Bone Broth

I've been reading about the benefits of incorporating bone broth into dogs' feeding regimen. Does anyone here have experience feeding their Greys bone broth? Pros, cons, recipes?

In my culture, bone broth is used as a supplement for the frail elderly, new mothers or folks who, due to illness or disability, are unable to eat nutritious meals. I would make it for my 96 year old father-in-law when he could not tolerate regular meals.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Hi LaFlaca

I've been making bone broth for about a year now. The recipe says share it with your dog but i haven't, yet anyhow. :-) Super healthy! I make it and after it is cooled i put it in ice cube trays so i have it handy. I give it weekly, sometimes more. i found the recipe online. i buy Organic chicken backs but you can use all kinds of bones. I use about 2lbs for the size of my crock pot. Cover it with water about 2 inches above the bones, add 2-3 tablespoons of "Mothers" Apple Cider vinegar. Cook for approx 24hrs. Cool, strain. I save the meat for a topper. This last batch I added 1 clove garlic near the end which i discarded after it was cooked. Garlic in that low amount does not hurt a dog.

Edited by CharlieRhea

My neighbor made some for me when I couldn't eat anything after my hysterectomy. It was good nutrition that I couldn't get in otherwise.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Hi LaFlaca

I've been making bone broth for about a year now. The recipe says share it with your dog but i haven't, yet anyhow. :-) Super healthy! I make it and after it is cooled i put it in ice cube trays so i have it handy. I give it weekly, sometimes more. i found the recipe online. i buy Organic chicken backs but you can use all kinds of bones. I use about 2lbs for the size of my crock pot. Cover it with water about 2 inches above the bones, add 2-3 tablespoons of "Mothers" Apple Cider vinegar. Cook for approx 24hrs. Cool, strain. I save the meat for a topper. This last batch I added 1 clove garlic near the end which i discarded after it was cooked. Garlic in that low amount does not hurt a dog.

Hi CharlieRhea! Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give this a try. My old lady, Wendy, is in good health and I'll do anything to help keep her that way. It is recommended to add turmeric during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Since Wendy has just begun showing symptoms of arthritis, I'll be adding this for it's anti-inflammatory properties.

My neighbor made some for me when I couldn't eat anything after my hysterectomy. It was good nutrition that I couldn't get in otherwise.

Exactly! It just never occurred to me (until now) that bone broth would benefit our dogs, too. Hope you're all better now. :grouphug

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Bone Broth is great! Full of minerals and also has a lot of joint support if you use certain bones. I just save bones in a bag in the freezer (chicken carcasses, rib bones, marrow/knuckle, etc.) and once a month make up a big batch. If you can add things hocks or chicken feet you will get extra joint support (it will actually turn into a jelly, not a liquid when it cools). I just throw it in the crockpot with some water and a few tbsp of apple cider vinegar. I cook it for about 36 hours and freeze in icecubes to pop on the food each day. I make a golden paste with tumeric and give that separately each day too.

No idea if it works, but my guy is going to be 10 very shortly and the vet said he has no stiffness or any signs of arthritis. He goes on runs daily, up to 10km and isn't stiff at all afterwards. No idea if it is the supplements or not but I figure they can't hurt, plus the dogs love them :)

Bone Broth is great! Full of minerals and also has a lot of joint support if you use certain bones. I just save bones in a bag in the freezer (chicken carcasses, rib bones, marrow/knuckle, etc.) and once a month make up a big batch. If you can add things hocks or chicken feet you will get extra joint support (it will actually turn into a jelly, not a liquid when it cools). I just throw it in the crockpot with some water and a few tbsp of apple cider vinegar. I cook it for about 36 hours and freeze in icecubes to pop on the food each day. I make a golden paste with tumeric and give that separately each day too.

No idea if it works, but my guy is going to be 10 very shortly and the vet said he has no stiffness or any signs of arthritis. He goes on runs daily, up to 10km and isn't stiff at all afterwards. No idea if it is the supplements or not but I figure they can't hurt, plus the dogs love them :)

Thanks for this! I can't wait to watch the video. Can you tell me how you make the turmeric paste and how you give it?

Thanks for this! I can't wait to watch the video. Can you tell me how you make the turmeric paste and how you give it?

I've just started giving it. You just mix 1 cup water with 1/2 cup turmeric and simmer it until it makes a paste. Then remove from heat and add 1/2-1/3 cup coconut oil and a tsp or so of ground pepper. I feed a tbsp or so twice a day with each meal. He eats a ground raw so I just stir it in and he doesn't notice it.

lol I am a visual person, so here is the video I followed from a Facebook group I am in.

I've just started giving it. You just mix 1 cup water with 1/2 cup turmeric and simmer it until it makes a paste. Then remove from heat and add 1/2-1/3 cup coconut oil and a tsp or so of ground pepper. I feed a tbsp or so twice a day with each meal. He eats a ground raw so I just stir it in and he doesn't notice it.

lol I am a visual person, so here is the video I followed from a Facebook group I am in.

Perfect! I watched the bone broth video last night and it was super helpful. Thanks, again.

I've been making bone broth for about six months. A batch lasts me about a month (I freeze most of it so it doesn't go bad).

It's actually super easy in the slow cooker... fill your slow cooker with raw bones. I usually use beef rib, leg, back, joint bones... or whatever rmb is handy works. I found that chicken feet weren't that great in it, but some folks swear by them. Toss in about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar (never measure it, just pour). Add herbs of your choosing.. I like thyme, or rosemary, or dill.. just for flavor. Add several heaping tablespoons each of Kelp Meal and parsley (if desired). Fill the cooker with water so the bones are submerged and put on high for about an hour, then set to low for 24 hours or so. Some cook it longer, some shorter. I found 24 hours seems to be perfect for my cooker which seems to run a bit hot on low.

Once the broth has completed cooking, remove the bones and strain out any large bits. Refrigerate for a few hours to cool. The fat will rise to the top and you can then break it off and throw it away. At this point, your broth should have become like jelly. Portion out and freeze what you don't need right away. The ice cube idea is awesome.... I keep forgetting to buy extra ice cube trays to do this myself.

I feed raw so I add a tablespoon or two to each meal.
Beamish gets silly excited when the cooker gets filled with his bones. He knows he's getting a bonus treat in his food. He loves it. When Mo was still with us, it was a great additive to her food. She suffered from lymphangiectasia so the nutrition boost was optimal for her. In her case, her improved condition was reflected in her bloodwork.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I've been making bone broth for about six months. A batch lasts me about a month (I freeze most of it so it doesn't go bad).

It's actually super easy in the slow cooker... fill your slow cooker with raw bones. I usually use beef rib, leg, back, joint bones... or whatever rmb is handy works. I found that chicken feet weren't that great in it, but some folks swear by them. Toss in about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar (never measure it, just pour). Add herbs of your choosing.. I like thyme, or rosemary, or dill.. just for flavor. Add several heaping tablespoons each of Kelp Meal and parsley (if desired). Fill the cooker with water so the bones are submerged and put on high for about an hour, then set to low for 24 hours or so. Some cook it longer, some shorter. I found 24 hours seems to be perfect for my cooker which seems to run a bit hot on low.

Once the broth has completed cooking, remove the bones and strain out any large bits. Refrigerate for a few hours to cool. The fat will rise to the top and you can then break it off and throw it away. At this point, your broth should have become like jelly. Portion out and freeze what you don't need right away. The ice cube idea is awesome.... I keep forgetting to buy extra ice cube trays to do this myself.

I feed raw so I add a tablespoon or two to each meal.

Beamish gets silly excited when the cooker gets filled with his bones. He knows he's getting a bonus treat in his food. He loves it. When Mo was still with us, it was a great additive to her food. She suffered from lymphangiectasia so the nutrition boost was optimal for her. In her case, her improved condition was reflected in her bloodwork.

Thanks, Jiffer. Which kelp powder do you use?

is there anywhere you can buy it already made?

Yes...I've found it on Amazon and at Only Natural Pet at http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Honest-Kitchen-Beef-Bone-Broth-Liquid-Dog-Cat-Treats/200084.aspx. I've not used these so I can't recommend them.

Bone broth from pastured animals is great, but no need to go to all of that work for your dogs when you can just go to the source. I feed chicken feet, duck heads, trachea and other cartilaginous cuts of meat to the dogs raw so they get the benefits without me having to do the work. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Bone broth from pastured animals is great, but no need to go to all of that work for your dogs when you can just go to the source. I feed chicken feet, duck heads, trachea and other cartilaginous cuts of meat to the dogs raw so they get the benefits without me having to do the work. ;)

Yup...that's what I have done for years but now the Duchess will not eat any RMBs. She'll bury them in the yard and forget about them. :riphair If I feed them indoors, she'll "bury" them under one of her beds. The smell of dead things alerts us. :rofl Well. I guess at her age a little eccentricity is to be expected. :lol:

Yup...that's what I have done for years but now the Duchess will not eat any RMBs. She'll bury them in the yard and forget about them. :riphair If I feed them indoors, she'll "bury" them under one of her beds. The smell of dead things alerts us. :rofl Well. I guess at her age a little eccentricity is to be expected. :lol:

:lol Fair enough, bone broth it is. :P

Have you tried ground? When Neyla got cancer, she started to get turned off by certain types of RMBs, but if memory serves she would eat it if it was ground up. Possible option as well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I made bone broth for Wendy on Sunday using turkey necks, beef neck bones and chicken feet. I added enough water to cover the bones, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and about a teaspoon of minced garlic. 24 hours in the crock pot, the first hour on high the remainder on low. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, I added 2 heaping tablespoons of turmeric. Once it cooled, I strained it well and set aside the meaty bits. These were fed to Wendy with her regular meal. There was, surprisingly, very little fat!

Since the Duchess is a notoriously picky eater, I was concerned that she'd turn up her pointy little nose at this new addition. I've been moistening her usual meals with 1 cup of broth and , so far, she's loving it!

I must admit that while the congealed broth looks unappetizing, it smells wonderful when heated up. I'm working up the courage to taste it. :blush Cleptogrey's post about Vietnamese Pho is encouraging!

I highly recommend trying bone broth for your picky eaters, frail or sick hounds.

la flaca, knock yourself out, a PHO MISSION....https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=vietnamese&find_loc=Miami%2C+FL . i like to add some Hosin sauce, Sriracha , basil, lime, and bean sprouts to my soup. the dogs can do w/o the extras. but you will come out smiling and content! this puts chicken soup to shame.

OMG, cleptogrey! There's a Miss Saigon restaurant 5 minutes from my house! :pepper Can't wait to go and Pho out! Thanks for the tip!

You couldn't pay me to feed Tumeric to my dogs again. The smell coming out of their pores is awful, regardless of the "pros" there may be to adding it to their diet. No thank you.

Broth, for sure. It really encourages non-eaters and is great for a bland diet. I use a pressure cooker, which supposedly is even better for getting marrow out of bones, and more of the good stuff, etc.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You couldn't pay me to feed Tumeric to my dogs again. The smell coming out of their pores is awful, regardless of the "pros" there may be to adding it to their diet. No thank you.

Broth, for sure. It really encourages non-eaters and is great for a bland diet. I use a pressure cooker, which supposedly is even better for getting marrow out of bones, and more of the good stuff, etc.

EEK! I didn't know about the Turmeric reek! I'll give it some time and see how it goes.