Bone Biopsy

Beatrix has an appointment with a radiation oncologist next Thursday. We're seeing Dr. Ira Gordon in Springfield. Jen, he also works Fridays at the LifeCenter in Leesburg. So, I'm sure he's the same one. He was actually booked next week, but made room in his schedule for Beatrix.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Beatrix has an appointment with a radiation oncologist next Thursday. We're seeing Dr. Ira Gordon in Springfield. Jen, he also works Fridays at the LifeCenter in Leesburg. So, I'm sure he's the same one. He was actually booked next week, but made room in his schedule for Beatrix.

Yep, that's him. We actually went to Springfield to see him and for Zuri's treatments. He is wonderful. Please tell him I said so/said hi. He will probably remember me and Zuri because I was such a pain in his ass with my trillion and one questions. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Please keep us posted, Laura. All of our fingers, toes and paws are crossed for Srta. Beatrix.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I will post an update. I e-mailed Dr. Couto to let him know we have an appointment with Dr. Gordon. This was his response:

GREYT! Please tell Ira hi for me; he is a great guy!

Guillermo

I just hope Beatrix makes it until Thursday. We're just taking things day by day.

Guest MBewley

My Greyt boy, Domino, has been diagnosed with 'presumed osteosarcoma'. This after even a bone biopsy. Which, by the way, he does not seem to realize happened -- not even licking at the biopsy site. We are in the process of getting him included in an osteo study at Texas A&M, College of Veterinary Medicine and that is where they did the bone biopsy.

The way it was explained to me, the bone biopsy can rule out osteo, but only a post-amputation histology can absolutely confirm osteo. The bone biopsy was done this past Thursday at A&M a part of the initial exam / review for inclusion in the study. I am taking him back to A&M tomorrow; he will have amp surgery on Tuesday. The limb will go straight to the A&M histology lab. If osteo is confirmed, we will return 2 weeks post surgery to begin chemo and be randomized for the follow-up oral medication trial.

We had our consultation with Dr. Gordon (oncologist) today. He reviewed all the x-rays and agrees it's a mystery. He felt that a CT would be the best approach. He's not confident that they'd get the right spot for a bone biopsy with current information. Unfortunately he wasn't able to do the CT today. We've got an appointment for Tuesday.

Beatrix is about the same. Dr. Gordon added amantadine to her regimen to keep her comfy.

Sorry you weren't able to get the CT done that day. Hope it gets you some answers. Did they discuss the option of getting the biopsy while she's under if things continue to look suspicious?

By the way, I have an almost full bottle of Amantadine that I didn't use for Zuri. You're welcome to it if you'd like. I can put it in the mail next week.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes, Dr. Gordon mentioned the biopsy option. He just wasn't confident it would do any good without doing a CT first. He feels that he'll be able to identify within 80-90% certainty with just the CT. That would be enough for me. I really wish we didn't have to wait, but they squeezed me in for consult and we're already overbooked.

Dr. Gordon was glad to hear Dr. Couto and others thought x-rays were inconclusive too. Beatrix has a lot of vets interested in her case. He was very nice - sat on floor and pet Beatrix the entire time. It really put her at ease.

I'll let you know next week about meds. We have enough for two weeks. Thank you!

Was the CT yesterday?

Beatrix crossed the bridge on Monday. She declined rapidly during the weekend and it wasn't fair to make her wait. I posted in rememberance.

I'm late to the party, but any competent vet can diagnose a torn ACL without a single x-ray.

It's a very obvious thing, and all they need to check is the "drawer reflex" or something like that. Basically if the lower leg and be easily moved out of place from the upper leg, the ACL is torn.

My dog had a ruptured ACL and did have a TPLO (a mutt) and it took the vet less than 30 seconds to diagnose him.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck