Feeding Both Kibble And Raw?

My dogs eat Purina One lamb & rice kibble. Pricier kibble gives them diarrhea. They get apples, red peppers and green beans too.

Iggy Charlie likes to nibble (and fortunately not gulp) Mazy's poop if he beats me to it. (I have a scooper ready any time they are outside.)

I've tried Forbid, putting red pepper on the poop, and are currently adding Mercola's probiotic power to their meals.

I think Charlie's obsession is less behavioral and more a lacking in a nutrient. This boy could eat all.day.long.

Is anyone supplementing kibble with any of the freeze dried raw? Using Fresh Pet or Stella & Chewy's patties? I just can't afford to go totally raw, whether homemade or commercial.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My first two hounds did well on a raw/kibble mix. I fed the Nature's Instinct raw frozen and Kirkland Select kibble, with good results. Unfortunately, it got too pricey. Missy Pea was quite picky in her sunset years, but she loved FreshPet Select, which isn't raw but cooked and refrigerated. She ate it mixed with kibble, as well.

Edited to add: I haven't had issues with poop eating until now. Caught Missy Soul snacking in the back yard. Guess I need to buy a poop cup!

Edited by EddiesMom15

You! Out of the gene pool!

I can't address your question re: raw, but *supposedly* adding a bit of pineapple juice to Mazy's meals works better than Forbid and eliminates (<--- haha) the problem.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I tried 2 samples of CaniSource Grand Cru a couple months back. We tried Fish and Red Meat.

I wouldn't say Ryder who loves food was very thrilled with it, but it's apparently the best of both worlds. You can feed it dry, or you can soak it for 30 mins and it breaks up and you can mash it up on it's own or with something if you'd like. Super convenient for raw feeders that travel, because you don't have to worry about raw being refrigerated. If $$ matters though, I'm not sure dehydrated or freeze dried is more cost effective than raw.

Kasey was big on frozen poopsickles. GAROSS. The only thing that worked was just picking up poop before he had a chance to discover them. Forbid did nothing for us either, and I wasn't about to go outside to sprinkle cayenne pepper on the frozen treats either.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Switching to raw cured Fletcher’s poop eating, except when his tummy was upset, then he would go back to eating his poop if he could get away with it, but he had IBS. However, when I switched to a combo of kibble and raw for time and $ reasons he did not go back to his poop eating. If you can find Tucker’s raw frozen, they are cheaper than Stella and Chewy’s or Nature’s Variety and just as good quality.

there's some good freeze dried out there (Primal and Northwest Naturals) -- we use them to just supplement Zeke when he won't eat his kibble or raw and as treats. They are expensive but for an Iggy not as bad as a 75# boy :) ( we couldn't afford to feed Zeke just that!).

for raw, we use My Pet Carnivore -- it's fairly inexpensive and a good product. Also, I get Costco 88% ground beef ($3.15 # here) and their Butterball 93% ground turkey ($2.50? #) for Larry (he gets 90% kibble but I put in the raw as a "treat"). Zeke eats about 1/2 and 1/2 raw to kibble. Well, that's WHEN he eats... :(

ETA I only get the FINE GROUND stuff from MPC, the coarse ground just has way too big of bone pieces in there. For the Primal, the bag costs about $30 for a 14 oz package (the big one) and the instructions are 4 nuggets for 10#, 8 for 20# (not sure how big your Iggy is) and guessing there's about 30? nuggets in the bag. Obviously if you are feeding other stuff (like the hamburger/turkey) you'd feed less and the bag would last longer :)

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I feed our girls Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach (salmon) and I crumble about 4-6 pieces of Stella and Chewy's Tantalizing Turkey Meal Mixers on top. They LOVE it. I also give the meal mixers to them as treats as well.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I second the Canisource Fish, works well here without transition

We also love Honest kitchen which makes a kind of freeze dried flake that you rehydrate. It smells amazing. You can buy veggies only or whole meal which include turkey or chicken. We use both, depending on if I am supplementing their meal (raw feeding) or when away from home (whole meal)

I am not a fan of patties like stella and chewy's and the like. They look dry and don't seem to rehydrate well (maybe I am being impatient haha) However, the dogs like them. They do eat anything though 😅

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I feed our girls Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach (salmon) and I crumble about 4-6 pieces of Stella and Chewy's Tantalizing Turkey Meal Mixers on top. They LOVE it. I also give the meal mixers to them as treats as well.

I think I'll give those S&C Meal Mixers a try. Not for me, for the dogs. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png