Best Food For Picky Eaters

What does everyone feed their greyhounds?? I recently adopted my first greyhound a few weeks ago...she came with Science Diet Senstive Stomach and Skin but she wont eat it😩 so Ive been offering what my other dogs have which is Taste Of The Wild -both wet and dry ...shes not crazy abkut that either ...i happened to have some Stella &Chewy Freeze Dried Raw Patties which is the only thing she seems to like ...but I feel like she needs some kibble and wet food in addition to the freeze dried raw...she sometimes eats the Stella & Chewy Raw Coated Kibble and sometimes Tiki dog but it seems hot or miss...

Is there any particular brands out their that greyhounds find irresistible?!?

No. Nothing that is generally better or worse for picky eaters - you find what works and use that.

Many people have had success with the Purina Sensitive Stomach formula, Iams kibble in the green bag, and various formulas of Kirkland/Coscto food.

The brands you named are all what I would consider "premium" foods, and that's fine if you can afford to feed a large dog with them. Stella and Chewy is great and convenient for raw eaters, but a dog the size of a greyhound would need to eat a lot of it (i think I was looking at something like 6-8 of those patties per meal, which was too expensive for us). But if she likes it, consider using it as only one meal or using it as a topper for kibble.

Something else to consider is that the high end foods are often too "hot" (too high a protein content) for greyhounds. Obviously, each dog is different, but most seem to do better on about 20-25% protein content, otherwise they get diarrhea, and/or or *very* gassy. Your experience may vary.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

So I bought a small bag of the Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Stomach and Skin lamb and some cans ...I offered her a small amount which she ate last night! We’ll see what today brings ....my concern is that shortly after she eats she wants to go and lay down...she also looks a bit sad to me as well...maybe I’m just being paranoid I’m gonna make an appointment for a checkup with the vet come Monday to be on the safe side.

Don't worry about the sad look. That's just the way they look.

Iker is very fussy. I feed him Acana puppy food. He really likes it and his coat looks great. BTW, he's somewhere around 9 years old.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Good news ...Abbie seems to really like the Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach ....shes been cleaning and licking her bowl clean and gets excited at meal time now! It was pretty unbelievable that after just one night of eating this how much attitude changed ...she seems more bright , energetic and happier, playing with her toys again ! I guess she really does need a sensitive stomach formula! Fingers crossed she stays liking this ! Only thing is that I know this food doesnt come highly rated on dog food advisor 😐 but its the only thing she really seems to like

Good news ...Abbie seems to really like the Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach ....shes been cleaning and licking her bowl clean and gets excited at meal time now! It was pretty unbelievable that after just one night of eating this how much attitude changed ...she seems more bright , energetic and happier, playing with her toys again ! I guess she really does need a sensitive stomach formula! Fingers crossed she stays liking this ! Only thing is that I know this food doesnt come highly rated on dog food advisor but its the only thing she really seems to like

i noticed better coat, more energy and more $$ in my pocket when i changed to it. don't go by the ratings, go by your dog's ratings. it do go on sale periodically which is always a positive bonus. the last bag i purchased was $10 off- 5 from the pet store & 5 from purina.

"Premium" dog food is mostly a scam, and many "rating" sites are actually paid for by different dog food manufacturers.. Feed your dog what they will eat, and what won't break your bank account.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If you change a dog's food every time she's slow to eat I can 100% guarantee you WILL end up with a picky eater.

Stop changing her food. She's a dog, not an exotic flower, and she won't die if she skips a meal or is slow at breakfast.

Every single greyhound professional I "know" through Facebook or other means says they've never met a picky eater--until the dogs are petted out. Meaning greyhounds eat what they're given, until they're sent to their homes, when they light up their big eyes and seem to know just who is vulnerable to them and who isn't. I've never had a picky eater. I'll play along for a day, but when it becomes clear they're being "picky," I put them on a schedule, give them 10 minutes to eat, and if they don't, I take it away and try again at the next meal.

Now that you found something she likes, for now, please stick with it. No harm in adding a tasty tid bit on top from time to time, but don't go nuts with it.

The amount of food is dictated not by the dog food bag, but by your dog's metabolism, amount of exercise, etc. I've had three male dogs in a row now, and neither of them at more than 2 cups a day (plus treats).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...

You will also find that it comes and goes. Sometimes they love their food and sometimes are on hunger strike. My grey gets very rumbly tummy if something upsets her like strange dog attack or uncomfortable situation, etc. We have settled on Costco/Kirkland chicken with some type of bribe/enticement like cheese or currently one spoonful of canned food (Iams Chicken Pate) with water all mixed together. New grey will go through a LONG period of adjustment to all things, food included. Every day is new sometimes. Be patient and just know it will all work out in the end.

Good news ...Abbie seems to really like the Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach ....shes been cleaning and licking her bowl clean and gets excited at meal time now! It was pretty unbelievable that after just one night of eating this how much attitude changed ...she seems more bright , energetic and happier, playing with her toys again ! I guess she really does need a sensitive stomach formula! Fingers crossed she stays liking this ! Only thing is that I know this food doesnt come highly rated on dog food advisor but its the only thing she really seems to like

• 1 month later...

Our boy goes on periodic hunger strikes (especially in the morning), and with the added bonus of having bilious vomiting syndrome, which means he tends to throw up when his stomach is empty. I imagine he probably just feels like crap so he doesn't want to eat, which makes him feel worse. Normally a little warm chicken broth mixed in does the trick and he'll at least take a few bites.

The only times I'm concerned with not eating is with this guy, since he'll throw up - or when it goes on longer than a meal or two and/or when they also refuse afternoon treats. Obviously you want them to like their food, but definitely don't switch too much or add too many crazy things in. I've been known to sprinkle a little cheese or add a spoonful of pumpkin if I'm trying to entice, but I add warm water every day anyway, so the chicken broth is an added treat and doesn't cause any stomach distress.

If you change a dog's food every time she's slow to eat I can 100% guarantee you WILL end up with a picky eater.

Stop changing her food. She's a dog, not an exotic flower, and she won't die if she skips a meal or is slow at breakfast.

:nod it's like the old saw that you don't find cat skeletons in trees. They will give in.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

meals/snacks a day of
a. Lean Protein- Chicken breast, turkey breast, chunk light tuna (less mercury than albacore), egg whites, whey , lean beef (round cuts are the leanest), cottage cheese
b. Healthy fats- Peanut Butter, Nuts, flax, fish oil, olive oil, dressings (without added sugar or hydrogenated oil), avocado, Promise butter spread, products with omegas
c. Unrefined carbs- Oats/oatmeal, whole grains (breads/cereals), wraps(low carb variety are normally very high in protein and fiber), sweet potatoes, beans, fruit (whole better than dried or juice) and LOTS of fibrous veggies (broc****, cauliflower, spinach)