How Soon Is Too Soon To Go On Vacation?

Guest Glazgo

We want to adopt a greyhound again and our local agency recently took in quite a few dogs so sooner rather than later would be good I think as there would be more hounds to choose from :). We were thinking of adopting on Jan 2nd (after new years), but we have a 4 night vacation starting on the 24th. Is that too soon to leave the dog with a sitter? My gut says yes because we may not know enough about the dog to be certain of their behaviour when left with another person/household, but maybe I'm being too cautious? What are your thoughts greyhound gurus?

It is NOT ideal, but sometimes, it is what it is. I got my galgo on August 22nd and had to leave for 3 weeks on September 10th. He spent much more time with my sitter than me, so he did not really bond strongly with me until a few weeks after my return. He did fall back in his routine quite fast however.

I did not know how he was, but I knew he was cat-safe (my sitter has 2 italian greyhounds) and clean. Turns out he peed in her house the first few days as he was confused with the peepee pads, but it got sorted out quickly. Everything went smoothly and she adored him.

If you have a trustworthy sitter that knows greyhounds, there won't be any problem. A lot of people fosters as well and are used to all sorts of temperaments. :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I would wait, if only because having a dog at home (new or otherwise) is one more thing to worry about and that can go wrong and mess up a vacation. You get a call from the sitter that there is a problem, you either have to cut the vacation short or worry about it though the vacation. Unless there is some reason you cannot wait until after the vacation to adopt (there will still be houndies out there to be adopted in February 2018, rest assured :-) I would enjoy the vacation without worries about a dog at home, and then make your transition to being a dog owner afterward. Remember. after you adopt you will not be able to take any vacations without worrying about your dog.

Good luck!

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Will the rescue agency keep the dog for you until you return from your holiday? If they have a dog that is a good match and know you genuinely want that one - maybe pay a deposit to show good faith - they may be happy to keep it in the knowledge it has an assured home but just not immediately.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

My Lila's foster family kept her an extra three weeks because I had travel planned. I told the group up front that I didn't want to take a dog before some date but they had a dog for me before that. It all worked out perfectly.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Mine were NOT happy the first time my husband and I went away, and it was 6 months after we got them. They were very upset and out of sorts for weeks after our return. I think part of it was the one was returned to the rescue before we adopted her and the other was at the rescue for well over a year before being adopted so I think there was some abandonment issues.

Now they are fine when we go away, and we've had the same pet sitter for the past 4 years so they are used to her.

Whatever you decide good luck! And glad to hear you are getting another houndie!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Agree with what Banjoman said. It might vary from rescue group to rescue group, but when I selected Sheba and had planned to go away for a week shortly after that, my group kept her until I returned from my trip. I signed the paperwork and paid the fee so they knew I was serious. Check with your agency to see what the options are.

If you cannot delay the adoption, I would recommend a home with another very settled confident greyhound that will look after your new dog while you are away. Perhaps this is the foster home or someone else who has a adopted from the group. Greyhound owners that travel should have reciprocal arrangements with other similar owners. I would not leave a new dog with a "sitter" unless that sitter was a greyhound expert.

Edited by KickReturn

• 3 weeks later...

Just seeing this, so perhaps you've made your decisions. The group I've worked with recently places all of their dogs in foster homes, and the foster family is eager for the chance to watch my dog (whom they were also considering as a foster fail). So check out your options with the group ... you may find that you find the perfect pup in early January, but it still needs to be vetted (so there would already be a delay in gotcha day).

I had a friend who had an adoption pending but because of similar reasons, waited 5 weeks to pick up her heart dog. She went to the kennel every weekend to visit and begin bonding with her pup.

Good luck ... and we're waiting to hear about your new family member!