Thinking About Adopting (Yes Another Post About This) - Thoughts Pleas

Guest LolaMe23

Guest LolaMe23

Again, thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate hearing differing opinions, I got something to think about from everyone!

So I just spoke to someone from one of the the 2 agencies where I put in an adoption application. Basically, she said that my work travel schedule makes me not a good candidate to adopt a Grey. She was very nice, and we spoke for about 30 mins. I did say that I had already found several grey only boarding options in my area, as well as sitters that will dogsit at their house (and only one dog at a time) but she explained that due to Greys' propensity for being rigid and needing a routine, this would be too upsetting to a greyhound and should not be considered ok as an ongoing thing (as opposed to a 1-2 vacations/year type thing). This particular agency does "blind adoptions" straight from the tracks (well after the vet and all that) and not fosters, which I had not realized until i spoke to her, it wasn't clear on their website.

I'm definitely disappointed. However, I have an application in with another agency that almost exclusively adopts out of fosters, so when they get back to me, maybe they will have a different opinion. Of course I will be completely honest.

I ended up going to two different M&G for greys over the weekend. The dogs were so freaking sweet, I am a little sad that it might not work out :( But what is best for the dog that has no choice in the situation is definitely the top of my consideration.

That is crazy. Don't give up hope, there are plenty of other groups that will adopt to you. Most people do work full time, that is life. As long as you are committed to your dog and have help when you are not at home, there is no reason you should not be able to adopt a grey. Not all would be the right fit, but there is a dog out there for you.

My only thoughts on your living situation would be the elevator, some dogs are fine with it, but my Razzy is terrified of them.

They are also wonderful first time dogs for some people. I adopted my first 15 years ago and my life has never been the same since. 5 dogs later, many many greyhound friends and experiences, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Good luck!! :)

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I usually stay out of these threads because the OP always gets great answers to their questions and this thread is no different. However, I need to comment on this:

but she explained that due to Greys' propensity for being rigid and needing a routine, this would be too upsetting to a greyhound and should not be considered ok as an ongoing thing (as opposed to a 1-2 vacations/year type thing).

As others have said get away from this group.

This group has no idea what a rigid schedule is. What your pup has at the track is rigid. 24/7/365 trainer or helper gets to the kennel between 5:30 and 6am and the same routine is followed. There are slight variances depending on whether the dog ran the night before or is running today, but for the most part everything is the same.

So if this group thinks it would be upsetting to break a rigid schedule then how does the dog adapt to people working 5 days a week and then all of a sudden this person is home for two days and they go for long walks or runs or to the beach? This isn't a rigid schedule nor does it have to be. The most important thing is getting up and letting the dog out to do his/her business and last time out at roughly the same time.

Dogs are very adaptable.

You seem to have a plan for when you go away and many times a dog enjoys its vacation while you are away either on business or vacation.

I would say before you actually adopt a particular dog that the dog needs to come to your building and you. He/she will probably go right into the elevator since it doesn't appear scary, but once the doors start to close and then the "room" starts to move you need to see how the dog reacts. If it seems like the dog is going to react badly I would talk to the dog and try and make riding the elevator fun.

If there is no reaction and the dog is fine with the elevator I would just let the dog be, especially in the beginning.

My 2 cents.

Dick

Guest LolaMe23

Have you ever thought about adopting a cat? They need less care and are rather independent. Just suggesting...

Well I had a wonderful cat until he passed away a few months ago. I miss him every day and yes, I agree cats make awesome pets. At this point though, I wld like a companion that I can leave the house with, go on walks with, take to a new hiking area (slowly at first), etc. That is literally the only thing that my cat didn't do...he was a bit "dog like" in that he understood commands, greeted me at the door, followed me around, etc. He never hid when people came over, he was the first to greet a stranger, and everyone commented on how crazy friendly he was. Aw man, now you got me started on my kitty..here comes the tears!

Guest LolaMe23

Thanks guys, it gives me some comfort that you all have been around these beasts and don't think I'm an automatically disqualification.

It really might just be that the dogs that one agency adopt out come straight to your house. I didn't expect her to say that at all. I definitely don't think that would be a good situation for me as a first time dog owner, much less first time grey adopter! Before she told me that I was disqualified, I actually almost said "oh wait, hold on a minute...what??" So all in all, no good for Dog, no good for me.

Re the elevator: Yea, it does seem to be the general consensus that its a dog by dog thing, but generally most will get used to it as long as their human treat it as no big deal (MOST...not ALL of course. So yea, a home visit before total adoption is def. a good idea).

Oh, this is a bit off topic, but thought I'd share. I've casually mentioned to a few co-workers over the last couple of weeks that I'm seriously considering adopting a dog, and specifically a greyhound. Gosh, the looks and comments I get!! "UGH, why?? You're going to get an abused dog? Why don't you get a puppy? Why do you want to adopt, you shld get a doodle, I know this one breeder..." etc etc. I shld've expected it but I was actually kinda surprised. Oh well, can't change people's minds.

We used to take our dogs to greyhound gatherings and none of those three ever had a problem with an elevator, and that wasn't something they ever encountered otherwise.

I would bet you can find a bomb-proof greyhound who can easily settle in to your lifestyle. There are lots of them out there!

As for those who suggest a doodle....ugh! Not that they aren't great dogs, but greyhounds are generally a lot calmer! And not all of them are abused! I've always felt that if the majority of greyhounds were abused, they'd have a whole lot

more "issues" than most of them have. We have had five and there was only one who remotely had issues (he was a little growly for the first year or so and was selective about who could get "in his space").

The one we have now, Phoebe, we got at age 2 (broken leg in her last race) and her biggest issue is if I forget to give her a treat before I leave for work. :lol or if we go for ice cream and (god forbid!) don't take her! Seriously, they are dogs. And very adaptable ones.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I've been going to the local old age home with various breeds of dogs for 17 years... with my Greyhounds for the past 6.

All of my dogs adapted to the elevator just fine. Some right away and some it took a few trips.

As mentioned, it is the movement that seems a bit weird to them... they usually just walk right in because after all, all it is just a small room. But when the 'room' starts to move it will seem strange. Nigel was the most timid, but he'd just squeeze in behind me, against the wall and then he was fine. After a few trips he didn't care at all.

So... don't base one--- or two or three-- 'nervous rides' on how the dog will always react.

They are very adaptable creatures :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My Toni hated the elevator at first - like Nancy above she had to ride it to get to her visiting floor at the retirement center. But she LOVEDLOVEDLOVED her visiting so she learned to tolerate it. Funny thing though - she would walk straight on, all the way to the back, and point her nose in the corner. Then, when we got to the floor and the door opened, she would BACK straight all the way off the car! I always thought she needed one of those truck beepers!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ugh. Why anyone pays money for a mongredoodle is a mystery to me! Plenty of lovely mutts in every shelter in the world! I refuse to lend credibility to these "designer" dogs by calling them cute names.

Robin W., you might have adopted nothing but easy going dogs perfect for new comers. But CLEARLY you got lucky. My first greyhound was a damn nightmare.

To the OP (original poster), I happen to feel that the sporting breeds are great for first time dog owners. A well bred Golden is NOT hyper. It's the pet store goldens you want to run from. A well bred Labrador is a fabulous companion animal. Again, avoid backyard breeders and pet stores. I grew up with English Setters, probably the most relaxed hunting dogs out there. Sweet, gentle, quiet, loving. But very hairy, and require professional grooming if you want them to look good.

My pick: a mutt from the shelter. Best dog I ever had was a half pit bull from a shelter. He was gorgeous, brilliant, devoted to me, and just an awesome dog. Sadly, his vet bills ran well into the five digits, so don't be folled by the "mutts are healthier than purebreds" we used to believe!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

IMHO doodles are a crapshoot. There's a whole generational thing with how many times a poodle was bred with the [insert breed here] and then that resulting doodle was bred with either poodle/[insert breed here] or another doodle of other lineage and what their generational breeding is. That could be the difference of getting a hyperspaz dog, ubersmart dog, a very poodle like dog or a very [insert breed here] like dog. First gen doodles are a crapshoot altogether as far as what bits of DNA they will have regarding sire or dam and the resulting puppies.

While some prefer doodles, IMHO you can pick up a shelter dog that may have equal or better personality traits that hit your markers than a bred doodle for which you'll be shelling out $$$$.

I've had a Lab and a Golden--yep, they are great dogs, but be prepared to put in time and energy every day into training and exercise. My Lab was a working dog, she didn't want to quit even when I was done, and she could pull me off my feet when there was something she wanted to get to (like the next search!) It took a lot of time to get her to stop picking up stuff from the ground, and FOCUS. She really didn't slow down until she got really old--she didn't let the fact that she had arthritis and LP keep her from BALL!!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Although we were certainly not first time dog owners when Nixon arrived here 7 years ago, I have to say that he settled in easier than I expected, as did Ruby and Nigel when they came. Did the fact that we already had 2 other mixed breed (mutts ;) ) make it easier? Probably... but I know so many 'new' Greyhound owners who's dogs also settled in easily.

Our Greyhounds settled way better than the not-so-easy chewed-everything-in-sight Springer and the non-stop shedding PointerX.

The Dobies all were good, as was our GSDx.

Labs really don't ever stop chewing. Or shedding.

There is no such thing as a perfect dog, but Greyhounds sure come close.

Yes..you could end up with a chewer. Or a counter surfer. Or one with SA. But that is true for every dog, no matter the breed.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I was a single almost 40 female living alone (well with a cat and rabbit) in an apartment and my greyhound was my first dog. I lived on the ground floor but I took my greyhound in the elevator to "see" how it would go and she had no reaction (I also did that with another mixed dog since and same result). I worried about off leash time but each time I took her to a family friend's yard so she could "run free" she had no interest - you had to keep at her and then she would do one lap, look at you for permission to stop and lie down or go back inside. Zoomies inside with a squeaky toy were all she ever wanted, along with her regular leashed walks. I advised the adoption group I was not "dominant" and wouldn't be good with a headstrong hound - my hound also came to work every day with me (perhaps this will turn out to be an option for you) - and they selected a "bounceback" for me as well so she already knew the ropes of living in a household. As you mention, I wanted a dog just to go everywhere with me as I am not a people person but wanted companionship. I participated in the greyhound sitting group and would highly recommend that for when you travel - the greys I looked after had no issue settling in when there was another hound there. That said, non-dog owning relatives were always offering to look after my greyhound, and she was fine being left with "someone she knew" as well....if the dog bed was there, it was all good! I worried I would not get approved either, but the agency was happy to find a hound that would match my living needs. Also re emergencies....you can ask for a hound you can "carry" - some of the smaller females would qualify. I had open hardwood stairs to deal with (not 8 floors) but I carried my larger (65lb) hound up and down multiple times a day at work for years. Some people in the apartment building where afraid of the "big dog" but quickly learned how docile she was - in these cases though if someone if really nervous, you can always wait for the next elevator, or they can wait for you to pass in the hall (same with if there is another dog). Good luck!

Robin W., you might have adopted nothing but easy going dogs perfect for new comers. But CLEARLY you got lucky. .....

NOTHING could be further than the truth :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl. Ask anyone who was on this board when she got Loca.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I have had 3 Greyhounds and currently have 2 Galgos. I have never had any trouble with any of mine other than having to work with them on house breaking. Well, DaVid did chew all of the corners of my furniture..lol. But, all of them settled in very well and very fast.

Guest LolaMe23

Thanks everyone!!

So my application at the remaining agency appears to be moving along. The woman handling my application spoke to two of the references I provided (they let me know that she called and told me a little of what she asked). But I have yet to speak with her. We've played phone tag a bit so we'll see...

It's funny, now that I'm going down this path, I've been uber conscious of all the dogs and cats in my bldg. I find myself kinda imagining for example, what will happen when I'm in the elevator with Dog for the first time and as it opens, there right in front of us is the friendly little white puff that always charges into the elevator as soon as it opens (always kept on leash). Over the years, I've encouraged his coming up to me to greet me b/c as I've said to lots of dog parents "I don't have a dog, so can I love on yours for a bit?". So I think it will be an adjustment at first to make sure these other dog friends of mine don't come straight at me anymore, right?

I'm sure it will turn out ok as long as both I and puff ball's parent has a good handle on our dogs (as his certainly seems to) but its just interesting to think about. There are also two TINY TINY chihuahua's that go out ALL the time b/c they are both a little older. I do get a little nervous thinking about Dog encountering these little guys for the first time (again, I've always seen them on leash or actually being carried by their dad).

Anyways, keeping my fingers crossed and enjoying lurking here and reading about all of your hounds!

NOTHING could be further than the truth :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl. Ask anyone who was on this board when she got Loca.

CLEARLY I did not get lucky, George of NE. . Loca was probably the most difficult greyhound ever. This was quite a bit before George New England's time on GT. Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

CLEARLY I did not get lucky, George of NE. . Loca was probably the most difficult greyhound ever. This was quite a bit before George New England's time on GT.

As someone involved in getting Loca to Robin, I can confirm that Loca was in no way 'easy'. :lol She was sweet as can be, but nobody would've called her easy. She was with me overnight, and tried to get my cat--actually grabbed him by the neck!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

:lol Robinw's Loca was ... a challenge in many respects. :wub: Robin thought through all those things, resolved the essential issues, and embraced the rest. Perfect.

LolaMe23, hope your application continues to progress. There are a few greyhounds who are more challenging than others, but most are pretty easygoing, adaptable dogs. For your first, having a good, communicative group to work with is useful. They can help you figure out if any bumps in the road are just normal settling in or something that needs more attention. As long as you have tolerance for a few bumps in the settling-in period, you should be fine.

For the elevator, you could always use a basket muzzle until you're sure your new pup is safe with small bold dogs.

Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You know, I'm getting to see things from the "other side" as my sweetheart has become involved in our local group as an adoption volunteer. Our hounds are beloved family members and I can't imagine being without them, but here are some of the struggles that first time hound adopters might not anticipate that you might want to think about:

-What would you do if your hound was afraid of floors without carpet?

-How would you feel if your dog turned out to be highly predatory toward small animals?

-What if your hound turned out to be a "breed snob?" (i.e. reactive toward non-hounds)

-How would you feel if your hound preferred to relax on a dog bed in another room rather than snuggle up to you on the couch?

These are just some of the things that I've heard from new adopters that have posed challenges for them. I highly recommend working with a group that utilizes foster homes, as others have suggested (and it sounds like that's your plan). When we adopted our first, I stressed that the single most important thing was that we wanted a dog with NO aggression/reactivity to people or other dogs. We called her our plug-and-play hound. Our subsequent hounds have been more challenging in terms of reactivity. I think so much about the adjustment process for a new hound is simply getting them exposed in a positive way to things that they may not have encountered in their lives before. Lining up a trainer who uses positive, evidence-based training methods to help can be a really good idea. And having ongoing support from your adoption group is really important.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.