Why Does My Foster Dog Bite Her Nails?

Hi!

I've decided to foster a Greyhound. So far so good this first days I've noticed she is constantly licking her paws and started to bite her nails. The sound of her biting her nails is disturbing. I've tried to say NO-STOP, but if I am not looking at her she starts again.

She is a 3 y.o. Greyhound mix and is in fostering because of weight loss. She is very hard to eat and now is very thin.

I've read about it online, but I've seen multiple reasons for nail biting...boredom, nutrition, anxiety, food allergy.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I don't know if is food allergy, because they brought her food and treats from her first foster home, so I haven't changed any food at all.

What I do now is when I see her doing this I say stop and after a while I bring her some dental chew or antler, so she starts to eat them instead. But I am not with her all the time so I need to figure out how to improve this behavior before her getting wounds.

My girl bites her nails. It is annoying, but, I never thought of it as anything terrible; except to my ears.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My girl bites her nails. It is annoying, but, I never thought of it as anything terrible; except to my ears.

The problem is, sometimes with the nails she bites her paws, so it has started to hurt and take some blood. I'm afraid of infections or self mutilation might be an issue in the future.

The problem is, sometimes with the nails she bites her paws, so it has started to hurt and take some blood. I'm afraid of infections or self mutilation might be an issue in the future.

Then your's is more intense.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We have had a couple of GH's bite thier nails over the years. I never considered it an issue, just a weirdness. : lol

However, your issue, since she is breaking the skin, is very disconcerting. My first thought is boredom. Perhaps consider adding an enrichment toy or a treat toy, like a kong. Also, remember that a tired dog is a good dog. Consider longer walks and harder playtime. :)

Please remember that paw infections can be tough to treat, so be aware of them.

As an odd thought, perhaps some boots or socks with bitter apple can help deter her.

Stress could be a factor also.

Good luck and please keep us updated. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Prior to becoming your foster was this behavior observed? Could it possibly be an irritation from carpet in your home or chemicals on your lawn?

Bitter Yuck is stronger than Bitter Apple and was suggested by my vet because it doesn't sting open wounds.

Has she had a recent vet check?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Prior to becoming your foster was this behavior observed? Could it possibly be an irritation from carpet in your home or chemicals on your lawn?

Bitter Yuck is stronger than Bitter Apple and was suggested by my vet because it doesn't sting open wounds.

Has she had a recent vet check?

She has been fostered for just one month with the past foster family and they observed this behavior of biting nail, but not tearing the skin. And yes she had a recent vet check. I guess it's her nerves, because she got depressed in the kennel. I will try to bring her more enrichment and maybe a boot to avoid tearing more her skin.

You need to get her back into the vet to rule out any medical issues and if there are none, consider working with the vet and a force free behavior consultant on the issue. If its an OCD behavior, you want to intervene asap. OCD behaviors often require medication to be treated and the sooner you intervene the better.

In the meantime, I would not correct her. Increase her exercise and mental stimulation (food puzzles, stuffed kongs, good chew items, training sessions, etc). And give her something else to work on at times when she is most likely to do the licking. Stuffed kongs filled with soft foods like PB, Greek yogurt, canned dog food, baby food, etc would be perfect for her.

But you need to see the get regardless. If she's damaging her feet you'll need to treat that. I'd also have the vet look closely for signs of SLO.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Itchy feet are a classic sign of allergies.

Itchy "armpits" and ears are often pollen allergies; itchy feet are often food allergies. Not all the time, but often.

This particular matter has nothing to do with her breed. It's just a general dog thing. I think she needs to be seen by the vet and be assessed.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Neylasmom, something's up and even if it's physical, you want to get it under control before it becomes a habit. I wouldn't rule out a food allergy, if she was fostered for only a month and was already chewing, the allergy could still be getting worse.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Allergies or anxiety. Time for a visit to the vet before infection sets in. Not to mention that she's probably quite uncomfortable.

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing I'd consider is environmental allergy. My Sobe licked and chewed his feet and nails every fall when there were leaves on the ground. No other allergy symptoms. Give Benadryl for a few days and see if that helps. If it does - great. If it doesn't, you've ruled one thing out. Benadryl won't hurt her at all.

Next - are her nails too long? Some dogs hate it when their nails are long and will try to chew them off. Another easy fix.

If those 2 easy fixes don't work - get to the vet. There may be a medical issue. And then, there's OCD type behavior. I'd rule out everything else first.

I'd agree with others to distract, not correct when it happens. The dog isn't being "bad", there's just some reason you don't yet understand.