New Here And Looking For Advice. Is A Greyhound The Right Dog For Me?

Guest Cenel

Guest Cenel

Hello all,

I've joined this forum in hopes of learning more about greyhounds and if one will be fitting for me. Sorry for the lengthy post.

A little bit about myself. I am in my last year of college, and I won't be getting a dog for the next 1-2 years. Just trying to do my research well in advance to make sure I am making the right decision. I have grown up with sporting dogs my entire life - various retrieving and pointing breeds. I have always admired the sighthounds, and I have dreamed of owning one since I was a little girl. However, I realize they are quite a bit different from the dogs I have experience with.

My parents currently have labs and a GSP, and while I absolutely adore and love them, I am looking for a dog that will require slightly less vigorous exercise on a daily basis. The younger lab and the GSP need at least 2 hours of intense play to settle in the house. I will be entering graduate school next year, and I will have the time for a morning and evening 15-30 minute walk, which I know would not be adequate for a lab or GSP. From my research, it seems that a greyhound would be satisfied with 2x daily 15-30 min walks. Am I accurate in this assumption?

Now, on the weekends and when I have free time, I enjoy hiking. Nothing crazy, just 2-5 mile hikes on moderate trails at various local nature parks. How would a greyhound do with occasional moderate hikes? I understand that unlike the sporting dogs I grew up with, letting them off-leash is not an option, and I am okay with that. Additionally, how would a greyhound do with water? I know they are not natural swimmers, but do any enjoy splashing in shallow water? Water tolerance isn't a deal-breaker for me, just curious. I do go on an annual camping trip and would love to bring the dog along, but would be willing to use a high quality boarding facility if camping isn't recommended with greyhounds.

One of the big things that has always prevented me from pursuing my love of sighthounds in the past has been the fact that I own cats. We always had cats growing up, and my SO and I currently have one cat. Recently I have been researching this more and I have read that some greyhounds are considered cat safe, but there are no guarantees. If anyone here has cats in addition to their greys, I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

I would really like to adopt a young adult dog at this point in my life, and that is what is making me lean toward greyhounds - I know there are many retired racers that need homes. I've also gathered from my research that greyhounds tend to be on the calmer end of the spectrum, compared to some of my other "dream" breeds (salukis and deerhounds).

So, overall I am looking for a dog who will be satisfied with morning and evening 15-30 minute walks, who will be calm around the house, but will also be up for some moderate hikes and outdoor activities. I also live close to a large fenced in dog park that I could bring "future dog" to. I would like "future dog" to get along well with my parent's labs and GSP,

and I also want to make sure that it will be possible for the dog to coexist with my cat.

Does it seem like adopting a greyhound will be a good choice for me?

Most adult (age 3-4+) greyhounds are satisfied with a couple of low intensity exercise opportunities per day and will settle in the house and not be destructive. However, I would also say that most hounds prefer MORE activity than that... they just don't have an absolute need. You will want to find somewhere fenced where you can let a greyhound run off leash. There is just such joy in running for them that, to me, it is inadequate to not allow at least occasional romps.

I have always camped and hiked with my dogs. My oldest is almost 12 now, and up until 2 years ago he still did 10 km full day hikes (relatively leisurely pace, but in the mountains so a lot of up and down). My younger dogs don't even bat an eye at a full day hike.

I had rabbits long before I ever had greyhounds. We currently have 3 rabbits and 3 greyhounds, and we have fostered many hounds over the years. Work with your adoption group (ideally one that fosters dogs out first) and follow their recommendations on introducing your new hound to your cat, and chances are everything will be fine. I always recommend taking some precautions for the first few months while you get to know each other.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Hello all,

I've joined this forum in hopes of learning more about greyhounds and if one will be fitting for me. Sorry for the lengthy post.

A little bit about myself. I am in my last year of college, and I won't be getting a dog for the next 1-2 years. Just trying to do my research well in advance to make sure I am making the right decision. I have grown up with sporting dogs my entire life - various retrieving and pointing breeds. I have always admired the sighthounds, and I have dreamed of owning one since I was a little girl. However, I realize they are quite a bit different from the dogs I have experience with.

My parents currently have labs and a GSP, and while I absolutely adore and love them, I am looking for a dog that will require slightly less vigorous exercise on a daily basis. The younger lab and the GSP need at least 2 hours of intense play to settle in the house. I will be entering graduate school next year, and I will have the time for a morning and evening 15-30 minute walk, which I know would not be adequate for a lab or GSP. From my research, it seems that a greyhound would be satisfied with 2x daily 15-30 min walks. Am I accurate in this assumption?

Now, on the weekends and when I have free time, I enjoy hiking. Nothing crazy, just 2-5 mile hikes on moderate trails at various local nature parks. How would a greyhound do with occasional moderate hikes? I understand that unlike the sporting dogs I grew up with, letting them off-leash is not an option, and I am okay with that. Additionally, how would a greyhound do with water? I know they are not natural swimmers, but do any enjoy splashing in shallow water? Water tolerance isn't a deal-breaker for me, just curious. I do go on an annual camping trip and would love to bring the dog along, but would be willing to use a high quality boarding facility if camping isn't recommended with greyhounds.

One of the big things that has always prevented me from pursuing my love of sighthounds in the past has been the fact that I own cats. We always had cats growing up, and my SO and I currently have one cat. Recently I have been researching this more and I have read that some greyhounds are considered cat safe, but there are no guarantees. If anyone here has cats in addition to their greys, I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

I would really like to adopt a young adult dog at this point in my life, and that is what is making me lean toward greyhounds - I know there are many retired racers that need homes. I've also gathered from my research that greyhounds tend to be on the calmer end of the spectrum, compared to some of my other "dream" breeds (salukis and deerhounds).

So, overall I am looking for a dog who will be satisfied with morning and evening 15-30 minute walks, who will be calm around the house, but will also be up for some moderate hikes and outdoor activities. I also live close to a large fenced in dog park that I could bring "future dog" to. I would like "future dog" to get along well with my parent's labs and GSP,

and I also want to make sure that it will be possible for the dog to coexist with my cat.

yes a 30 minute walk in the morning & night and weekend hikes are perfect - my Walter would love you :) I think if you are picky with a good personality you will find the right hound for you. Pet your cat before you go to meet the hounds.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

A big differnece you will find between your sporting/retrieving dogs and greyhounds is in how they relate to your commands and how they think. Sporting/retrieving and herding dogs had to obey their masters to get their job done. Greyhounds had to be able to think for themselves. When chasing a rabbit, if they looked back to their masters for orders, they would lose the rabbit. This tends to transfer into today's world in that greyhounds are different when it comes to obedience training. It's not that they don't learn it, it's just that they learn differently and have to see what is in it for them. There are greys that are agility stars and some that learn tricks, but most of us are satisfied if the dog just learns basic manners.

In addition, don't expect the tennis ball to be a favorite toy. Greys are not natural retrievers--running is their game. If you throw the ball and ask them to bring it back, they will look at you as if to say "You threw it away so you clearly don't want it-I'm not going to bring it back to you." That said, I know of one grey that is crazy about retrieving tennis balls---I think he is a lab in grey's clothing. And my greys enjoy chasing labs that are chasing tennis balls. Labs don't always understand that my dogs have no interest in stealing the ball, they just want to run.

Re swimming: Greys have much less fat than other dogs so they are not buoyant and swimming is difficult. Also they lack the insulation that fat provides so they really feel cold water. One of my current greys loves to wade and splash in water. My other is scared of water--when she was young she ran on to what she thought was solid ground and it turned out to be deep water with plants on top. She made it to shore but the experience left an impression.

Edited by Scoutsmom

You also ask about hiking. All 7 greys that I have had loved hiking in their younger years and could easily do an 8 mile hike. You do have to be careful because, lacking the fat insulation, they are more prone to heat exhaustion and heat stroke. And I find their paws are more tender than some other dogs. I would never ask them to walk on a lava field, or hot rocks/sand up on Mt. Hood on a sunny day.

as for co-existing with ebil cats :catscatwell, my first grey was fine around our three cats. When she went to the bridge, Conrad came into our lives. Now down to 2 ebil cats, Conrad ignores the one, BUT is best buddies with the other. she has been known to actually lick Conrad's ears...INSIDE!

You might check with your local greyhound rescues, In my area, {LA Calif} one of them has lots of dogs and offers them up for people to walk around their property. {they have many that are currently giving blood, and a bunch ready for adoption, so maybe you can do the same in your area

I have cats; I would say there are possible more greyhounds that ARE ok with indoor cats than are not, but I have no actual facts on that! But a lot of us on GreyTalk have both cats and dogs.

Sounds like you're a good candidate to ME, except for the likelihood that when you finally stop going to school, you really don't know where you'll end up with a job, and many places it is very difficult to find housing with a large dog. I'm in the Boston area, and there are very, very few places, even if you buy a condo, that allow dogs over 35 pounds. Personally? I'd suggest you wait until you graduate to get any kind of pet. Just way too many "moved, couldn't keep him" animals in shelters all over the country. Best of luck!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My Johnny likes a good nature walk, too. We'll be going to the Smokies for a weekend, so I hope he'll do well on a mountain trail.

I have four indoor cats, and my mom has a bunch. He's done really well with them, he was listed as "cats maybe", and it only took a couple of corrections from me and nose swats from the cats to get him in line :D . He will tell the cats off if they try to invade his personal space, but will let them eat from his bowl. However, he will go :bunny for outdoors cats, he still hasn't learned they aren't prey.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest Cilla

Regarding hiking, due to the low body fat, greyhounds can have an hypoglycemia. It happened to my hound during an hiking day and after that our vet adviced me to bring some sugar or honey to put in his mouth when he begins to look too tired.

Walks are no problem. We go for potty 3-4 times a day, 2 of those are walks around the block (the other two quick outs to do their business)

They are calm around the house (the older, the calmer) and can handle hikes without issue. We've been out an entire day, in the car for a drive, stop to grab a bite 10 mins down the road and they are up and at em wanting to do more! Now everyone is of course different, but hiking isn't an issue.

They co-exist with cats fine, make sure the adoption group knows you have one and they should be able to test if the dog is cat safe. They also tend to get along with other dogs as they are mellow, but be aware they might not be rip roaring to play. They really do prefer their own breed.

Be aware, we really aren't kidding when we say they aren't like other dogs. More likely than not, your new pup will be shy (we're talking a month to a year to come out of their shells), not cuddle, not really do dog things you are used to from your GSD like fetch. Oh and you mentioned swimming, most sink like a stone. My Kasey hated the water, Ryder loves it. You don't know what you are going to get. And the boarding thing, that will be a no no. You'll prolly sign something for adoption that says this. That's not to say that you can never go away, but you'll likely find someone in a home like setting to watch your dog for you and not a boarding kennel.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've boarded Johnny three times, he did excellent. I made sure to emphasize to the kennel that he needs his own space and solitary play. Fortunately the staff was familiar with greyhounds, too.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I think it sounds like a greyhound would be a good choice. I get my dogs from a program that, while it doesn't use the foster home system, tries to match dog personality to your wants and needs.

When I went to dog parks, I would go at times when there weren't any/many others there so there wasn't as much possibility of trouble with unsupervised dogs or foolish people bringing little dogs into the large dog section. Little dogs might be seen as prey in the excitement of the moment. When I got my first greyhound I already had cats, and after getting hounds that were bounces who had already lived with cats or had been deemed "cat trainable" by the adoption program, there were never any problems after careful introductions and continued reasonable precautions (things like never letting the cats and hounds outside together, and always making sure there were cat-safe places available throughout the house -- just in case). The hounds I have now are eminently not cat trainable, and I knew when I got them that cats would never be an option.

And the boarding thing, that will be a no no. You'll prolly sign something for adoption that says this.

Never heard of this. I usually try to take my hounds on trips (more fun!) or get someone to stay with them, but they have survived boarding. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

There's nothing in what you describe that would be a no-go for an adoption group, IMO.

When you're ready, find an adoption group in your area and tell them all of this! The more honest information they have, the better they can match a dog to your lifestyle.

Training a sighthound *is* different from other breeds. As mentioned, they are bred to be independent thinkers, not to work cooperatively with people. So their level of engagement in pleasing their trainer is very different. But once you find a way to motivate them, they respond as well to training as other dogs.

There are a lot of differences of opinion about nearly everything regarding adopting a greyhound! You'll need to research the options available to you and decide what's best for your dog (when you have one). FWIW, I've done all of those things - boarded my greyhounds, take them with me travelling, sat on at home, gone to dog parks, not gone to dog parks, feed raw, don't feed raw, grain free or Purina, leashed vs unleashed.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 3 weeks later...

They never wanted the greyhound to be locked up in a crate again outside of your own home. They wanted home boarding only because his track days were over, no more crating. To be fair, I don't have an issue with this. I'd prefer to leave my dogs with someone in a home with greyhound experience instead of in a kennel (especially because they are used to a home environment and not a boarding facility) - but I know that finding someone in home to watch your dogs is not always an option.

I have heard sub-par acclaims from other individuals about their own experiences with non-greys and I personally would be too worried because greyhounds are different than a border collie for example. Many boarding facilities here are a decently sized space with a bed and food station, and might have access to the outside to a fenced space to eliminate as they need 24/7. I don't know what kind of human stimulation as some here don't take the chance to give a dog a walk (hence the fenced access from their space). Some feel very dark or dingy and isolating - overall not a good environment. Also not adequate heating in the winter/cooling in the summer. I think I'd be heartbroken to see one of my boys on a small bed on a concrete pad surrounded by caging with other dogs constantly barking around them.

I don't think facilities care enough to give special care to a dog if you asked, they indiscriminantly treat a grey like a GSD or Aussie. It's a blanket statement, but in my experience from talking with others is that this is the case. Individuals have come back from vacation to an overfed dog, another was sickly, another didn't receive their medication as directed, and these aren't even greys. So perhaps the general stigma that dog boarding facilities are not good therefore not appropriate for greys is what they already knew before I even gathered details over the years.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015