My Grey Suddenly Refuses To Wear Coat Or Boots

Guest GenieBean

Guest GenieBean

We have had Genie for 6 months now and she has recently been very clear that she doesnt want to wear her coat or boots when going out. We live in MN and it regularly is only a few degrees, she refuses to poop unless she has been walked at least to the end of the block, no matter how hard we have tried to get her to do her business closer to the house. That means that we have to put on her boots and jacket to take her out. She used to be totally fine with the jacket (Slips over her head and velcros around the waist) and has been pretty good about boots (slip on and velcro), as good as you could expect. Within the last few weeks though she now puts up a fight to get her boots on to the point she will growl and snip at us. Just this week she now wont even let us get her jacket on, she again will growl and snip at us and go into her kennel and curl up refusing to come out. We know that she needs to go as when we do get her outside it is obvious she was holding it. She has never done this before and we have not changed her routine at all. Any help on how to get her cooperate or why she would have suddenly changed her behavior so much? We have tried give her treats for letting us touch her feet and play with them when she is laying around during the day. She seems to enjoy it if she isnt being strapped into her boots. We tried the musher wax for her feet but she snips at us when we try to apply that as well. I assume she just hates the cold but im not sure what to do about it.

What happens if you take her outside without the coat or boots?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GenieBean

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately we tried to take her out without boots and sometimes without jacket. Without her boots she cant make it past the driveway before she starts to pull hard in resistance to going further and if we can get her to continue she begins to limp and hold feet in the air to try to keep them out of the snow. It really wouldnt be a problem if she could go number 2 closer to the house but she refuses and will wake us up in the middle of the night or whine 20 minutes after we come in if she hasnt made it far enough to go, then we have to try to suit her up so she can make it to the end of the block and go. I have spent over 10 minutes pacing with her in the yard to try to have her go but she absolutely will not unless she makes it to the end of the block.

Have you tried disposable Pawz? I use "Purple" size. They work decently well on really cold days for Ryder. They are really easy to put on and might be less annoying for her to deal with. Which boots are you using?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I know it is hard, but, all I can say, "Who's the boss?" I have boots, but, they are probably too big for my girl. When we had the blizzard a week or so ago, I had to walk the dogs because they refused to poop in the very high snow in the back yard. It was very, very cold with the wind chill.

I took Shine out and she stopped and picked her foot up. I know her feet were cold. I just kept walking and she had to walk with me. I don't know if it was the initial shock of the cold, or what, but she got over it and we walked all the way down the block.

They like to poop on the grass, but there was no grass as everything was snow covered, so, they had to poop in the middle of the street, which they didn't want to do either. Eventually, they really, really had to make, so they did. Was it hard on them? Maybe. Was it hard on me? Definitely. I was never so cold that I can remember. Did they poop? Yes. Who's the boss? I am. Today.

Now, talk about getting them to eat in the morning. Another story. They are the boss. :nod

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Have you tried disposable Pawz? I use "Purple" size. They work decently well on really cold days for Ryder. They are really easy to put on and might be less annoying for her to deal with. Which boots are you using?

I was going to suggest these as well though at this point I will bet you have difficulty with any boots. The blue ones fit Violet, who is a 60 lb female.

You probably need to start a counter-conditioning program with both. When you don't have to take her out, slip her coat over her head (don't worry about fastening it or getting it on right, just slip it over) and immediately feed something VERY HIGH VALUE. I am talking meatball, liverwurst, etc. - something meaty she doesn't get at any other time. Feed a few pieces, then take the coat off. Do this a lot. Same with the boots. You may have to start with picking up a paw and feeding, then work toward actually putting the boot on. Doing this somewhere else in the house, not by the door, may help. Again, you're practicing this a lot when you don't have to leave them on and go out. I would probably in the meantime avoid putting them on her as much as possible when you do go out until you've changed her association. Perhaps shoveling a big circle in your grass that you can walk her on (almost like a race track) would be a decent alternative? No salt, snow or ice to make her feet miserable at least and you can walk until she goes? Also, big high value reward when she does go and then right back inside, don't force her to continue to stay out.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GenieBean

I know it is hard, but, all I can say, "Who's the boss?" I have boots, but, they are probably too big for my girl. When we had the blizzard a week or so ago, I had to walk the dogs because they refused to poop in the very high snow in the back yard. It was very, very cold with the wind chill.

I took Shine out and she stopped and picked her foot up. I know her feet were cold. I just kept walking and she had to walk with me. I don't know if it was the initial shock of the cold, or what, but she got over it and we walked all the way down the block.

They like to poop on the grass, but there was no grass as everything was snow covered, so, they had to poop in the middle of the street, which they didn't want to do either. Eventually, they really, really had to make, so they did. Was it hard on them? Maybe. Was it hard on me? Definitely. I was never so cold that I can remember. Did they poop? Yes. Who's the boss? I am. Today.

Now, talk about getting them to eat in the morning. Another story. They are the boss. :nod

I agree and have made her walk after she begins to limp (doesnt happen right away so it isnt shock) but on occasion it is so cold that she has actually yelped and stopped attempting to go cause her paws are so cold, i dont want to force her to the point that it actually begins to hurt her. We check her paws when she gets back in to see if there are ever cuts or ice balls or anything that would be causing her pain besides the cold, but we never find anything. The problem is she is the boss because i cant force her to go and i dont want her to have an accident in the house because she decides that the cold is too uncomfortable. I know that people will say "if she really needs to go she will go" but i think she is too stubborn or just derpy but she cant figure out that going somewhere closer would be easier for her. I think it is best to try to get something for her paws that she will tolerate but i know that when it comes down to it i can get her to go, sometimes we just have to go out 3 times in an hour, which makes it really hard if we try over my lunch break...

Guest GenieBean

I was going to suggest these as well though at this point I will bet you have difficulty with any boots. The blue ones fit Violet, who is a 60 lb female.

You probably need to start a counter-conditioning program with both. When you don't have to take her out, slip her coat over her head (don't worry about fastening it or getting it on right, just slip it over) and immediately feed something VERY HIGH VALUE. I am talking meatball, liverwurst, etc. - something meaty she doesn't get at any other time. Feed a few pieces, then take the coat off. Do this a lot. Same with the boots. You may have to start with picking up a paw and feeding, then work toward actually putting the boot on. Doing this somewhere else in the house, not by the door, may help. Again, you're practicing this a lot when you don't have to leave them on and go out. I would probably in the meantime avoid putting them on her as much as possible when you do go out until you've changed her association. Perhaps shoveling a big circle in your grass that you can walk her on (almost like a race track) would be a decent alternative? No salt, snow or ice to make her feet miserable at least and you can walk until she goes? Also, big high value reward when she does go and then right back inside, don't force her to continue to stay out.

Haha you would be correct, at this point she wont tolerate anything. She doesnt mind when we are indoors if we pick up her paws or touch them it is only when we have to put something on. We were thinking of doing some training with high value rewards. I live in a town house so i dont have much space but shoveling a spot in the back yard is a great idea, she definitely prefers grass in she can find any (under or near trees). My main question/concern is why she started acting this way all of a sudden. She has been fine with it for a few months now, this is not the first time she has dealt with the cold and her clothing. Did she finally just get sick of it or is there something else going on? She is usually so friendly and happy but she turns aggressive quickly now days when we attempt to dress her. I would have thought she would have started out hating them and grown used to them but it is the exact opposite.

I agree and have made her walk after she begins to limp (doesnt happen right away so it isnt shock) but on occasion it is so cold that she has actually yelped and stopped attempting to go cause her paws are so cold, i dont want to force her to the point that it actually begins to hurt her. We check her paws when she gets back in to see if there are ever cuts or ice balls or anything that would be causing her pain besides the cold, but we never find anything. The problem is she is the boss because i cant force her to go and i dont want her to have an accident in the house because she decides that the cold is too uncomfortable. I know that people will say "if she really needs to go she will go" but i think she is too stubborn or just derpy but she cant figure out that going somewhere closer would be easier for her. I think it is best to try to get something for her paws that she will tolerate but i know that when it comes down to it i can get her to go, sometimes we just have to go out 3 times in an hour, which makes it really hard if we try over my lunch break...

I know how hard it is. I do hope you can work out a solution with your girl.

Usually when something pops up like this I consider a possible medical issue. Something could be going on that has made the cold more painful, or that makes having things put on more uncomfortable, or she's jist not feeling well and thus is less tolerant. I would say if you don't make quick progress with high value treats, consider a vet visit. If you are seeing other signs - takes longer to get up or down, playing less, etc - do the vet visit first.

Also, for us its nit the cold, its the salt. So if areas have beenmore heavily salted that could be causing the increased aversion to going outside.

Edited by NeylasMom

Usually when something pops up like this I consider a possible medical issue. Something could be going on that has made the cold more painful, or that makes having things put on more uncomfortable, or she's jist not feeling well and thus is less tolerant. I would say if you don't make quick progress with high value treats, consider a vet visit. If you are seeing other signs - takes longer to get up or down, playing less, etc - do the vet visit first.

Also, for us its nit the cold, its the salt. So if areas have beenmore heavily salted that could be causing the increased aversion to going outside.

No offence NeylasMom, but the cold temps that you experience in DC are nowhere near the temps in MN!

I agree with investigating a medical reason when there is unusual behaviour, but the temps here in Ontario have been unbearable and I am sure they are the same - or worse - in MN.

And if the air temp is COLD, then the sidewalk is going to be COLDER.

Add to that the sand/salt issue and you have a very dangerous situation in which no dogs should be forced to walk barefoot.

I am fortunate to have a fenced yard so we don't have to deal with walking on salty roads. My guys run out, do their business and run back in. They are outside for seconds...no more than a minute ... and all three of them come in shaking and holding up their paws.

Rachel's idea of driving Genie to the end of the block then getting out to potty is certainly worth a try.

Otherwise you're just going to have to make her wear her boots.

Use a harness instead of a collar so you can move her more easily without pulling on her neck.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

And no offense to you, but I don't think you read the posts carefully. I'm aware of what temps are like in MN, but the OP, 3 posts above, questioned what could have caused this sudden behavioral change when the temps have been like this for months so I offered possible explanations to consider. I was also specifically referring to the issue the OP is having, which is the dog being less comfortable with or tolerant of having a coat or boots put on, not being outside in the cold. And absolutely nowhere did I imply the dog should be forced to do anything painful or uncomfortable, quite the opposite. I encouraged her to yse high value food rewards to get the dog comfortable with having those things put on so she CAN BE safe outside.

Edited by NeylasMom

Can you drive her to the end of the block? I know its kinda nutty, but...

That sound like a good idea. Sometimes the craziest thoughts are worth trying.

I'm sorry, but there are plenty of dogs in MN (and everywhere else) who wouldn't know what boots are to save their lives, and the dog coat is a relatively new "invention" that used to be for greyhounds and now seems to have spread. My boss's wife gave their daughter's 1 year old GSD a coat for Christmas. Can we all agree a GSD does NOT need a coat? Your dog is playing you.

And she's very good at it!

If you TRULY believe she will somehow be harmed by 10 minutes out in the cold, then can either force the issue, or baby her in tiny steps until she accepts it. Put her muzzle on before you put the boots on. And I agree, who is the boss here?

If it were ME, I'd let her try going naked a few times to see how she truly handles it.

She is NOT going to die if she's outside for a little bit in the cold. She truly won't.

And while I own dog boots, I would never force my dog to wear them. Don't know if you've all noticed--most dogs in most places go barefoot 100% of the time, and survive. And no, Massachusetts isn't MN or Canada, but it gets damn cold here, and I have been leash walking 5x a day since 1994, so I know a bit about cold, and a bit about walking my dog NO MATTER WHAT the temp is. I have no option.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would try some Musher's Secret on the paws. It protects and conditions them. If you are lucky one good application can last a day(be generous). As to the coat, just try with with out one. My dogs got so used to coats that one ran up and put her head in the arm of my nylon winter jacket!

Edited by cleptogrey

i don't think driving to the end of the block will work.... but i hope i'm wrong....

i think what gets her going at the end of the block is the movement.... so if you remove the movement and just place her at the end of the block, it might not work... walking is what moves things along... except when they have held it for sooo long and must go when finally let out....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.