Long Line Training

These are the fruits of our labour. I always train recall with my boys even if they will never be able to walk off lead. For this I have a 10 metres line with a knot at 8 metres.

We go for a walk and I let the line run through my fingers until I reach the knot (always make sure to wear my riding gloves). Than I call for my boy to stop and to come back to me. After just a few sessions Paddy knew exactly how long his range is. He even stops and just looks when we encounter bunnies or deer - no crazy hunting dance, screaming or running off. He is such s good boy (but he knows exactly ghst he is on line. I would not trust him without). I'm so proud of my crazy blue boy.

30101922qx.jpg

30101925tm.jpg

30101927el.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality. My cell phone is as old as time.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Paddy :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Good boy Paddy! Handsome too. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I feel like we should add a note to NEW adopters, especially those with no greyhound experience: a long line is a great training tool IF you know how to use it.

If you do NOT, please don't do this. Greyhounds can get up to speed in three strides. As someone who has had to grab a fast moving rope on a 75 pound dog (did NOT have gloves on), it is the most incredibly painful burn you can imagine, and few people could actually hold on to a rope if your hound picks the wrong time to try zoomies, chase a rabbit, etc.

This lady (the OP) is exerienced with both greyhounds and training.

:)

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

This lady (the OP) is experienced with both greyhounds and training.

And she's using a harness instead of a collar. :nod

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

And my mom is a trainer for sar dogs. I learned from her how to use a long line correctly AND to always wear gloves. And a long line with a collar is absolutely a no go.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the long line is a tool for training. That means constant interaction, observing. It is not for just walking.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

WOW, Great job with the training. I am curious how long it took you to train Paddy with this long lead ? I am wondering if Ruby would love to wander a bit more.

Paddy is a very fast learner. It took him 2 times to exactly get what he was supposed to do and to stay in range and to come back when called. It helped that I have dried lung that he loves for training treats. After that we started on sending (left, right, forward) and commands like stay, wait from distance.

Paddy needs to work because he gets into all kind of misschief when he gets bored.

In a fenced area we work off lead. I love this sort of distance training with my greys because they don't have to sit or down in command (but of course they can). It is a form of building a bond and learning to trust.

We start with coming when called and than move to sending. It is greyt fun for everyone.

But of course when they thought to much it's always.... Zoom Zoom.... letting loose some concentration energy (therefor fenced area 😉).

Edited by smurfette