More Puppy Advice Needed Please (Non Greyhound)

Cleo has been home now 5 days and today has been crazy. I knew it would be tough, and I have never had a puppy before.

She has decided to not come when called, bite my toes on her way by, eat dog poop and rocks (we pick up daily but she has found small chunks of Ruby poo), tried to jump on the furniture-which we don't want her to do until the chewing stages are over, barks at me while wanting to play..........and basically acted like an unruly booger.

I have been taking her outside every hour to potty, then run back and forth with her many times. We practice "come", "sit", "down", about 10 minutes (separately) 5-6 times a day. Inside I roll the ball, give her a bully stick, play with toys, etc.....she is getting a lot of exercise.

She gets wilder each day, and it is worse between 7-9 PM every night. Today she didn't want to be held. She is not afraid of anything or anyone, and she is only being treated kindly and without any yelling, thumping, etc. She knows the word "no", and usually responds to it. She is better about leaving Ruby alone.

So, I know this is typical puppy behavior, but today she seemed like she was out of control, had trouble with the training exercises, so I kept them very brief. I don't know what else I can do ? I can't take her any where until she gets all of her shots, so the back yard is it for now.

How do I train things like no jumping, no biting toes (nips really), when she seems wild ? Right now she is in her XPen so I could write this. I have watched a ton of You Tube videos, but none really said what to do about the jumping and nipping. I don't want her to be one that jumps on everyone.

She is almost 10 weeks. When do they calm down a bit ? I know it takes a while, but need to know there is an end in sight. I worry about her nipping the grandbabies. I have called all the classes in the area, and they all want her to have all of her shots first, so 6 more weeks.

HELP !!!!! good thing she is so cute..........................

Karen

Guest PackMomma

I used a crate training schedule with my puppies so what worked for me may be different, but, the schedule was something along the lines of wake up, out to bathroom, feed for 30 min, walk, even just a leash around the backyard is good it will start the leash training process, then 30 min free play, out to bathroom, nap(crate for 4 hours)then bathroom, walk, free play 30 min, cratenext the morning routine was recreated at supper, one more cycle at bed time and that was our early days. Once she was more trustworthy I would add longer free play times but if she got unruly and did not respond to correction she would be ignored for a few min. A sharp no followed by all the fun stopping seemed to teach the lesson of playing with people only happens when puppy has manners. I cant offer advice on the furniture since we have always allowed access.

Congratulations, they do grow up, and there is an end in sight, as far as grandkids, and nipping, this can be taught, i taught my kids if te puppy gets too exhuberant to say no, then cross there arms across their chest and turn around so their back faces the dog. I would then direct the dog to sit and allow the child to give a treat to the well behaved dog. My rule is all 4 paws have to be on the ground to recieve pets, attention etc. If they are jumping or mouthing the fun stops. (we are stil working on this concept with my adhd dog).

If any of this is helpful use it, if its not keep searching to find what is right for you.

10 weeks is WAY too young for "5-6" training sessions a day.

All that matters at that age is housebreaking. You can do perhaps TWO short short and FUN sessions. Pick ONE command. Sit is probably the best bet. Work on that.

It's never sounded to me like you particularly enjoy having a dog. I'm not sure what you thought was going to happen with a puppy in the house. It almost seems like Ruby wasn't any fun for you so even though you were pretty sure a puppy would annoy her, you got one anyway. Which is now annoying YOU. I don't mean to sound harsh.

All I can suggest is that you need to take a deep breath and try to enjoy it for what it is; a brief and fleeting puppyhood that is SUPPOSED to be fun for all of you. She needs exercise, food and water, and LOVE to become a great adult dog, but it will be up to two YEARS before she "calms down."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have read that when a pup nips you, you should yip (high pitch) back to them. That is what their littermates do when they are playing too rough.

Puppies are so adorable, but a lot of work. I'm sure it will get better and you will do fine.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

She's a puppy. This is all standard "What is wrong with this small young creature??" behavior. Try to enjoy it rather than stress about it! It'll be gone before you know it and you'll wish you'd spent more time enjoying the little terror :)

She's never had any experience with "rules" or "Not yet" or "Don't do that" (short of when her siblings told her off for being too rough), so she's not going to know what you want and don't want, and she doesn't understand that "Don't do that" doesn't just mean "Don't do that now" - it means "Don't do that ever".

She doesn't yet know what "come" means. To teach this, call her by name (or with "Come" - whatever you're planning to use to summon her) when you're right next to her. And I mean right there. Holding her, if need be, since puppy attention spans are so short. When she looks at you, treat. Repeat ad nauseam (for as long as your training sessions last). Slowly increase your distance from her. If it helps, put her on a leash so that you can call her and then very gently reel her towards you. If this doesn't work, you can sit and wait until she approaches you on her own, then say "Come! Good come!", or whatever you're using to praise, treat her, pet her, make it exciting and happy and great that coming over to you means treats and awesome stuff.

Pick one command to focus on for now. "Sit" is good and pretty easy. So is "Come" (and this one is pretty important!). Don't overwhelm her little puppy brain with too much stuff right off the bat. Once she understands the concept of doing things to get treats, you can start introducing new commands. You can focus on one and save the rest for when you start puppy training classes with her.

When you play with her, are you playing until she gets sleepy? If you're ending the sessions early, before she's worn out, she's going to get antsy. Pups that age are either "Go go go" or "Zzzzz". Doesn't seem to be much in between.

Usually, if their nipping doesn't elicit a reaction from you, they stop. You can redirect ("No no, chew on this" while handing them a non-treat toy and walking away) or just walk away and ignore it. Or, you can do what I did with my foster pups, and block access to your toes by sitting on your feet, wearing shoes, etc. If you wear shoes, it makes the anti-nibble training a lot less painful for you!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

She probably needs more exercise and play. As state above, she needs to be "played out" until she really will fall asleep by herself, usually right in the middle of playing some more! All of what she's doing is really normal puppy play behavior.

You can't take her to class, but you can still walk her around the yard and the neighborhood to get her leash training started. At this point she's going to be kiting all over the place, but you really just want her to become comfortable wearing the leash and collar and moving along with you. She also does need to be socialized at this age, so contact with lots of different people and calm adult dogs (who have been vaccinated and are currently healthy) is important.

Fortunately, small dogs mature faster than large ones, so you may be in for less time in the "puppy wars." And hopefully the poodle in her will mean she'll be more sensible at some point. But that probably won't seem soon enough!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

10 weeks is WAY too young for "5-6" training sessions a day.

All that matters at that age is housebreaking. You can do perhaps TWO short short and FUN sessions. Pick ONE command. Sit is probably the best bet. Work on that.

It's never sounded to me like you particularly enjoy having a dog. I'm not sure what you thought was going to happen with a puppy in the house. It almost seems like Ruby wasn't any fun for you so even though you were pretty sure a puppy would annoy her, you got one anyway. Which is now annoying YOU. I don't mean to sound harsh.

All I can suggest is that you need to take a deep breath and try to enjoy it for what it is; a brief and fleeting puppyhood that is SUPPOSED to be fun for all of you. She needs exercise, food and water, and LOVE to become a great adult dog, but it will be up to two YEARS before she "calms down."

GeorgeofNE - What do you mean, you don't mean to sound harsh ? You are ALWAYS harsh and down right mean in my book. Every time you post on any of my questions, you are very rude. I would appreciate it if you could just not respond to my posts, as it is always offensive. We love Ruby to death, and have enjoyed her immensely. How dare you say I don't. I have asked for help with her anxiety and her food pickiness, how does that say that I don't enjoy her ?

I KNEW a puppy would be tough, and what I am asking for here is the guidance of people who have trained puppies, and can give me advice. She is tiring at times, as are all new babies, pets, etc., but that doesn't mean I don't love her, enjoy her, and want to train her properly. Lots and lots of people have 2 or more dogs, and just because Ruby is a bit confused by the pup, she will get over it and accept the new pup into our family. Ruby is getting a ton of love and attention, like always.

You are so rude to everyone with your responses. It is not necessary. If you can't be nice, don't say anything at all.

I used a crate training schedule with my puppies so what worked for me may be different, but, the schedule was something along the lines of wake up, out to bathroom, feed for 30 min, walk, even just a leash around the backyard is good it will start the leash training process, then 30 min free play, out to bathroom, nap(crate for 4 hours)then bathroom, walk, free play 30 min, cratenext the morning routine was recreated at supper, one more cycle at bed time and that was our early days. Once she was more trustworthy I would add longer free play times but if she got unruly and did not respond to correction she would be ignored for a few min. A sharp no followed by all the fun stopping seemed to teach the lesson of playing with people only happens when puppy has manners. I cant offer advice on the furniture since we have always allowed access.

Congratulations, they do grow up, and there is an end in sight, as far as grandkids, and nipping, this can be taught, i taught my kids if te puppy gets too exhuberant to say no, then cross there arms across their chest and turn around so their back faces the dog. I would then direct the dog to sit and allow the child to give a treat to the well behaved dog. My rule is all 4 paws have to be on the ground to recieve pets, attention etc. If they are jumping or mouthing the fun stops. (we are stil working on this concept with my adhd dog).

If any of this is helpful use it, if its not keep searching to find what is right for you.

PackMomma - This is awesome, thank you. I feel a bit guilty for leaving her in her crate, but it seems like this is a great training tool. I appreciate your help and am implementing it today.

JaimeL- I have not heard this, but will try it out. Thank you !

ROO- Thank you. I have been able to teach her to sit, we are working on "come". I am playing with her until she flops over and tries to nap. About 30-45 minutes many times a day. She is enjoying chicken and Cheez Wiz when she responds, goes potty outdoors, etc. When I put her in her crate, I then take Ruby out for some play or a walk. Trying to make sure Ruby is getting plenty of attention, so she knows she is not replaced. I appreciate your help, again, thank you.

greysmom- I am playing with her until she is pooped out many times a day. It is nice to hear that she may calm down a bit sooner rather than later. We were set for a good 2 years of puppyhood, if not more, so I am not expecting instant results, just want to make sure I know what I am doing, hence asking you, the experts for your advice. I have been letting her drag the leash around the backyard, and of course all she does is try to bite it. We also use it for "come", which is slowly working. Thank you so much for your help !!!

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

You have been given some great advice. Nothing says good puppy better than tired puppy. I was overwhelmed with my first grey pup. Kala. And I had surgery when Bennny was only a year old. So I layed in bed and had him chase a red laser light. Best I could do after my back surgeries. But it worked and he got tired!

Agree with the training also. They say like 3 minutes several times a day. I taught recall with leashes clipped together and pulled them back to me, gently, saying come or here. What ever your word of choice. They will pick up other words as long as you talk to them just as you did your kids. Tiring as hell....that's for sure. I'm not sure I could do it. I want to get another JR since I lost my very special Precious. She was so special. But am waiting cuz I just don't know if I have it in me.

Take a deep breath, breath, and breath some more. OHHH! I used a pack and playpen for my yorkie. Worked like a charm but he was and still is tiny...

{{{hugs}}} and the light is there...just a while away....

Edited by GreyAcresMom

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Thanks Sheila..........the linking together of leashes is a great idea. Will try that with her soon. At first she came every time we called, and was given praise and a treat, but last night and today, she will not come all the way to us most of the time, until she is pooped out. She is just being silly, as she is certainly not afraid of anything. It is just new to me, so I love hearing all of these great ideas.

Karen

I can't take her any where until she gets all of her shots, so the back yard is it for now.

This is not true! Get thee to a good force free puppy class. Remind me where you live and I will get you recs. She will tire herself playing with other puppies, get important socialization, and you will get the support and resources you need.

Scroll down, click on download at the 4th statement on puppy socialization:

https://avsab.org/resources/position-statements/

GeorgeofNE - What do you mean, you don't mean to sound harsh ? You are ALWAYS harsh and down right mean in my book.

Rude, and also downright incorrect. But what do I know? I'm just a professional trainer who constantly trains dogs as early as 8 weeks old. The dogs in our puppy prep school program get pulled out of day camp and trained and socialized for an hour at a time. This is *after* they've been playing with other puppies all day. And yet somehow they manage to not only engage, but actually show excitement to learn multiple behaviors in a session. Oh, yeah, and in our puppy classes dogs ranging from 8 weeks old to 5 months also manage to play and train with their owners for an entire hour. Amazing!! :rolleyes:

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Physical exercise is only one part of the equation. Dogs burn energy through their brains, paws and mouths and you have to address all 3. The mental aspect can go SO far and people often overlook it. Specifically, food dispensing toys, Kongs/Topples, and interactive food puzzles.

No meals in a bowl - all through one of the above. My favorite food dispensing toys are the Bob-a-Lot and the Kong Wobbler, but if you want something smaller that you constantly have to fetch from under the furniture the IQ ball is also good. :lol Trixie makes my favorite interactive food puzzles. And kongs/Topples (I actually like these better, they're made by West Paw) should be layered - soft things and either kibble or hard treats - then frozen to last much longer. Everything I mentioned except the Topples are available on Amazon.

http://thecoventryschool.com/oh-no-you-didnt/

http://thecoventryschool.com/how-to-ruin-your-recall-easily/

http://thecoventryschool.com/the-perfect-puppy-recipe/

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Physical exercise is only one part of the equation. Dogs burn energy through their brains, paws and mouths and you have to address all 3. The mental aspect can go SO far and people often overlook it. Specifically, food dispensing toys, Kongs/Topples, and interactive food puzzles.

No meals in a bowl - all through one of the above. My favorite food dispensing toys are the Bob-a-Lot and the Kong Wobbler, but if you want something smaller that you constantly have to fetch from under the furniture the IQ ball is also good. :lol Trixie makes my favorite interactive food puzzles. And kongs/Topples (I actually like these better, they're made by West Paw) should be layered - soft things and either kibble or hard treats - then frozen to last much longer. Everything I mentioned except the Topples are available on Amazon.

http://thecoventryschool.com/oh-no-you-didnt/

http://thecoventryschool.com/how-to-ruin-your-recall-easily/

http://thecoventryschool.com/the-perfect-puppy-recipe/

Thank you...this is the kind of info I need. So you are saying to feed her only out of the feeding toys ? Do I use several different kinds, or the same one each day ? I will look at the links you provided.

I live near Salem, Oregon. I called several places on Monday, have registered her for a class that starts in October. I would love to take her to several different ones.

Everyone, from the woman I got her from to the vet said to not put her down anywhere other than my backyard and home, as Parvo can live up to 2 years in the ground. The vet told me that lots of people are refusing to vaccinate right now. How would I know that she would be safe in the classes ? Are vaccine records required ?

We have been taking her with us for walks with Ruby, but carrying her. We stop and meet everyone along the way, just not letting her meet the other dogs yet.

Karen

Several kinds, if you can afford them! When I was at Best Friends, the dogs who needed extra enrichment were fed out of food puzzle toys and the toy was switched up each meal. It can be as expensive or as cheap as you can manage - one was just a muffin tin.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

You've started the vaccination process with her, right? How old is she? Listen, I wouldn't take her to a dog park, but the whole idea about the timing of the vaccinations is that the series begin before the immunity from the mother wears off so the puppy is always protected. We have NEVER had parvo in our facility or had a puppy with it. You see parvo in shelters and puppy mills. And yes, any good school wil require vaccination records before puppies enter the facility.

Did you read the position statement I linked to?

Imo October is too late. I would see if you can find one sooner.

And fwiw, our puppy prep school clients go everywhere with us. Home Depot, shopping centers, vets office, Wegmans, pet stores, etc. The worst that we tend to see is kennel cough occasionally and puppies recover from that easily. If it were me, I would focus on boosting immune health and otherwise not worry about it, just be smart about where you go (ie not places with potential exposure to unvaccinated/sick animals).

As far as the food toys go, it doesn't hurt to switch between a few, but my dogs don't really get bored of any of them. But you can also vary what goes inside to keep it interesting.

Edited by NeylasMom

I never "school" trained my puppies until they were older and as I remember, that was between 6 to 12 months old. Before that, I focused on house-training (& words for that) and playing with the puppy. I would spend time throwing the ball and using that to teach "come". I would also spend time with "sit" and "lay down" but not heavy training sessions, more like short play training sessions of 5 minutes or so. I would also spend time walking the puppy and doing a little bit of heel, stay, fast. slow and so on ...

Be careful about over-using the word "no" and instead distract the puppy to do something else. The word "no" can lose it's value in training. I tend to use a sound like "ehhh" to let my dogs know that I need their attention and to stop what they are doing and I don't yell it.

Depending on the breed, the puppy phase can last up to 2 years but, be aware that some breeds act like a puppy all their life. As they grow - they will go through the shoes, books, papers, plants and so many other things. Not to mention couches, chairs, pillows, and so on.....

The antics associated with a puppy are fun - that's why people get puppies. The puppy should make you laugh and smile -- and your heart feel lighter ... Puppies are cute for a reason, so people will hang in there through the tough patches.

I never "school" trained my puppies until they were older and as I remember, that was between 6 to 12 months old. Before that, I focused on house-training (& words for that) and playing with the puppy. I would spend time throwing the ball and using that to teach "come". I would also spend time with "sit" and "lay down" but not heavy training sessions, more like short play training sessions of 5 minutes or so. I would also spend time walking the puppy and doing a little bit of heel, stay, fast. slow and so on ...

Depending on the breed, the puppy phase can last up to 2 years but, be aware that some breeds act like a puppy all their life. As they grow - they will go through the shoes, books, papers, plants and so many other things. Not to mention couches, chairs, pillows, and so on.....

The antics associated with a puppy are fun - that's why people get puppies. The puppy should make you laugh and smile -- and your heart feel lighter ... Puppies are cute for a reason, so people will hang in there through the tough patches.

Good advice, thank you. She does know "sit" and knows her name. Today she has been coming when called, so not sure what the last 2 days were about. I have been using the crate more, so that gives both of us some quiet. I have kept our play sessions very active to wear her out. Seems she tuckers out fairly quickly. Today we did about 5 30 minute outside play trips, mainly chasing after some tennis balls. The exercise is good for me too.

She is so sweet and funny. I love when she chases the ball, slides past it and flips over. She looks like a tumbleweed. We took a nap together on my bed today, and she was curled up under my chin. Just a few kinks to work out and all will be well. Ruby is even coming around and not paying much attention to her.

Karen

Reading this thread has brought back lots of memories. We were in your position at this time two years ago with a 10 week yellow lab named Finley. It can be overwhelming and very tiring with those "what was I thinking moments". We still have clothing with tiny holes from the sharp, shark like puppy teeth. The good news is that it does indeed get better as your puppy grows. Zeke, our big male greyhound, would run to jump on the couch so he was out of reach of Finley for the first week or two. They became bonded buddies soon after that with Finley tucking himself on the dog bed next to Zeke. I am sure Ruby will be more comfortable with Cleo over time.

You will notice the big steps forward as Cleo grows. Milestones appear at 5-7 months, one year and especially two years. As she grows you will find that wonderful bond solidifying and have memories of all those special puppy moments (such as your nap with her tucked against you). Kongs, squeaky balls, Nylabones and various indestructible (in theory) puppy toys were very helpful. Puppy class was a lifesaver with all kinds of great advice plus playtime for 5 very active puppies of the same age. Fun to watch and everyone brought a very tired puppy home after class.

The puppy years have ups and downs but the reward at the end is worth it. Finley has become my best friend and shadow. I am sure Cleo is on her way to holding this spot with you as well.

Best of luck with your adorable puppy.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

"Today she has been coming when called, so not sure what the last 2 days were about."

As they grow, puppies, like human kids, go through "phases." Growth spurts, hormones, fear or anxiety "phases," behavioral challenges - it's all a normal part of growing up. They usually only last a few days to a week or so, just long enough to make you want to start pulling your hair out and wonder where your nice, well-behaved puppy went to! Just keep working through it, re-directing, being patient, and they will eventually pass.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

All this puppy talk makes me rethink of ever wanting to raise one!! I had one as a small child, but as we all know, the parents do a lot of the care and teaching! I did the fun stuff like training tricks and playing. ;)

Keep at it with Cleo, I think you'll be wonderfully rewarded. Just remember what we always tell people on this forum when they bring a new grey home when they are overwhelmed - deep breaths, routine routine routine, it will get better. :)

PICS NEEDED!!! :D

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Rude AND wrong!

I'd say I was hurt, but I am not.

Your wish is my command. I will add you to my list of blocked people.

Busderpuddle, I think I just got blocked instead of you. :rofl

Busderpuddle, I think I just got blocked instead of you. :rofl

She blocked you and not me ? Hopefully it was both of us. Sounds like she has a list.... I have never blocked anyone yet, but was going to block her.

Sad it has to come to that however, I just want people to remember to be kind.

Karen

All this puppy talk makes me rethink of ever wanting to raise one!! I had one as a small child, but as we all know, the parents do a lot of the care and teaching! I did the fun stuff like training tricks and playing. ;)

Keep at it with Cleo, I think you'll be wonderfully rewarded. Just remember what we always tell people on this forum when they bring a new grey home when they are overwhelmed - deep breaths, routine routine routine, it will get better. :)

PICS NEEDED!!! :D

I have not been able to get any good photos of her yet, as I am having trouble getting any that show her. She just looks like a blob in the photos, and being all black with black eyes, you can't make out her face. I will keep working on it. I posted a photo from the lady I got her from. She is just a bit bigger, but looks just the same so far.

Thank you all for the advice. We are doing well and she is so sweet and funny. Love her and she is doing great with the crate training. No accidents in the house in several days, YAY. We are going to rename her, just need to narrow it down. Cleo is just not fitting her.

Appreciate all of your great comments and help with her. We will make it through this puppy phase in one piece..........and with a happy pup. IMG_5701-511x398.jpg

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

Busderpuddle: Frozen kongs can be great mind tiring activities. We used a Kong, put a piece of kibble like a cork in the small end, stood it wide end up in a mug and put a mix of mashed banana and kibble loosely in the kong and then filled low sodium chicken broth up to the top. Freeze it. When you want to tire out a pup, put it and them in an xpen (cover the floor with something - i used a cheap flocked back table cloth) and let the pup at it. Usually the pups tired before it completely thawed, but it worked wonders!

Good luck, 10 weeks down and only 42 to go before she's a year. ;-)

Fyi, that hole is there in theory to prevent them from getting their mouths stuck (without the hole it can create a sort of vacuum seal) so the safer option is to drop some dry kibble or treats into the bottom and then layer your soft and hard stuff on top. If I use something particularly runny like yogurt I'll just rest the kong in a Tupperware container when I put it in the freezer and it will catch the few drops that make it out.