's on now. Try some "alone training" -- starting with maybe just half a minute at a time. And enjoy your new family member!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter